Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed the STS self cancelling turn signal device on a Ninja 400? I am gonna install one on my 400. It sounds pretty straight forward. The only question I have is how do I know which wire in the harness that go to the turn signal on the handlebar is 12 volt and which is ground? Thanks-CarlE

·
Registered
53 Posts
A multimeter?
If it shows 12V when the ignition key is in ON position, then the wire connected to the red probe is +12, the one connected to black probe - ground.
If it shows -12V - the other way around.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
You can also use one of those cheap probes that has a light in the head of the handle. Stick the probe through the insulation until you hit the wire and see if the light comes on. If your the right side of the flasher unit the light will go on a off like a turn signal.
Just make sure you have the lead on the probe hooked to an earth point on the bike, ignition turned on and turn signal switch activated if necessary.

Earth or ground wires are generally black and powered wires are usually red, brown, white or green depending on their function.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Amnezida and Kiwi. Would there definitely be a 12v wire and a ground wire in the bundle of wires that go to the turn signal/horn/hi-lo/flasher unit?

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Thank you Amnezida and Kiwi. Would there definitely be a 12v wire and a ground wire in the bundle of wires that go to the turn signal/horn/hi-lo/flasher unit?
Should be but I haven't had a rummage in that part of the bike yet so you will just have to have a poke around and see what you find.

·
Registered
12 Posts

I have installed this system on mine. I didn't find 12V power in the same cable bundle from/to turn signals. I found one on the cable bundle that is nearby of the empty space where you would put the DC power relay, there are two big cable bundles one for the relay which is disconnected (unless you already have the relay) and another bundle which has multiple cables. Red and black are 12V but there are multiple reds, use a multimeter to find the correct ones.

Took me a while (and lot of frustration) to find 12V power. Not too happy with it and will probably remove mine and go back to factory and sell it or throw it away, nothing wrong with it but sometimes (not too often but it has happened) turns off the turn signal before it should so now, more often than not, I find myself double and triple checking if the turn signal is still on which is a distraction.

EDIT: I just removed mine and took pictures of the 12V cables that I used. One is the FULL red and the other one is Black with yellow line (see pictures below).

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts