Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

Slip slidin' home

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Keeper 
#1 ·
Friday night the weather was not as expected... But "Ninja" means "one who endures/perseveres" so onward we went... Here's how she looked once back home.

The stock rear tire is not suited for the snow, to be sure. Not even touching the brake but rolling off the throttle to slow down for a traffic light and she started shimmying. When it comes time to change tires I'll definitely have to find something with more tread.

The next day I overheard some people talking probably about me. "There was some dude out there on a motorcycle! I wouldn't even have wanted to ride my snowmobile in that!"

Certainly the worst conditions I've ridden on with this bike so far. Not something I would choose normally, but sometimes the weather throws a curveball at ya.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Dang yeah! Been there and done that a couple times before when I was much younger and my motorcycle was my only means of transportation, after that once I got a truck and always tried to have a 4 wheel vehicle as well, if I did not have to, there was absolutely no way, if it was cold enough to possibly snow and stick, nope..even if it did not..........bum rides, call in sick, walk, hitch hike, etc. whatever it took.(we did not have Uber or Lyft back in the 90's)

#9 ·
The idea of any motorcycle racing is to me scarier than riding in the snow. I can handle slip-slidin' about (once got caught in a huge storm going over Carson Pass, maybe two inches of fresh accumulation, making the rear end step out while motoring in a straight line uphill -- on my old Yamaha XJ600), but riding at the absolute limit -- egad (he says having been an absolute demon over Hecker Pass in California on weekly trips over a decade ago -- scary to think about now though).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.