Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,547 Posts
The bikes come super lean from the factory to be able to make the emissions look good. They run much hotter and have a jerky feel to the throttle. This is mostly on the lower half of the rpm band. Timing is also set for better emissions so a reflash usually involves re-mapping to add more fuel and fix the timing. The emissions do change, but you get a bike that runs the proper way. As a benefit, the bike runs cooler, the throttle smooths out and the bike acts a bit peppier. The fuel mapping is very little so the environmental destruction is almost un noticeable. There are several places to get your ECU re flashed. I have only used Norton. He has spent many many hours on the dyno and racing to come up with a set of great maps. He also puts in tons of support for our bikes so I feel really good about directing my money to him. My N400 i put on an Akra full and racing air cleaner and had the bike dyno tuned. It was about twice the price of a Norton Flash but it was not around at the time. My wife's N400 has a Yoshi slip on and a Norton Flash. If I was to change something on my bike I would go to Norton. You could also re-map yourself. I went this route at first but I became impatient at my poor ability of tuning so I ripped it off the bike and eBay it went. There is a lot of great info on the forum on re flashing with the power of search or you can just ask.

My suggestion is to get your wife a bike, it will be much easier to pry her hands from the cash when she is in love with her bike:love: (just speaking from experience).

As far as loud, my Akra is insane loud, but only when hard on the throttle. It is not so bad creeping in and out of the neighborhood as Banjo said. The loud is great for lane splitting, I can see people half a dozen cars up jerking over to give room.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Thanks! I will consider it. I was also thinking about Norton, I really appreciate his contribution on the forum and the dedication to this bike. As I have a Z (therefore street oriented) my needs for performance are more modest than for a racer. Now that I rode the bike and got used to it, I do notice the jerkiness of the throttle and it bothers me that it runs hot (I always start checking the temperature when in traffic but so far so good). Good to know about the minimal environmental impact, my conscience thanks you :) Although I will keep this info from my teenage daughter, she's always on my case about riding the bike don't want to give her more ammunition. At her age, she's just like the throttle on this issue: it's either BLACK or WHITE.

My suggestion is to get your wife a bike, it will be much easier to pry her hands from the cash when she is in love with her bike:love: (just speaking from experience).
Well, that was the plan, she even started taking a riding class before me but she's no longer interesting in riding bikes since we had the kids. She does have a Honda Ruckus that she used to ride a lot but since we moved to the suburbs, she no longer uses it. I am trying to get her back into it. The other day we saw a family of 4 on two motorcycles which I found really cool. But so far, her interest does not come back.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Although I will keep this info from my teenage daughter, she's always on my case about riding the bike don't want to give her more ammunition. At her age, she's just like the throttle on this issue: it's either BLACK or WHITE.
She'll grow out of it, and join the rest of us oldsters where it's all just shades of gray.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I finally found a slip-on that I like: a second handed Yoshimura.

Here are my thoughts on slip-ons, keep in mind that all this is subjective and I am a fairly new rider at this point (about 2 seasons worth of riding). Both aftermarket slip-ons that I have are second-hand, bought on from members here. This is a great way to save a buck.

Stock exhaust
  • Pros: Quiet. Yes, I like quiet, allows me to be more aware of my surroundings and also not being obnoxious. The sound isn't too bad either.
  • Cons: Too heavy and not really pretty.
  • Bottom line: for street, is OK. Keeping it allows to save money to put elsewhere.

Kemimoto slip-on
  • Pros: Really light. This is the lightest one of the bunch. Also, it is really, really inexpensive, about 10 times cheaper than the Yoshimura. The looks are OK, pretty well made.
  • Cons. Not many but the sound is OK while not having a particular richness to it.
  • Bottom line: for weight reduction, the best bang for the buck. It has a sound baffle that can be removed (I didn't).

Yoshimura Alpha slip-on
  • Pros: Lighter than stock, AMAZING sound, AMAZING look. Sound is a low growl at idle then reaches a snarl as you accelerate.
  • Cons: Not many, it is just more expensive and a bit heavier that the Kemimoto.
  • Bottom line: my favorite: I love the sound and I have the feeling that it allows me to have a better feel of the bike, what it does. I feel an increased sensation of control. The weight reduction is enough for me. This one also has a baffle that I did not remove.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts