Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First rev after :20 in the video. I give it gas, hear a popping sound and no power to engine. Not sure if related, but while starting the bike in neutral for the past 2 days, I've had an issue where it will jump from neutral to 2nd gear as soon as I start the bike; jump forward and stall out. I did put 93 octane gas in the bike the day before this backfire happened from a fairly sketch gas station. The bike has around 170 miles currently. Oil levels / Coolant levels are all good. As far as the acceleration, it feels like I need to give it more throttle than I did when I first got the bike to get it moving. Also seems to be idling somewhat rough compared to when I first got the bike. Just trying to guage whether I should bring it to the mechanic, or if this is somewhat normal before I go spend money on it. I'm just frustrated having issues like this on a brand new bike.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Nick, what is the idle speed when the engine is fully warmed up? Normal idle speed is 1300 +/- 50 rpm when the engine has reached normal running temp. If the idle is out of spec, unfortunately, the idle is adjusted automatically by a the ECU via a valve actuator. Normally, you cannot manually adjust the idle speed. Do you habitually rev it after a cold startup? Cause that's a big no no.

The popping is normal, mine will pop few and wide.

The transmission will go through "growing pains" as it breaks in. You will encounter miss shifts, false neutrals, no engagements, but it will smooth out after the first oil change, in 600 miles or so.

Reactions: TaiMc and nick

·
Registered
656 Posts
First rev after :20 in the video. I give it gas, hear a popping sound and no power to engine. Not sure if related, but while starting the bike in neutral for the past 2 days, I've had an issue where it will jump from neutral to 2nd gear as soon as I start the bike; jump forward and stall out. I did put 93 octane gas in the bike the day before this backfire happened from a fairly sketch gas station. The bike has around 170 miles currently. Oil levels / Coolant levels are all good. As far as the acceleration, it feels like I need to give it more throttle than I did when I first got the bike to get it moving. Also seems to be idling somewhat rough compared to when I first got the bike. Just trying to guage whether I should bring it to the mechanic, or if this is somewhat normal before I go spend money on it. I'm just frustrated having issues like this on a brand new bike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwNqoGXj6i4
If this was just started up after sitting in the heat, my moneys on the pressure in the fuel line hadn't fully built up yet, that same thing happens to me on occasion.. also if you over fill the gas tank it can over flow causing issues as well. You don't need 93 Octane fuel - just a wast of money and does absolutely nothing for you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nick, what is the idle speed when the engine is fully warmed up? Normal idle speed is 1300 +/- 50 rpm when the engine has reached normal running temp. If the idle is out of spec, unfortunately, the idle is adjusted automatically by a the ECU via a valve actuator. Normally, you cannot manually adjust the idle speed. Do you habitually rev it after a cold startup? Cause that's a big no no.

The popping is normal, mine will pop few and wide.

The transmission will go through "growing pains" as it breaks in. You will encounter miss shifts, false neutrals, no engagements, but it will smooth out after the first oil change, in 600 miles or so.
I don't rev it completely cold, ever. I start the bike up and let it sit till around 2-3 bars on the temp gauge. But I will definitely stop revving it period after starting up. This is a learning process for me, have never owned a car or a motorcycle, so I really don't know much about engines (learning every day). Just glad this forum exists, lot of knowledgeable people on here to learn from.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I don't rev it completely cold, ever. I start the bike up and let it sit till around 2-3 bars on the temp gauge. But I will definitely stop revving it period after starting up. This is a learning process for me, have never owned a car or a motorcycle, so I really don't know much about engines (learning every day). Just glad this forum exists, lot of knowledgeable people on here to learn from.
Yeah, on cold startup, I usually let the bike warm up for 2 to 3 minutes whilst donning gear and checking indicators and brake lights with a quick circle check around the bike.

Don't let it warm up past 5 minutes as you'll just be wasting gas.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My bike had been sitting for a couple of weeks. I went to start it up and heard some popping when revving. I never knew that you weren't supposed to rev it cold.
I am just wondering if letting it sit is doing any damage to the carburetor.

·
Registered
725 Posts
My bike had been sitting for a couple of weeks. I went to start it up and heard some popping when revving. I never knew that you weren't supposed to rev it cold.
I am just wondering if letting it sit is doing any damage to the carburetor.
Your 400 is fuel injected. Let it run a while and ride it. See if it smooths out.

Reactions: TaiMc
1 - 7 of 7 Posts