Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put new rear rubber on yesterday and must have left my left side adjusters loose. Noticed before my ride home from work today. Parts have been ordered but will my wheel move around if I continue to ride in the meantime??

·
Registered
785 Posts
Wow. If the axel is torqued properly you can ride it. Just don’t do any practice starts or wheelies and the axel shouldn’t slip. But really, don’t put any high loads on it or it might.

But what the **** bent it?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got a 55 tooth sprocket on the back and I’m assuming either on the highway or when I clutched up before I got to work it must have hit the plate when it was loose and bent it off... Crazy thing is I didn’t even feel it happen. honestly had no idea until I was getting ready to ride home and I can’t see anywhere it would have caught on anything 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I figured if I shouldn’t be on the rear wheel I’ll avoid riding it until I get it fixed. I can’t not wheelie this thing ha. Appreciate the response though

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
In the mean time while your waiting on your correct part just go to the hard ware store and get some large diameter M8 (i think?) penny washers and a nut with a nyloc insert so it doesn't come undone or two regular nuts locked together.

Dont beat yourself up, I lost one of my plates too early on when a guy was talking to me when re-fitting the rear wheel. I got distracted and never locked the two nuts together...

·
Registered
37 Posts
The axle adjusters don't hold the axle in place. They, along with the end caps, prevent the axle from sliding forward more than your adjustment on each side, which allows you to keep the wheel aligned when reinstalling it.

The wheel is held in place solely by the torque of the axle nut. If your axle nut came loose, the wheel could still slide to the back of the bike since the adjusters & cap only prevent forward movement (since the cap hits the edge of the swingarm).

Make sure your axle is torqued down properly and has a cotter pin and you should be good to go.

I noticed this issue at a track day right after a crash (bent threads, and the cap was there but disfigured). I was initially concerned like you, but the staff said it's ok since the adjusters aren't what keep the axle secure. I've passed tech a number of times after that, at STT South and North events as well as at [email protected] Over those 10 track days with the cap missing, nothing has happened.

The mechanism becomes pretty obvious once you look at a part diagram:

The adjuster slides freely within the swingarm. The rectangular cap is as big as the outside dimensions of the swingarm, and the nuts adjust the maximum distance from the adjuster's axle hole to the cap. So when you're pushing the wheel forward, the cap will limit the maximum forward movement. And when you reinstall the wheel, you do in fact need to apply constant forward pressure until the axle nut is tight enough to hold it in place, since there's nothing preventing the axle from sliding back.

While doing a wheel change, you can pull out the axle adjuster completely just with your hand, I'm pretty sure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts