Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 207 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Here is mine Shoei Marquez Ant.

My son who was 2 weeks old in the picture is now 3 so I have had the helmet for over 3 years getting close to time for a new one. Too add on to the story this helmet cost me almost $1500.00. Let me explain I live in the Philippines back when the helmet came out they were asking 40,000 pesos which at the time was almost $1000 I found it online for sale for $700 free shipping to USA, they won't ship to my home since there is already a Shoei distributor in country. Okay fine I will send it to my mom she can send it to me I will still be under the asking price here. Mom gets the helmet and I guess had a brain fart, she over nighted me the helmet for a low low rate of $750. Here is the rest of the story, I work out of country on a 28 on 28 off schedule, I was 3 days in on my 28 days on so I had another 25 days to go before I got home. So my helmet set in the box for 26 days before I could use it. Thanks mom LMAO (now I can)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Here is mine Shoei Marquez Ant.

My son who was 2 weeks old in the picture is now 3 so I have had the helmet for over 3 years getting close to time for a new one. Too add on to the story this helmet cost me almost $1500.00. Let me explain I live in the Philippines back when the helmet came out they were asking 40,000 pesos which at the time was almost $1000 I found it online for sale for $700 free shipping to USA, they won't ship to my home since there is already a Shoei distributor in country. Okay fine I will send it to my mom she can send it to me I will still be under the asking price here. Mom gets the helmet and I guess had a brain fart, she over nighted me the helmet for a low low rate of $750. Here is the rest of the story, I work out of country on a 28 on 28 off schedule, I was 3 days in on my 28 days on so I had another 25 days to go before I got home. So my helmet set in the box for 26 days before I could use it. Thanks mom LMAO (now I can)

Your son is adorable! Starting him off extremely early, I see. $750 for overnight shipping!? I don't envy you at all.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Airoh Valor Conquer

I decided to get a new helmet for at the track. One that matches my red bike and my leathers which are black with red and white stripes.
My solid white Shoei was just not cool enough :grin:

I went for an Airoh, they're made in Italy and very reasonable in price. It doesn't have the refinement of the Shoei but I'm just doing short races with it, not spending all day touring in it. Fits snugly but doesn't have enough cut away where your ears go to be fully comfortable.
Overall I'm happy with my purchase though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I picked up an HJC IS-Max II, Size M at the dealership. I always wanted a shield that had glasses and a flip-up option. Liking it so far. Now, I have to figure out how to put in my Sena comm system with the flip-up.

·
Registered
199 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Looking for a new street lid myself.

Currently have an older Arai that I no longer use due to age, and a relatively entry model Scorpion EXO.

HJC is currently my top contender, has anyone have any experience with / feedback around this the RPHA 70 ST?

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/hjc-rpha-70-st-grandal-helmet
I don’t but the Bell Race Star would be worth checking out if you can still find it on sale! I love mine and got it with an extra tinted visor from riderdiscount for 349. Which is amazing considering it’s a full carbon shell and normally like 750.

·
Registered
199 Posts
That does look like a really nice lid.

I'm really leaning towards the flip down internal visor as opposed to swappable like my current helmets. So many times when riding from light to dark (and the converse) that I'm forced to go with the clear. Seems like a really nice option to be able to just flip down the visor.

I don’t but the Bell Race Star would be worth checking out if you can still find it on sale! I live mine and got it with an extra tinted visor from riderdiscount for 349. Which is amazing considering it’s a full carbon shell and normally like 750.

·
Registered
152 Posts
That does look like a really nice lid.

I'm really leaning towards the flip down internal visor as opposed to swappable like my current helmets. So many times when riding from light to dark (and the converse) that I'm forced to go with the clear. Seems like a really nice option to be able to just flip down the visor.
I believe bell has a cheaper Qualifier model that is still Snell rated if memory serves me correctly that comes with a photochromatic visor. If you don’t know what that is, it automatically tints (using magic) when sunlight hits it. I generally steer clear of the internal visors because they shave away eps foam in order to fit it which generally makes the helmet less safe. That’s not to say they still aren’t safe or that all do that but it’s a general rule. I can’t speak on how good the Qualifier is though.

Edit: Here is a link to the qualifier.
https://www.bellhelmets.com/powersports/helmets/street/qualifier-dlx-mips-equipped

·
Registered
199 Posts
That's a good callout. I've never seed a photocromatic visor in person (though I'm familiar with the technology).

I'll have to do some reading on that. Probably a little negatively jaded as many of the photochromatic eyeglass lenses seemed to develop a yellowish tinge over time, but that's honestly from years ago and I shouldn't make any assumptions that the tech hasn't improved...

I believe bell has a cheaper Qualifier model that is still Snell rated if memory serves me correctly that comes with a photochromatic visor. If you don’t know what that is, it automatically tints (using magic) when sunlight hits it. I generally steer clear of the internal visors because they shave away eps foam in order to fit it which generally makes the helmet less safe. That’s not to say they still aren’t safe or that all do that but it’s a general rule. I can’t speak on how good the Qualifier is though.

1 - 20 of 207 Posts