Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'll try to post something up once i'm home, but garage is a mess of spare tires, shovels and other bits and bobs. The bike is squeezed in a corner for winter storage.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I agree that it would be nice to see other members garages filled with pics of their ride or rides, just to give us fodder to chat about.
I believe to just state in a reply what you presently have in your garage would be a start (example):

93 ninja 250 (in build process, I am leaning toward a smokin joe camel purple and yellow paint scheme)
97 ninja 250 yellow
01 ninja 250 black and red
03 ninja 250 green

We just had our first big snow this week (14+ inches), which gives me time to think about my planned process of taking my red and black 250 ninja in for a trade for the Ninja 400 when it arrives. The red and black ninja is stored in my motorcycle shed with a big snow drift blocking the double doors :>(

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kiwi, the sv650 looks good! I like the garage additions
Thanks. I'm currently building a new 6m x 6m (20ft x 20ft) garage at the moment in the back corner of my section. I started the project in June. I should be out there now getting the last of the windows in instead of sitting at the key board. :D

The aim is to have it finished before the new Ninja arrives, my old garage couldn't store 3 bikes comfortably and have enough space left to work on one of them.
The new garage will be able to store 4 bikes as I may get an older resto bike in the future. Plus it wont leak!

This is how its looking so far:

IMG_0785.jpg

Just got the gutters and down pipes to make up and attach now once I get back windows done.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Sweet workspace, is it just a basic structure or do you also have insulation and HVAC going on? That to me has always been my dream. The closest I got was with a typical storage locker, often no one cares what you're up to. Living in a building its near impossible to use my parking space for work, only small and quick jobs.

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sweet workspace, is it just a basic structure or do you also have insulation and HVAC going on? That to me has always been my dream. The closest I got was with a typical storage locker, often no one cares what you're up to. Living in a building its near impossible to use my parking space for work, only small and quick jobs.
At this stage to keep costs down it is un-lined and un-insulated, but I may do this in time as funds permit. I upgraded the basic design by adding clear sheeting in the roof for extra light and an opening window on the opposite side to the door to get some air flow on a real hot day, of which we don't get that many. Next job after finishing the structure is to get power sockets and lighting installed. Then I will build a work bench and shelving for parts and shadow boards for tools. Lastly I may splash out on a bike lifter so Im not kneeling down or bending over all the time. I've painted the concrete floor with two pot paint so it's easy to sweep up and keep clean.
Dont worry, I've had some cruddy work spaces in the past too, I'm finally getting myself a decent set up now and it feels good. :)

·
Administrator
116 Posts
Got a 09 Ninja 250r which is hibernating for the winter at the moment. Once the melt comes I might add some pictures in the garage under a personal account for some extra chatty bits :D
@rde09 thats a good looking red/black ninja.

- JB

·
Registered
244 Posts
@JB, a Ninja 250 fan also I see. Looking forward to seeing the pics of the 250r.

Thanks for the Kudos on the Red and Black ninja. It is not my favorite, so I am going to trade it for the Ninja 400. Only has like 3500 miles, so it should bring a fair price.

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got a 09 Ninja 250r which is hibernating for the winter at the moment. Once the melt comes I might add some pictures in the garage under a personal account for some extra chatty bits :D

@rde09 thats a good looking red/black ninja.

- JB
Surely you can sneak that in work hours when the boss isn't looking over your shoulder! :smile_big:

·
Registered
244 Posts
@ Kiwi, little chatter about some of my bikes

I really enjoyed the XR200. At the time I owned a business located by an industrial park. In the afternoon I would take the XR out on some good wheelie runs. The XR seemed to just hold the front end in the air with little effort. There was a city zoo located 2 blocks away with a S turn in front of the parking lot, which I would almost always give a show to those in the parking lot when I went by. Amazingly I never was stopped by the police, though I was very guilty. I don't believe anyone called me in, if they did, the police were slow to respond.

The 1975 KZ400 was a great bike for my needs at that time. My brother bought a blue 75 model and my dad purchased a maroon or brownish 76 model. We purchased all three bikes new, at the same time. The kz400 was a dependable ride that would give one of my friend's Honda CB450 a good race for his money. I believe it had 18,000+ miles on it when I gave it to my teenage nephew.

The Eldorado Moto Guzzi (Eldo) was initially a gift from my cousin who wanted to restore the bike and just spend time together. While I was waiting on the paperwork for the Eldo from the previous owner after restoration, I purchased the black ambassador model from a ship captain to have a bike to ride with my cousin, who was an avid Moto Guzzi rider. I entered the Eldo in a bike show (the pic of me standing beside it, was taken there) where the Eldo won best of show, probably due to the documentation showing where it came from, the restoration process, and the final product. I will attach a pic of what it looked like when I first saw it. The Eldo was referred to as the swamp goose, since it stayed in a swamp for almost 15 years before it was removed and restored. The group I rode with then referred to the Guzzi's as geese or goose and the Ducati's as Ducks. They would assign a nickname to everyone's bike.

Rde09

Attachments

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
... I really enjoyed the XR200. At the time I owned a business located by an industrial park. In the afternoon I would take the XR out on some good wheelie runs. The XR seemed to just hold the front end in the air with little effort. ...
Yes, my first XR200 with the same 2 valve engine as yours was the best wheelie bike I have ever owned. Funny we both discovered that trait. :D
I bought a later model 4 valve one some time time later but it was too peaky in the power output to be a good wheelie bike.
I had a lot of fun and learnt some good riding skills on those early XR 200's.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Thanks. I'm currently building a new 6m x 6m (20ft x 20ft) garage at the moment in the back corner of my section. I started the project in June. I should be out there now getting the last of the windows in instead of sitting at the key board. :D

The aim is to have it finished before the new Ninja arrives, my old garage couldn't store 3 bikes comfortably and have enough space left to work on one of them.
The new garage will be able to store 4 bikes as I may get an older resto bike in the future. Plus it wont leak!

This is how its looking so far:

View attachment 83

Just got the gutters and down pipes to make up and attach now once I get back windows done.
I hate to ask this, but was wondering how much that costs to build? I’m debating between building a garage, converting my shed into a work shed which would be easiest (clean up, nail down some rubber mats, get a sturdier was ramp), but on the flip side I didn’t want to be taking it through the grass all the time so was also considering closing off my carport

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I hate to ask this, but was wondering how much that costs to build? I’m debating between building a garage, converting my shed into a work shed which would be easiest (clean up, nail down some rubber mats, get a sturdier was ramp), but on the flip side I didn’t want to be taking it through the grass all the time so was also considering closing off my carport
Because you havent added your location to your profile I had to go back to your intro post to see that you are from sunny Florida in the States. So, as someone who lives in New Zealand there is not much point in me telling you my local cost here.
I would suggest though that the cheapest option is to buy a kitset from a manufacturer rather than build a 'one of'. A lot of the kitset manufacturers also offer to erect it if you havent the skills, for a fee of course. Laying the concrete pad and doing the form work prior is a big job if you havent done one before. Also, if you do build new then put some 'clear lite' roofing sheets in to give you lots of natural light. Glad I did this.
Regarding the grass: The last part of my project is to lay a concrete path right up to the door of the garage. Ive retained my open carport for the car and the new garage/workshop is out the back of it and the house. Less lawn to mow now - great!

·
Administrator
116 Posts
Moved this thread out of Forum Support as it is not account/forum related.

As for the 250. It's at a friends in storage. I'll drag it out when its warmer (-18*C) and throw up some pics. :D

- JB

·
Registered
457 Posts
Here is my garage

2012 Honda CBR250R

2015 CB1000R my daily ride

2012 ZX10R. Track bike thats for sale. Too fast im too old with My 3 year old future rider!

2015 N300 track bike (blown engine :()

2018 N400 y'all have seen pics of it already

This one used to be in my garage, my little brother owns it now
2005 Honda CBR1000RR

1 - 20 of 57 Posts