Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was a kid, I had ear surgery on both ears. My ears have remained somewhat sensitive (on the outside). I have, what is supposed to be the appropriate size helmet but when I'm putting it on and taking it off, especially, it feels like I'm going to rip my ears off. I have tried MANY different helmets-shapes, sizes and brands-and, if they fit the way they're supposed to inside, not too loose, then I always have this issue.

TV is not realistic, however, when you see people taking off helmets, it doesn't look as difficult or painful as it is for me.
Is it uncomfortable for anyone else? I do pull the straps outward when I take it off or put it on.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Your helmet is not a proper fit if you experience pain in any way from it. Everyone has a differently shaped head and it takes time and research to figure out which helmets fit and which don’t. Even though it may be the correct size, it may not be the same shape for you...ie round oval vs intermediate oval...etc

I recommend reading up on the different shaped helmets and then ordering one through Revzilla and trying it on because they have a free exchange policy...

To remove your helmet it helps to grab the straps with each hand and pull outwards as you lift up...

Another option, which I did, is get a modular helmet which lifts up in the front. I have a Schuberth C3 pro on the way from the Netherlands. $399 from a company called Chromeburner. I’ve heard for so long how this is the quietest helmet so I finally decided to buy one. I can’t wait to try it on...

·
Registered
440 Posts
As you noted, in addition to helmet size, there's helmet shape that you need to worry about. For the longest time I had helmets from Bell and Shoei that always hurt my ears when I took them on and off. If I went to the next size up, it went over my ears fine but then was too loose once it was on.

I then tried an Arai that was a "Round Oval" and it made a world of difference. I've been sticking to those helmets ever since.

Which helmets have you tried? Did you make sure to include the "Round" variants? Sounds like you might have a similar issue that I have. 80% of the helmets out there appear to target a narrower head.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
As you noted, in addition to helmet size, there's helmet shape that you need to worry about. For the longest time I had helmets from Bell and Shoei that always hurt my ears when I took them on and off. If I went to the next size up, it went over my ears fine but then was too loose once it was on.

I then tried an Arai that was a "Round Oval" and it made a world of difference. I've been sticking to those helmets ever since.

Which helmets have you tried? Did you make sure to include the "Round" variants? Sounds like you might have a similar issue that I have. 80% of the helmets out there appear to target a narrower head.
I currently have a Shoei RF1200. I have tried the Arai Signet and Defiant and they left marks on my head, after only about 15 minutes of wear. They were the correct size, though.I have recently tried the new AGV K6, which basically fits like the RF1200. So, I have tried elongated oval, as well as intermediate oval. I'm definitely not a round. I do pull the straps outward but it doesn't help much. It just seems that there isn't the ideal combination for me, in size and shape. I have not tried Schuberth but it seems like the modular helmets are on the heavier side-over 4 lbs. I also have neck problems, so I don't want to solve one problem and create another one. I was thinking of trying the Shoes GT Air 2. I was told that it might be a little bit roomier side to side, than the RF1200.
I have to research to see which Arai helmets are "round oval." However, I think I am really more on the elongated oval side of the spectrum, so an intermediate oval shouldn't be hard to take on and off but it is. Yet, the elongated oval helmet left marks on my forehead-strange.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
I currently have a Shoei RF1200. I have tried the Arai Signet and Defiant and they left marks on my head, after only about 15 minutes of wear. They were the correct size, though.I have recently tried the new AGV K6, which basically fits like the RF1200. So, I have tried elongated oval, as well as intermediate oval. I'm definitely not a round. I do pull the straps outward but it doesn't help much. It just seems that there isn't the ideal combination for me, in size and shape. I have not tried Schuberth but it seems like the modular helmets are on the heavier side-over 4 lbs. I also have neck problems, so I don't want to solve one problem and create another one. I was thinking of trying the Shoes GT Air 2. I was told that it might be a little bit roomier side to side, than the RF1200.
I have to research to see which Arai helmets are "round oval." However, I think I am really more on the elongated oval side of the spectrum, so an intermediate oval shouldn't be hard to take on and off but it is. Yet, the intermediate oval helmet left marks on my forehead-strange.
Ok, you’re on the right track. Also consider changing the pads. They are removable and have different thicknesses for a more custom fit...

It just may solve your problem. I also have a RF-1200 which is a great helmet, just a bit loud. I always wear earplugs though...

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shoei-rf-1200-cheek-pads?gclid=Cj0KCQiA7OnxBRCNARIsAIW53B_BJ6y07rnAWNwJviOoippe09tQQbyU1F4hJPPEBYMNNoqOeLk7hUAaAghnEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, you’re on the right track. Also consider changing the pads. They are removable and have different thicknesses for a more custom fit...

It just may solve your problem. I also have a RF-1200 which is a great helmet, just a bit loud. I always wear earplugs though...

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shoei-rf-1200-cheek-pads?gclid=Cj0KCQiA7OnxBRCNARIsAIW53B_BJ6y07rnAWNwJviOoippe09tQQbyU1F4hJPPEBYMNNoqOeLk7hUAaAghnEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
Yep, I've done that too. I'm getting to be quite an expert on removing and installing helmet liners and cheek pads.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have to research to see which Arai helmets are "round oval." However, I think I am really more on the elongated oval side of the spectrum, so an intermediate oval shouldn't be hard to take on and off but it is. Yet, the elongated oval helmet left marks on my forehead-strange.
The Shoei RF1200 and Arai Defiant are Intermediate Oval - so that's narrower than a Round Oval.

The Arai Signet is Long Oval - that's even narrower than the Intermediate!

I thought I was more of an intermediate or long oval all my life until I tried a round - give it a shot, you may be surprised like I was. Arai's Quantum-X is an example of Round Oval that fits my ears nicely. Also keep in mind that one brand's Round may not be consistent with another brand's - so the best bet is to go to a physical store with a good selection of brands, shapes, and sizes, and try them all on. Take them on and off repeatedly and keep it on your head for a good amount of time to see how comfortable they are. Don't accept "good enough" - go with "fits perfectly!" There are alot of compromises we make in the world of motorcycling, this is not an area you want to compromise on. Once you do find a brand/size/shape that you like, stick with it.

Good luck!

Reactions: Baxter and TaiMc

·
Registered
406 Posts
As mentioned above, a helmet should never cause pain.

If you find it hard to find a good fitting helmet, I suggest going to a cyclegear shop (or another place that has a lot of different helmets) and just try them on to see if you can narrow down not only general sizing but also the best "shape" of helmet for your head. Buying online is great, but if you have a difficult fit, the best option may be to go to a brick and mortar store and just try on 20 helmets. If they don't have the specific design you want, you can always order that online ultimately (cyclegear will ship it to your home automatically even if it currently not available in their store, we did this when we bought riding pants for my wife)

·
Registered
35 Posts
a properly fitting helmet = a tight fit...no way around that. I also have a Shoei RF1200 and taking it on and off can make my ears hurt!

After I put it on I have to reach up into the helmet to unfold each ear, which gets folded over putting the helmet on. I've had many scratches on the side of my face from doing this.

So it it a little uncomfortable taking it on and off? yep..some ear discomfort? yep...but unless you want to wear a loose (poor fitting) helmet you need to be prepared for a little discomfort. Any of you guys ever wear a football helmet? Not the most comfortable thing to put on!

·
Registered
153 Posts
I would recommend you maybe consider trying to ride without a helmet. You can see so much more without any blind spots at all! Nothing like that fresh air in your face. Not to mention all the riders I know who would have broken their neck if they were wearing a helmet in some of the accidents they have been in.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
I would recommend you maybe consider trying to ride without a helmet. You can see so much more without any blind spots at all! Nothing like that fresh air in your face. Not to mention all the riders I know who would have broken their neck if they were wearing a helmet in some of the accidents they have been in.
:wink:

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’m not really sure that was warranted. I never implied that I’d ride without a helmet. If you’ve ever had surgery and have pain that lingers, you’d understand.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Invenio's recommendation is a good one as well. I went to two dealerships and had salesmen help fit me for a helmet. I tried in all kinds, ignoring the colors, as I just wanted the appropriate fit. There has to be an appropriate helmet for you. They got them out there. (y)

Also, you could go to revzilla.com and speak to a "Gear Geek" about which helmets fit you best. I think you may even be able to send them pics of your head via email.

·
Registered
763 Posts
When I was a kid, I had ear surgery on both ears. My ears have remained somewhat sensitive (on the outside). I have, what is supposed to be the appropriate size helmet but when I'm putting it on and taking it off, especially, it feels like I'm going to rip my ears off. I have tried MANY different helmets-shapes, sizes and brands-and, if they fit the way they're supposed to inside, not too loose, then I always have this issue.

TV is not realistic, however, when you see people taking off helmets, it doesn't look as difficult or painful as it is for me.
Is it uncomfortable for anyone else? I do pull the straps outward when I take it off or put it on.
Is the pain all of the time or only when you take the helmet on and off? I get a little external ear pain sometimes when taking my helmet on and off, it's better if I stretch my modular helmet open a bit when doing so. But when riding, and having first made certain that my ears are not folded and are inside of the ear pockets in the helmet lining, nothing hurts until the last few hours of a very long day.

And if I remember, you are relatively new to riding, perhaps your helmet hasn't worn in yet. Sometimes it just takes a little more wear time for the padding to break in to your specific head shape. Like perhaps 1000 miles. If it's still hurting after than, then it's definitely time to find a better helmet.

Sometimes my helmet can seem a bit tight and uncomfortable on the first few rides in spring after several months without wearing it.

Reactions: TaiMc

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Your comments make you look like the village idiot. Unless your trolling I dont know why you would want to do that to yourself.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts

Right I have some discomfort or at times it can hurt to take my helmet off pulling my ears all weird, which you want it tight enough to be safe, but not so tight it squeezes your head and hurts, especially when I am not wearing a balaclava.

Have you tried a thin balaclava? Like the Schampa CoolSkin?

Your circumstance seems unique that your ears are sensitive, this might help. I know I can tell a difference wearing one of how my ears are not folding, crumpled, pinched, etc. by taking my helmet on and off. I wear glasses also so a balaclava surprisingly helps my glasses stay in place better by putting the arms of the glasses into and underneath it.
I have one and unless its 100*F plus with 50% or more humidity, you cannot tell you have it on, and even then without it on, your head is still baking in a helmet anyway and sweating all over the place....heck standing around naked in that is still miserable.

Over the last 10 years or so I decided to start wearing a balaclava because I got tired of washing my helmet liner/pads, causing it to wear out much sooner, due to having a sweat smell inside my helmet, or my greasy Italian forehead wiping all inside my helmet :)

This allowed me to wash the balaclava much easier, which the one I have for the summer requires special care when washing to keep it so breathable and cooling for super hot summers, but even then its much easier to care for or just throw away and buy another at $15-20.

On another note, my friends son, who also rides, bought a Icon helmet because he loved the graphics and found out it would start to give him a horrible headache after an hour of riding due to pinching his head all weird.
The shape of his head is different and the icon model he got was a long oval, causing the issue, which Intermediate Oval seems to be the most common fitting.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Your comments make you look like the village idiot. Unless your trolling I dont know why you would want to do that to yourself.
I just gave a simple suggestion here Kiwi. We all have opinions, so feel free to think whatever you want. And since you decided to go there first, In my opinion I think @1shortrider looks like the “village idiot” with the comments she leaves. But hey that’s just my opinion. Not sure the name calling was necessary but like I said, you went there first Mr. Super Moderator!

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
I just gave a simple suggestion here Kiwi. We all have opinions, so feel free to think whatever you want. And since you decided to go there first, In my opinion I think @1shortrider looks like the “village idiot” with the comments she leaves. But hey that’s just my opinion. Not sure the name calling was necessary but like I said, you went there first Mr. Super Moderator!
Your posts come across as rude. It seems to be a recurring theme with you. And they tend to provoke others to respond negatively...hence the term ”Troll” comes to mind.

Why even bother to take the time to post if you are not adding anything useful to the conversation?

Give it a rest dude!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Your posts come across as rude. It seems to be a recurring theme with you. And they tend to provoke others to respond negatively...hence the term ”Troll” comes to mind.

Why even bother to take the time to post if you are not adding anything useful to the conversation?

Give it a rest dude!
Hey boat I don’t care what you or others think of me! I have every right to make a simple suggestion. If you don’t like what I have to say you can simply move on!! I’m not gonna listen to your advice and I think you are very foolish to spend over $1200 on a 1 piece textile riding suit. It looks terrible and looks way to big on you. But again that’s just my opinion!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts