Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve always disliked how long the pipe is from how many times my heel touches the exhaust. Has anyone ever tried to shorten it?
Heard it may be do-able by cutting the pipe and putting on my account slip on. But not 100% sure. Wasn’t able to find a header that would do the trick.

·
Registered
21 N400, USB, Air delete, full exhaust,Hi flow filter/snorkel delete, Clutch springs
23 Posts
Pretty much every aftermarket exhaust, whether it be a slip on or full system, fixes the problem of the exhaust interfering with your heal. That stock muffler is ridiculously huge!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pretty much every aftermarket exhaust, whether it be a slip on or full system, fixes the problem of the exhaust interfering with your heal. That stock muffler is ridiculously huge!
I do have an after market slip on, but would like to make it like the Ninja 250 exhaust if you know what I mean

Definitely agree though, the Stock exhaust is ridiculously large

·
Registered
21 N400, USB, Air delete, full exhaust,Hi flow filter/snorkel delete, Clutch springs
23 Posts
I don’t know that I’ve heard of anyone still having trouble with their heal touching with a slip on, but I’m sure it depends on the size and shape of what you have on. And you said you want to shorten it, which to me sounds like it would bring it even closer to your heal but without knowing your exact exhaust it’s hard to picture it. Do you have a pic of your current setup that might help better explain what you’re trying to change? Here is my exhaust for comparison and you can see it’s nowhere near where my foot is anymore.

·
Registered
2017 Suzuki GSXR1000 2010 Suzuki GSXR600 x2 2018/19 N400
682 Posts
you can take off heal guard,that seems to help in most cases.shorting !!?? "shortening it" that doesn't make any sense WSE !!! get a slip on or full exhaust and even then there's no guarantee your heal wont hit the can,unless you have sissy feet:sneaky:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Or are you trying to turn it into an under body exhaust like the ninja 650 has? That would make sense for why you want to shorten things, but I don’t thing the 400 has the right clearance underneath to make that work. Maybe though…could be an interesting project

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don’t know that I’ve heard of anyone still having trouble with their heal touching with a slip on, but I’m sure it depends on the size and shape of what you have on. And you said you want to shorten it, which to me sounds like it would bring it even closer to your heal but without knowing your exact exhaust it’s hard to picture it. Do you have a pic of your current setup that might help better explain what you’re trying to change? Here is my exhaust for comparison and you can see it’s nowhere near where my foot is anymore.
View attachment 19637
I could have worded it a bit better but wasn’t really putting much thought into it. I was wanting to get the look like the Ninja 250/650. How it just barely comes out of the fairing. I currently have a MGP Growler but am ordering a Coffman shorty exhaust to match my bike better.
this is the setup I have going on now but now that I think about it it might just be the size of my shoe/work boots, since I did go up a couple sizes and added insoles to fit better. But either way always liked the look of the ninja 250/650 exhaust (will add another pic of it)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Or are you trying to turn it into an under body exhaust like the ninja 650 has? That would make sense for why you want to shorten things, but I don’t thing the 400 has the right clearance underneath to make that work. Maybe though…could be an interesting project
Yea that’s correct. Its fairly unfortunate that it didn’t come stock like that but hopefully there is a way, would give it a whole new look IMO

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you can take off heal guard,that seems to help in most cases.shorting !!?? "shortening it" that doesn't make any sense WSE !!! get a slip on or full exhaust and even then there's no guarantee your heal wont hit the can,unless you have sissy feet:sneaky:
That’s not Necessarily the main reason for wanting to shorten it. Currently wearing a size 13. Ive just always liked the look of the 650’s exhaust on how short they are. Just Unfortunate it didn’t come stock like that

·
Registered
682 Posts
well the last picture you showed a shortened pipe like that will decrease the performance of the bike and the sound...well kinda like these guys with rice rockets running open exhaust..if that's your thing..your bike !! with all my bikes excluding my gsxr600 with a shorty akra on it,my size 13 hits every can I have.only happens in certain instances, so I don't let it bother me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well the last picture you showed a shortened pipe like that will decrease the performance of the bike and the sound...well kinda like these guys with rice rockets running open exhaust..if that's your thing..your bike !! with all my bikes excluding my gsxr600 with a shorty akra on it,my size 13 hits every can I have.only happens in certain instances, so I don't let it bother me.
Will most likely not do anything with it unless I find a decent way to get it done. Don’t really worry about performance much since it’s my “car show” bike. But I do have the FTECU setup hooked up. Would I be able to compensate with that you think?

·
Registered
682 Posts
if it's a show bike then put a nice slip-on on ! plain and simple open exhaust is not recommended ! if you want to cut the header and put a tip on it for looks,then have at it....but riding it like that will get annoying to you and other motorists,again it's your bike and what ever you do is for you !

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think it could be done tastefully and in a way that is still functional both performance and sound wise, but only if you can find an actual muffler with a baffle that will fit under the bike. It would definitely be a custom job. This is my old Hyosung GD250R that I made a custom exhaust for and it might be kind of the look your going for? Don’t laugh at me owning a Hyosung btw…it was cheap and made a good learner bike lol.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think it could be done tastefully and in a way that is still functional both performance and sound wise, but only if you can find an actual muffler with a baffle that will fit under the bike. It would definitely be a custom job. This is my old Hyosung GD250R that I made a custom exhaust for and it might be kind of the look your going for? Don’t laugh at me owning a Hyosung btw…it was cheap and made a good learner bike lol.
View attachment 19640
I honeslty like the look of those bikes. Saw one on market place a few days ago and was considering on buying it just for the look.
in your opinion what do you think the best bet would be? Trim the header, find a new one, etc

·
Registered
23 Posts
It was actually a pretty good little bike. I loved the looks of it. If it had more power I would have kept it longer but there’s only so much a 250 can do. It’s actually a great bike for city or commuting because the single cylinder is pretty punchy down low, it just runs out of steam and can’t get much more than 85-90 top speed.
For the ninja, I’d definitely experiment with cutting down the stock header because they’re cheap to replace if it doesn’t work out. You might be able to cut it right after the cat leaving just enough pipe to attach the link pipe from your slip on to. Not sure what you have, but every link pipe I’ve seen for the 400 has an angle to it, which you might be able to use it to angle the muffler out to the side just a little bit. It actually might not be too difficult after all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts