Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
261 - 268 of 268 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Its funny but I haven't done much to my shock other change it out for a previous gen spring and I did same as you dialed back the pre-load. Seems fine for my RED Group track days. Can pretty put it anywhere I want. Outside passes-NO problem. I dont think I have even really fiddled with the rebound/comp thingys. My front end is stock except for .80/.85 KTech springs. Prob need heavier oil but just been too busy to change.

I was at NJMP yesterday and probably passed more bikes on my N4 then my GSX-R 750

From what bike did you get your spring from? Looking for a 90 spring as it's the best for my weight and riding style

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi!

Just got myself a 2011-2014 GSXR 600 shock.
Ordered the Norton adapters as well.

I am being a bit imaptient here, but I would like to install the GSXR shock while waiting for the Norton bracket.
What would be downsides if I flip the mount without the Norton bracket installed?

Also, am I correct in assuming the the 600's have the lowest spring rates compared to the 750's and 1000's?

Thanks
Having to take the bike apart down to the battery tray twice would be the biggest downside.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Having to take the bike apart down to the battery tray twice would be the biggest downside.
Not a major issue for me as I regulary tear the bike down anyway 😅
Other than that, would there be any loose components moving about specially when pushing hard on the track?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Not a major issue for me as I regulary tear the bike down anyway 😅
Other than that, would there be any loose components moving about specially when pushing hard on the track?
If I recall the battery compartment is very loose without the bolts connected to the top of the shock mount. You're better off installing the shock without flipping the mounts and adjusting your front end to compensate for the lower rear ride height.

·
Registered
53 Posts
If I recall the battery compartment is very loose without the bolts connected to the top of the shock mount. You're better off installing the shock without flipping the mounts and adjusting your front end to compensate for the lower rear ride height.
Gotcha. So the prudent route is to wait for the mounts.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just got myself a 2011-2014 GSXR 600 shock.
Ordered the Norton adapters as well.

I am being a bit imaptient here, but I would like to install the GSXR shock while waiting for the Norton bracket.
What would be downsides if I flip the mount without the Norton bracket installed?

Also, am I correct in assuming the the 600's have the lowest spring rates compared to the 750's and 1000's?
You'll have to dig down under the ECU to unscrew the ears on the shock mounts. When you get the Norton brackets, you'll have to dig back down there to reinstall the screws. That's generally considered the most difficult/annoying part of the install, and you're setting yourself up to have to do it twice.

They used different spring rates over the years. My post (I still haven't made an updated chart with new info) has some details on mostly older stuff, while Cornerman's post has a few of the current ones that he personally tested. The 750 actually has the softest spring.

·
Registered
53 Posts
You'll have to dig down under the ECU to unscrew the ears on the shock mounts. When you get the Norton brackets, you'll have to dig back down there to reinstall the screws. That's generally considered the most difficult/annoying part of the install, and you're setting yourself up to have to do it twice.

They used different spring rates over the years. My post (I still haven't made an updated chart with new info) has some details on mostly older stuff, while Cornerman's post has a few of the current ones that he personally tested. The 750 actually has the softest spring.
Thanks @InvisiBill!

To be honest I got confused with your and Cornermans post regarding the spring.
On your post 600's have the softer spring rate, which is not the case for Cornermans.

Or am I not understanding things properly? Haha

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thanks @InvisiBill!

To be honest I got confused with your and Cornermans post regarding the spring.
On your post 600's have the softer spring rate, which is not the case for Cornermans.

Or am I not understanding things properly? Haha
Different years. There's no set spring rate that's used universally for a certain model across all years.

261 - 268 of 268 Posts