Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
241 - 260 of 268 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #241 ·
No one, least of all myself, ever implied that the GSXR shock swap was a big deal. If you read my initial post I actually stated the opposite.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry, I wasn't implying anyone on this thread was making the swap a big deal, but when you go through all 13 pages of it, the total effect of all the posts can make it seem overwhelming. Not a criticism at all. So we all agree, it is not a big deal! 😁 Just wanted to throw out my impression to encourage anyone on the fence to pull the trigger.

·
Registered
2020 Ninja 400 KRT
19 Posts
So now which springs fit the GSXR 600 shock? I’m on the lighter side at 5’5 140lbs and I found a shock off a 2019 600. One person said they got a spring off a 03-04 1000, which would be perfect for my weight according to the chart, but said it didn’t fit as it was 5mm larger diameter.

·
Registered
433 Posts
So now which springs fit the GSXR 600 shock? I’m on the lighter side at 5’5 140lbs and I found a shock off a 2019 600. One person said they got a spring off a 03-04 1000, which would be perfect for my weight according to the chart, but said it didn’t fit as it was 5mm larger diameter.
Unfortunately the 03-04 does not fit perfectly and will require some mods to fit but is the correct rate for your weight. To date the only place I can find that has the correct spring is Race Tech. The tricky thing is will it be in stock? I was able to mount 03-04 spring and adjust the linkage to fit the wider spring but it was a real pain in the butt. I had to build custom spacers and replace bolts to achieve the proper clearances. It can be done but I don't recommend it. There are adaptor plates for the spring to fit the shock that Race Tech sells too. I hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
2020 Ninja 400 KRT
19 Posts
Unfortunately the 03-04 does not fit perfectly and will require some mods to fit but is the correct rate for your weight. To date the only place I can find that has the correct spring is Race Tech. The tricky thing is will it be in stock? I was able to mount 03-04 spring and adjust the linkage to fit the wider spring but it was a real pain in the butt. I had to build custom spacers and replace bolts to achieve the proper clearances. It can be done but I don't recommend it. There are adaptor plates for the spring to fit the shock that Race Tech sells too. I hope this helps you out.
Awesome thanks, I’ll check that out

·
Registered
2020 Ninja 400 KRT
19 Posts
I got my shock today, so just to confirm turning all the adjusters to the left is full soft correct?

And flipping the stock mount raises the ride height by 10mm? With a Spears kit can you make it back to stock ride height?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Flipping the mount lowers the bike, doesn't raise it. I used the norton adapter to keep factory ride height.

·
Registered
2020 Ninja 400 KRT
19 Posts
Flipping the mount lowers the bike, doesn't raise it. I used the norton adapter to keep factory ride height.
So from my understanding the GSXR shock is sightly shorter, so installing the shock lowers the rear a bit. Flipping the mount raises it up a touch, unless I’m mistaken

·
Registered
59 Posts
Correct, but if you flip the mount you lose your battery box mount. So I guess I used the norton adapter to keep the ride height AND battery box mount! lol

Norton has info on suggested starting points for shock settings as well.

·
Registered
2020 Ninja 400 KRT
19 Posts
Correct, but if you flip the mount you lose your battery box mount. So I guess I used the norton adapter to keep the ride height AND battery box mount! lol

Norton has info on suggested starting points for shock settings as well.
Yea I got one of those kits on order. I’m gonna install the shock and leave the mount for now until I get the battery box bracket

·
Registered
222 Posts
I got my shock today, so just to confirm turning all the adjusters to the left is full soft correct?

And flipping the stock mount raises the ride height by 10mm? With a Spears kit can you make it back to stock ride height?
Yes, left is soft on all three. The upper center screw is lo speed.

Spears says that their mount lowers the stock shock five or ten mm and raises the rear 10 or 23mm depending on which way you install the insert. I would guess you’ll get about 10mm less rear ride height increase in either position with the GSX-R shock, so approximately stock height with the low position and somewhere around 10mm rear height increase in the high position.

The Norton kit combined with the (shorter than stock) GSX-R shock raises the rear of the bike a little over 20mm measured up from the rear axle.

·
Registered
433 Posts
The Norton mounts are a clean way of mounting the GSXR shock and you do get the ability to choose a ride height as well as retain the battery box mounting points.

Flipping the stock mounts LOWERS the mounting point thusly RAISING the rear end of the bike. I have taken it a little bit further and welded the stock mounts closed and drilled the mounting points even lower to raise the rear even higher. I only did this because my bikes are track bikes only. I needed the swingarm angle steeper to help turn the bike in a touch quicker and doing so has even more effect on the ability to get out of the turns sooner by allowing you to get on the gas earlier while holding your line at the exit.

·
Registered
2020 Ninja 400 KRT
19 Posts
The Norton mounts are a clean way of mounting the GSXR shock and you do get the ability to choose a ride height as well as retain the battery box mounting points.

Flipping the stock mounts LOWERS the mounting point thusly RAISING the rear end of the bike. I have taken it a little bit further and welded the stock mounts closed and drilled the mounting points even lower to raise the rear even higher. I only did this because my bikes are track bikes only. I needed the swingarm angle steeper to help turn the bike in a touch quicker and doing so has even more effect on the ability to get out of the turns sooner by allowing you to get on the gas earlier while holding your line at the exit.
Are there any negatives from having the rear slightly higher? I primarily ride street and hope to do some track days in the future

·
Registered
111 Posts
As 51Ninja400 said, raising the rear will increase the swing arm angle and make the steering quicker.

Keep in mind that the Norton kit is only for restoring the ECU tray support ears. You'll still need to flip the stock mounts (resulting in about +10mm when combined with the shorter GSXR shock) or get something like the Spears adjustable mounts to actually compensate for the new shock's different length.

Here's what it looks like with both of those kits installed. With the Spears mount set like this, it should work out to basically the same height as stock with the GSXR shock (the mounting hole is 5mm lower and the shock is 5mm shorter).

·
Registered
2020 Ninja 400 KRT
19 Posts
Unbelievable the difference it made, before I would feel every little bump in the road. Now it’s much more plush and compliant. Seems to hold the line better in corners too (played around on some highway on/off ramps) I didn’t really notice any difference with the steering, but maybe I don’t ride aggressively enough?

My settings are:
Preload - 6.5mm of thread showing
High speed compression - 3 turns out from full hard
Low speed compression - 3 turns out from full hard
Rebound - 2.75 turns out from full hard

And I weigh about 140 without gear

·
Registered
2020 Ninja 400 KRT
19 Posts
Are there any negatives from having too little preload on the shock? I watched some videos from David Moss and he always talks about how the bike should have a few millimeters of static sag in the rear. Had my preload set at 6.5mm of thread showing and had zero rear sag.
Readjusted the preload to about 4mm (about 2.5 threads remaining on adjuster) and it has some sag now, rides a lot better too. As long as I don’t fully back off the adjusters it shouldn’t harm the shock correct?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys I just did this mod and I would like to add some more information that people might find helpful. I found out that I had to respring the shock for my body weight so here's a guide on how to do that, along with a few other tips.
According to Norton, "GSXR600 Shocks use a lighter spring (550lb), GSXR750s and GSXR1000s use a heavier spring (600lb)".
And according to the Ninja 400 Suspension Spring Rate Chart from Norton, the stock spring will be much too stiff for my body weight, and I need a 450 lb/in (80N/mm) spring.

I found that I can buy springs from Eibach that will fit, are more economical than Racetech springs, and offer spring rates options that are not available from Racetech. However, they will still require a spring spacer because they are half a inch shorter than the stock spring (the Racetech springs also require this adapter).

From the Eibach Spring Catalog, the relevant springs are product number 0700.225.0XXX, where 0700 means the spring is 7 inches long, 225 means it has a inside diameter of 2.25inch, and XXX is the spring rate in lb/in. They offer them from 200 lb/in all the way to 1100 lb/in, in 25 lb/in increments. In my case I used the 0700.225.0450, which is 450 lb/in. Use the Spring Rate chart from Norton to choose the appropriate spring rate for your body weight. You can order springs from Eibach or from 3rd party retailers.

Then you need a 0.5 inch spring spacer. The most economical option I found is Racetech part SPSC57505512. You can buy it on amazon, or from racetech.

Lastly, of course, you need a GSXR shock. When buying the shock, make sure that the bushing and needle roller bearings are there, on the bottom mounting hole. The first shock that I bought was missing the bushing as well as a few needle bearings.
In total, it will be about $50-100 for the shock, $75 for the spring, and $21 for the spring spacer. A fully adjustable shock, sprung to your own weight, for under $200 is not bad at all.

Installing the new spring onto the shock is very easy, and requires no spring compressor. First, turn the preload adjusting rings counter clockwise till the preload is loosened all the way, and the spring is not being compressed, then turn the shock upside down and you will be able to remove the two semicircle shaped thingies that hold the spring in place. I forgot to take photos, but it is pretty self explanatory when you see it. Once you do that, remove the two semicircle thingies, and the circle shaped collar, and the stock spring. Once you've taken out the old spring, it is time to reassemble the shock with the new spring. Begin by putting in the spring spacer. There is a narrow part on one side that fits into the spring so make sure it is facing the right direction. Next put the spring in. Then put in the circle collar thingy and the two semicircle thingies. Now turn the spring back right side up and tighten the preload rings to your desired preload setting. I used the baseline preload, compression, and rebound settings from Norton. The shock is now ready to put into the bike.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #259 ·
Are there any negatives from having too little preload on the shock? I watched some videos from David Moss and he always talks about how the bike should have a few millimeters of static sag in the rear. Had my preload set at 6.5mm of thread showing and had zero rear sag.
Readjusted the preload to about 4mm (about 2.5 threads remaining on adjuster) and it has some sag now, rides a lot better too. As long as I don’t fully back off the adjusters it shouldn’t harm the shock correct?

Its funny but I haven't done much to my shock other change it out for a previous gen spring and I did same as you dialed back the pre-load. Seems fine for my RED Group track days. Can pretty put it anywhere I want. Outside passes-NO problem. I dont think I have even really fiddled with the rebound/comp thingys. My front end is stock except for .80/.85 KTech springs. Prob need heavier oil but just been too busy to change.

I was at NJMP yesterday and probably passed more bikes on my N4 then my GSX-R 750

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi!

Just got myself a 2011-2014 GSXR 600 shock.
Ordered the Norton adapters as well.

I am being a bit imaptient here, but I would like to install the GSXR shock while waiting for the Norton bracket.
What would be downsides if I flip the mount without the Norton bracket installed?

Also, am I correct in assuming the the 600's have the lowest spring rates compared to the 750's and 1000's?

Thanks

241 - 260 of 268 Posts