Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

181 - 200 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
My bad guys. I did read it all after the worthless question and will be careful in the future not to post, reply without reading the entire thread. I did just order a 2011+ GSXR 600 shock already though and look forward to saving some money compared to buying an aftermarket shock. I have two bikes that will be track use only and will be testing different suspension options during the early season this year. What front suspensions posts should I search to read?

·
Registered
789 Posts
I just did the shock collar switch for my buddies 400. He went with the gixxer shock also. He had a Kawasaki shop put in the shock since he was having other work done. I asked him if the shop switched the shock collars and they never heard of it, lol. I am also changing the air filter and emissions block off plate. Since all this work requires taking the tank off. Might as well do it all at once. Was so much easier this time, since I just did this on my 400 a few months ago. We both will have the suspension dialed in on the 1st track day of the season in April!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Went ahead and finally raised the forks in my triple clamps as I have been running the Gixxer 600 rear coil with an 80N spring and no ride height adjusters (calculated for my weight). The rear vastly improved over stock, but with the rear lowered and no change in the front, the bike would plow going into turns. From my measurements between stock rear and the Gixxer setup using a common reference point on the tail, I measured roughly 1 1/8" of ride height change between stock and the new setup. Ended up raising the forks roughly an inch to adjust the swingarm angle back closer to stock. A friend and I checked to confirm the front end had enough clearance and shouldn't bottom out under compression by bashing the front up and down and there is zero contact.

First impressions are that the steering is greatly improved compared to before. The bike changes directly like an S2000 now and is awesome! Now I'm probably reading a little too into this, but I've heard misconceptions on whether or not ride height changes at the fork are directly proportional to how much you raise the forks in the clamps? Would 1" lower in the rear equate to needing to raise the forks 1" in the front to balance it out?

I know I'll probably have to do this on my own anyway, but I guess the only way to be certain would be to lower the forks back down, measure the height, then raise them until I hit the 1" drop mark.

Another question for all you guys who have more experience... If I keep the bike setup as is for now, would it be wise to invest in a steering damper to aid in high speed stability as a safety net? So far I really like how the bike responds to my inputs but will do more testing this weekend.

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looking into this swap, I've done a similar one on my '09 250. Lots of good info in the thread.

I'm a bit of a porker (275 in gear), so the best spring for me would be off the '09+ K8 GSXR-1000. The mounting points, diameters, length, and stroke appear to be the same from the information I can find. Is there something I'm missing that would stop me from installing the 1000 shock directly and not having to order and swap springs onto a GSXR-600/750 shock?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I just did the shock collar switch for my buddies 400. He went with the gixxer shock also. He had a Kawasaki shop put in the shock since he was having other work done. I asked him if the shop switched the shock collars and they never heard of it, lol. I am also changing the air filter and emissions block off plate. Since all this work requires taking the tank off. Might as well do it all at once. Was so much easier this time, since I just did this on my 400 a few months ago. We both will have the suspension dialed in on the 1st track day of the season in April!
What exactly are you referring to when you mention (shock collars)? I'm asking for clarification for all.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Looking into this swap, I've done a similar one on my '09 250. Lots of good info in the thread.

I'm a bit of a porker (275 in gear), so the best spring for me would be off the '09+ K8 GSXR-1000. The mounting points, diameters, length, and stroke appear to be the same from the information I can find. Is there something I'm missing that would stop me from installing the 1000 shock directly and not having to order and swap springs onto a GSXR-600/750 shock?
Nope, I do not think you can do a straight up swap with a earlier GSX-R 1000 shock....if we can find out if the 1000 shocks are the same as the 600/750 shocks, but with a different spring rate, that might work.

Not sure about shock....I know the rotors and wheels match up from some 600/750's to later model 1000's and sometimes a broader range of the 1000's model years...not sure about shocks...

Must be a 2011 and up 600/750 shock as of now..........

With the 2011 and up shock, only thing you need are a few washers to go between the lower mounts to take up the slack and I think 2 more for the right side, I want to say it was to keep the suspension arms clearing the spring....does not take much, only need enough space to fit a single piece of paper between the spring coils and the suspension arms to avoid rubbing...(read back a few posts, I think I talked about it)

I also recommend flipping the upper shock mount plates so you do not lower the bike, but that is up to you....another person did not and they said they liked the new ride height...me I wanted to raise it a smidgen for closer to proper swingarm angle and feel of drop in, agility, etc.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #187

shock length and mount points. my '07 GSXR shock won't mount straight up due to upper? Mount point .

·
Registered
789 Posts
What exactly are you referring to when you mention (shock collars)? I'm asking for clarification for all.
It’s the 2 metal pieces that the shock mounts in the upper shock area. Shock collars is the same as the shock metal mounting plates. When you flip them upside down with the GSXR shock mod you gain some rear ride height. Sorry for the confusion, I hope this helps. They are a pain to get too, you have to remove allot of “stuff” to gain access to them. If you are not concerned about losing a little ride height in the rear, this mod is very easy, maybe 30 minutes and you don’t have to remove the rear wheel.??

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
shock length and mount points. my '07 GSXR shock won't mount straight up due to upper? Mount point .
Thanks sorry I did not see where he was was trying a GSX-R 1000 shock, I thought he was trying a confirmed year model 600/750 shock but using a 1000 spring............

The only thing I can recommend is try it........support the bike pull the 400 OEM shock, compare the GSX-R 1000 shock with the OEM shock, if they look close in how they mount and length, try to mount it up and see if it works...... ?

·
Registered
274 Posts
It’s the 2 metal pieces that the shock mounts in the upper shock area. Shock collars is the same as the shock metal mounting plates. When you flip them upside down with the GSXR shock mod you gain some rear ride height. Sorry for the confusion, I hope this helps. They are a pain to get too, you have to remove allot of “stuff” to gain access to them. If you are not concerned about losing a little ride height in the rear, this mod is very easy, maybe 30 minutes and you don’t have to remove the rear wheel.??
That is what I thought you meant by it and I would like to clarify some. The shock mounts are exactly that "shock mounts" upper and lower. Shock collars are on the shock and keep the spring on the shock from the bottom mount. If you change out springs from one spring rate to the another you end up removing the "shock collars" to remove the spring. This is a normal function for any shop that works on suspension.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Alright N400 junkies, tracks are starting to open up here in the mid-west. I will be heading to Hallett, Ok. in two short weeks for my first time on a track in over two decades. The following weekend Heartland Park Topeka is having a three day event over Memorial Day so I'll be out there for two days too. I have one bike complete and the other is waiting on Ohlins cartridges. They claim they will be in this week. I like to save money where I can, when it doesn't effect safety, so I have installed the GSXR shock with a 9.2 kg/mm spring from a zx6r on both bikes. These are rebuildable units and Race Tech does produce better internals for them, so if they perform decently I will tear them down at the end of the season and make them better. It does look like the older shock will be easier to rebuild so I will probably rob the bottom eye off of the newer shock and transplant it on to the older shock. As I mentioned in a previous post I have flipped the upper shock mounts to raise the ride height which brings the angle of the swingarm much closer to a racing geometry at 12.2*. More than likely I will be building custom shock mounts to get the ride height up a touch more by .5*. Keep the rubber side down and have fun!!!!!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
couple questions: What year ZX6R? Did that spring slot in no issues? what is your weight? is it a big PIA to re-build these shocks in home?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Both my son and I weigh 170 lbs, the the zx6r is a 09-12 and I had no issues going on but did have to use a spring compressor to remove the zx6 spring. The only PIA for the rebuild is finding a shop to fill the shock with compressed nitrogen. I have not done this in several years and the place that did do it for me is no longer so I'll have to find another.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
Both my son and I weigh 170 lbs, the the zx6r is a 09-12 and I had no issues going on but did have to use a spring compressor to remove the zx6 spring. The only PIA for the rebuild is finding a shop to fill the shock with compressed nitrogen. I have not done this in several years and the place that did do it for me is no longer so I'll have to find another.
Thanks...just trying to figure out a spring rate for myself. I'm about 185 w/o gear for the track.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
I have a OEM shock from my '06 GSX-R 750 (Penske). I believe the '11+ spring rate is around 10.0? What kind of performance have you found with RT shock kits?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I think your 10 from the 750 will be too tight and cause you issues on the exit of turns plus feel like you're riding on a 2"x 4". In my opinion the RT shock kits do the trick and equal the performance (when set up properly) of name brand race shocks. These stockers lack adjustabilitly and even after installing the kit you have to know what you're doing to get it dialed in. I will continue to post my findings as I learn this shock. The rebound on this shock feels fine but it feels like it might struggle keeping up with high speed compression dampning. I'll know more in a few weeks. Unfortunately, both tracks I'll be riding have have been repaved and will probably not challenge the suspension too much.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ok, so for anyone who did this mod, did you set up the GSX-R shock with it's recommended OEM settings for rebound and compression and adjust it from there? Or did you zero everything out and start from scratch.

I'm trying to get an idea of where to start as I currently have everything set to OEM settings except for the preload which has 4-5 threads showing because it was way too stiff. (Trying to get some helpful t tips for a 170lbs/77kgs weight guy)

181 - 200 of 219 Posts