Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I'm a brand new rider and I'd just like a little guidance.
As I've never ridden a bike before now, I'm not used to a vehicle that operates at such high RPMs, and I feel like I'm not shifting at the correct times.
Can someone provide a simple list of the proper RPM and MPH where you should ideally be shifting at, on each gear of a 2018 Ninja 400?

Into 2nd Gear: RPM / MPH
Into 3rd Gear: RPM / MPH
Into 4th Gear: RPM / MPH
Into 5th Gear: RPM / MPH
Into 6th Gear: RPM / MPH

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
501 Posts
Every bike has its own ideal shift points..5 to 6k on this bike is the range nevermind the gear.

On this bike shifting anywhere more than 6k will result in a lost of feel imo.

·
Registered
440 Posts
As I've never ridden a bike before now, I'm not used to a vehicle that operates at such high RPMs, and I feel like I'm not shifting at the correct times.
Can someone provide a simple list of the proper RPM and MPH where you should ideally be shifting at, on each gear of a 2018 Ninja 400?

Into 2nd Gear: RPM / MPH
Into 3rd Gear: RPM / MPH
Into 4th Gear: RPM / MPH
Into 5th Gear: RPM / MPH
Into 6th Gear: RPM / MPH

Thanks in advance

Congrats on your new bike.. In the owners manual on page 85 gives you their suggestions on shifting speeds..
Into 2nd Gear: 9MPH
Into 3rd Gear: 15MPH
Into 4th Gear: 21MPH
Into 5th Gear: 27MPH
Into 6th Gear: 34MPH

You will get a feel for it and change that to higher speeds as time goes on..
THEY (page 81 owners manual)suggest staying under 4000rpm first 500 miles which is near impossible
And then under 6000rpm till 1000 miles.. good luck with that.. The owners manual has a lot of information for a small book... Safe Travels!

:grin::nerd::grin:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fuby, thanks.
I actually did see that page in the manual, but asked the question anyway because 6th gear at 34MPH just sounds straight up wrong.
Ridiculously too low a speed.
That would mean that 6th gear extends from 35 MPH to 120 MPH.
I don't know of any gear on any vehicle with that much range of speed.

Having said that, I am a total noob, so I defer to the opinions of those who know more than me.

·
Registered
440 Posts
yeah, the engine is pretty forgiving and runs bogged down easily.. seems it is capable of low or high RPM action..
so far for "me"..yeah the 5k mark seems about right in sound and feel.. but they say it will pull more..

umm once the breakin period is over..;-)

Reactions: TaiMc

·
Registered
656 Posts

Into 2nd Gear: Below 4K RPM / 9 MPH
Into 3rd Gear: Below 4K RPM / 15 MPH
Into 4th Gear: Below 4K RPM / 21 MPH
Into 5th Gear: Below 4K RPM / 27 MPH
Into 6th Gear: Below 4K RPM / 34 MPH

Thanks in advance
If you Just bought a new Ninja 400 - For now during the 600 mile break-in period you need to keep the rpms below 4K try not to exceed 5K, As fuby said this is difficult to do in real life.

Since your a new rider I'm more worried about you and not the bike, Stay off main roads for now till you are in absolute control of that bike... Ride in areas with speeds of 35 or less - There are to many mistakes that can be made in heavy traffic for now.

Have you taken any MCS courses....? Have you ridden / driven anything with a clutch before..? Do you have any friends to ride with...? Driven any quads or anything in the dirt..? Trying to get a feel for what you know already.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mr Mike, yes I did take an MSF.
And now, having done so, I think that the MSF is so crucial to learning to ride that I really believe it should be mandatory for ALL new riders when they try to get their M1 endorsement for the first time.

Thanks for the feedback guys, this has really helped alot.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Mr Mike, yes I did take an MSF.
And now, having done so, I think that the MSF is so crucial to learning to ride that I really believe it should be mandatory for ALL new riders when they try to get their M1 endorsement for the first time.

Thanks for the feedback guys, this has really helped alot.
lol I think new riders should have to take 3 MCS courses... Beginner, intermediate and advanced before they get a license.

·
Registered
295 Posts
mr Mike,
try getting a bike licence over in UK,what the learners have to thru puts a lot lads off bikes all together
Its close to a thousand pounds to get it ,not easy for car drivers either.

If im right I might not be ,seems over in your country you go town hall fill a form and get a licence very easily

·
Registered
295 Posts
Just taken a look at my riders handbook I cant find any guide to what rev or speed to change gear,
its def not page 85 in an English book,
I think most riders know when to change gear by feel of their machines,will take a while for a new to bikes rider

·
Registered
656 Posts
mr Mike,
try getting a bike licence over in UK,what the learners have to thru puts a lot lads off bikes all together
Its close to a thousand pounds to get it ,not easy for car drivers either.

If im right I might not be ,seems over in your country you go town hall fill a form and get a licence very easily
Hello stickflote, Umm... your pretty darn close - My good man. Some states are a little more stricter than others, but for the most part you walk in take the written & driving test - pass & pay $30.00 to get the M Lic endorsement that You have to renew every 4 - 8 years depending on state.

How ever the cost of insurance can be mind boggling, $200 to $3000 a year depending on the bike & tickets. My bike insurance is around 550.00 Yr. no tickets, full coverage and replacement cost if wrecked or stolen.

·
Registered
18 Posts
From 30 years since my first streetbike I've been wanting one of them classic 80's Kawasaki tranny's that shift like butter. That is the Ninja 400 for ya! It's got a great tranny. Lots of sweet spots. If your shift feels clunked and loud... just try to avoid that on the next shift. It'll be easy.

Sometimes I snick from first into 2nd gear once I'm rolling and other times I blast into space when I need the speed.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Just taken a look at my riders handbook I cant find any guide to what rev or speed to change gear,
its def not page 85 in an English book,
I think most riders know when to change gear by feel of their machines,will take a while for a new to bikes rider

Thats referring to the Kawasaki "Owners Manual" for the 400... in USA ...
He seen it..and read it.. and understood it..:)
and yes..you get the feel for and the sound of.. which becomes second nature in time...

:grin::nerd::grin:

·
Registered
440 Posts
Why do they need to put in what speeds to change gear in your handbook
and not in uk handbook,

Well... obviously people in the USA need this information more than the UK riders...
:grin::devil::grin:

·
Registered
440 Posts
Mmmm
what does that say about US .riders then:smile_big:
haha.. I guess it means we love all the information available and they know we can all read the manuals in the USA...:grin::devil::grin:

Reactions: JRed0630 and TaiMc

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
haha.. I guess it means we love all the information available and they know we can all read the manuals in the USA...:grin::devil::grin:
I love reading manuals because I didn't build it! I'd prefer to get my knowledge from folks that KNOW what they're talking about. Lots of people have advice and a preference on how they "like" to do things without knowing much at all. A lot of people just "pass on" what they've heard and have no intimate knowledge of the topic whatsoever.

So with regards to a motorcycle, I'll stick with the manual lol...

·
Registered
177 Posts
This. It becomes more or less instinctive.

The ideal shift points will change according to the situation because shift points are part of road strategy.

If you're just cruising around the streets of your quiet neighborhood, shifting into 6th at 35mph (56km/h) is perfectly appropriate. If instead you're on the on-ramp of a busy freeway or somewhere else where having more power at-the-ready would be useful, your shift points will be higher.

The Ninja 400's engine has some torque available at 35MPH (a.k.a. 3500RPM)... Dyno Test Thread

1 - 20 of 58 Posts