Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys brand new to motorcycles just picked up a new ninja 400 abs i now have 16 miles on the bike and was wondering is it alright if I hold in the clutch and change multiple gears or am I supposed to clutch in and one single gear change per time? Will it damage the bike? Also I know to keep it under 4k rpm untill I break it in, is there anything else I am supposed and not supposed to do with this beauty? :wink:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Shifting 2nd to 4th (etc) won't damage the bike. Many consider the 4K rpm thing to be legal talk to slow down new riders. Welcome, and keep the rubber side down!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I dont know if you knew what i mean so lets say im in 4th gear and i just hold the clutch in and do multiple shifts down into first but never releasing the clutch? Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sorry I dont know if you knew what i mean so lets say im in 4th gear and i just hold the clutch in and do multiple shifts down into first but never releasing the clutch? Thanks
Most of the time coming to a stop you will want to rev match to slow down and yes you can pull the clutch in and shift to which ever gear. So say you’re in 5th you can shift all the way to first with one pull of the clutch. Good luck and have fun with the new bike

·
Registered
172 Posts
Congrats on the new bike man, don't think you need to worry as much as you are about damaging the new toy aha. The clutch systems in bikes are a lot more forgiving than in cars.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Any time I come to a stop, I basically just flash my brake light a couple times, then pull in and hold the clutch and downshift gradually as I slow down (not 6th to 1st all at once, but 6th to 5th, 5th to 4th, etc as I slow down while the clutch is still held in this whole time). From what I can gather, this is rev matching. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Point is, (as far as I know) it's completely fine to shift from 6th->1st in one clutch pull, just make sure your gear matches your rpms, so if you have to let off the clutch and apply throttle mid-way, you won't lug your engine or over-rev (say an intersection that turns green as you approach for example)

·
Registered
108 Posts
That isn't rev matching, but it is sound advice to keep the bike in the correct gear for the speed.

I would also suggest releasing the clutch for engine braking (not necessarily in every gear but as you slow), but it isn't necessary and you won't do any harm to the bike either way.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Rev matching is really more about opening the throttle to the correct position when releasing the clutch to ensure that the your RPM's with the clutch held are as close as possible to what they will be once released.
In the pure sense, you're not rev matching if you're not releasing the clutch.

That said, if you're keeping the clutch held as you are down shifting through multiple gears (which as others have said is perfectly fine), you are doing the right and safe thing by being in an appropriate gear for your speed as you slow so that should you need to, you can apply throttle (rev match) and let the clutch out to accelerate or maintain speed.

Hopefully this makes sense. Sounds like you're on the right path.

Any time I come to a stop, I basically just flash my brake light a couple times, then pull in and hold the clutch and downshift gradually as I slow down (not 6th to 1st all at once, but 6th to 5th, 5th to 4th, etc as I slow down while the clutch is still held in this whole time). From what I can gather, this is rev matching. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Point is, (as far as I know) it's completely fine to shift from 6th->1st in one clutch pull, just make sure your gear matches your rpms, so if you have to let off the clutch and apply throttle mid-way, you won't lug your engine or over-rev (say an intersection that turns green as you approach for example)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ohh okay thanks guys. I just naturally started doing that maneuver when I started riding, so I didn't learn it from anyone per se. And because of that I didn't know how to call it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts