Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So I have right now a bit more than 2000km on the bike.. Pretty confident to say that's the shittest shift lever i've seen. I dont if it just me but the clutch and gear change feels vauge, the shift lever is so...un feel-able...I've set my throttle slack, My clutch lever freeplay and even adjusted the shift lever position to fit it to leg so I will have minimum problems at the shifting ---> hoping it'll be smooth. But its not. This shift lever is just a pile of ****!

2000km and I can count on one hand the times it felt good & smooth to shift, whenever its down or up. I alot of times find myself wanting to downshift and I press the shift lever and I get the feeling i shifted down but I didnt, nothing happened so I go again harder... same goes for upshifting.

I've come to a conclustion that this shift lever is a pile of sh^t. Feel free to share your thoughts, maybe its just me, but its not my first bike and I am not a new rider.

Even Ari Henning said it a recent video Motorcyclist Magainze just uploaded in their youtube channel (Track Ninja 400 Motorcycle) that the clutch feel is too "easy" to pull so it feels vauge and if you go agressive with it it causes the gears to slip...

So anyhow..... does anyone know any aftermarket shift levers? Or a way to make it more stiff?

I love this bike but since the first moment I have it clutch pull & shifting feels like crap... all honesty on this one

·
Registered
295 Posts
IS the lever wearing on the spines that would make it feel loose and vague?as for being Aggressive on clutch lever
you cant its either engaged or not ,its meant to be easy on down shifts,
the gearbox is not designed for clutch less changes

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IS the lever wearing on the spines that would make it feel loose and vague?as for being Aggressive on clutch lever
you cant its either engaged or not ,its meant to be easy on down shifts,
the gearbox is not designed for clutch less changes
I am always pulling the clutch while shifting... not doing any clutchless ones

I just made a refrence that for me (And for Ari Henning as well it seems) when you shift in high revs it just feels even more crappier while In lower revs..

I usually shift at 5-6k, anything above that I just get a more crappier feel. But overall feel is bad and vauge, no matter whether its on 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, or 10k.

I am pretty confident that shift lever is causing all the problems...

·
Registered
295 Posts
Take the gea r lever off and check the splines,
on what you say then I don't think its clutch problems,'.
With all these problems, think I should bought a Honda ive had five
and never any problems

·
Registered
744 Posts
Hi all,

So I have right now a bit more than 2000km on the bike.. Pretty confident to say that's the shittest shift lever i've seen. I dont if it just me but the clutch and gear change feels vauge, the shift lever is so...un feel-able...I've set my throttle slack, My clutch lever freeplay and even adjusted the shift lever position to fit it to leg so I will have minimum problems at the shifting ---> hoping it'll be smooth. But its not. This shift lever is just a pile of ****!

2000km and I can count on one hand the times it felt good & smooth to shift, whenever its down or up. I alot of times find myself wanting to downshift and I press the shift lever and I get the feeling i shifted down but I didnt, nothing happened so I go again harder... same goes for upshifting.

I've come to a conclustion that this shift lever is a pile of sh^t. Feel free to share your thoughts, maybe its just me, but its not my first bike and I am not a new rider.

Even Ari Henning said it a recent video Motorcyclist Magainze just uploaded in their youtube channel (Track Ninja 400 Motorcycle) that the clutch feel is too "easy" to pull so it feels vauge and if you go agressive with it it causes the gears to slip...

So anyhow..... does anyone know any aftermarket shift levers? Or a way to make it more stiff?

I love this bike but since the first moment I have it clutch pull & shifting feels like crap... all honesty on this one
I know exactly what you mean bro! Yes the vagueness of the lever can be abolished with a heavy duty detent spring from Spears Racing Enterprise. Spears kit SP13-400.

https://www.spearsenterprises.com/ex400.html

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know exactly what you mean bro! Yes the vagueness of the lever can be abolished with heavy duty detent springs from Spears Racing Enterprise. It's an involved task as it requires opening the tranny case.

https://www.spearsenterprises.com/ex400.html

Is this the Spears Heavy Duty Detent Spring
SP13-400 ?

Have you bought / used it? How extacly does it work? And how many of these considering I am buying this I will need to buy, its 60$ a piece / single unit (1) for what I see..?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Reactions: Muchacho22

·
Registered
744 Posts
Is this the Spears Heavy Duty Detent Spring
SP13-400 ?

Have you bought / used it? How extacly does it work? And how many of these considering I am buying this I will need to buy, its 60$ a piece / single unit (1) for what I see..?
Muchacho, it looks like you can replace the detent spring without splitting the case. It can be accessed via the right side clutch cover. You will need to remove clutch basket to get access. This is great because, now you can upgrade the detent spring and the clutch springs and clutch plates.

A member here has mentioned clutch slippage when shifting in higher rpm's. Kill two birds with one stone. Woot woot!

Reactions: L337sponge

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Muchacho, it looks like you can replace the detent spring without splitting the case. It can be accessed via the right side clutch cover. You will need to remove clutch basket to get access. This is great because, now you can upgrade the detent spring and the clutch spring and clutch plates.

A member here has mentioned clutch slippage when shifting in higher rpm's. Kill two birds with one stone. Woot woot!

Are we talking about the kit SP34-400?

I aint gonna do any of it if I will buy it, probably going to hand over to the only guy I trust with my bike

·
Registered
744 Posts
Are we talking about the kit SP34-400?

I aint gonna do any of it if I will buy it, probably going to hand over to the only guy I trust with my bike
NO, the Spears kit is SP13-400.

I'm gonna do this mod when my clutch needs replacing. And I'll upgrade the clutch too. :grin:

·
Registered
656 Posts
Hi all,

Just clarifying, Are you talking about a Shift Lever or the Clutch Lever, Both are Mentioned..? You speak of Ari Hennings clutch lever tension and then ask about a shifting Lever ????

·
Registered
744 Posts
I find both the hand clutch lever and the foot shift lever are vague as feck.

Spears has a solution for both. Kit SP13-400 for a firmer gear change throw. And they offer heavy duty springs and clutch kit SP34-400.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just clarifying, Are you talking about a Shift Lever or the Clutch Lever, Both are Mentioned..? You speak of Ari Hennings clutch lever tension and then ask about a shifting Lever ????

Shift lever. When I talked about the clutch i meant the overall feel

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
NO, the Spears kit is SP13-400.

I'm gonna do this mod when my clutch needs replacing. And I'll upgrade the clutch too. :grin:
I thought you meant I should change the plates in the clutch as well (SP34).

So should I just go for now on the SP13? How much worktime is it? I somewhere to full day?

·
Registered
744 Posts
I thought you meant I should change the plates in the clutch as well (SP34).

So should I just go for now on the SP13? How much worktime is it? I somewhere to full day?
The SP13 spring will only fix your foot shift lever feel. Makes changing gears more firmer, more tactile.

Whereas the SP34 replaces your OEM clutch friction, steel plates and weak springs. Its heavy duty springs will stiffen the clutch pull feel and eliminate/reduce clutch slippage in higher rpm's. comprende?

You can replace both in one shot.

I'll post pics about clutch replacement..

·
Registered
744 Posts
The SP13 detent spring replaces the gear position lever stock spring.

detent spring.jpg

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The SP13 spring will only fix your foot shift lever feel. Makes changing gears more firmer, more tactile.

Whereas the SP34 replaces your OEM clutch friction, steel plates and weak springs. Its heavy duty springs will stiffen the clutch pull feel and eliminate/reduce clutch slippage in higher rpm's. comprende?

You can replace both in one shot.

I'll post pics about clutch replacement..

Comprende muchacho, gracias.

·
Registered
744 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As for now, someone knows any aftermarket shift levers?

I have to change this piece of garbage first

someone...please!!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts