Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to have a camera on my bike that way in case there's any funny business with people cutting me off or anything like that I have some evidence to support any claims.

Let me start by saying I HATE how GoPros look. I'd like to mount a camera on my helmet, but GoPros helm mounted just look god-awful. I was looking at the Sena Prism Tube, and that would work as a shenanicam, but I know I'm gonna want a better quality camera during the summer when my friend who lives out of state comes to visit for a week of riding. For that, the Prism Tube just won't cut it.

So here's my question: what do you guys recommend for mounting a quality camera that doesn't look like absolute garbage? Should I just get a GoPro and try to mount it somewhere on my bike? (Behind windshield for example)

·
Registered
199 Posts
For your purpose I would really take a look at the Sena Prism Tube.

Pretty unobtrusive, and can be had for about $119 right now. Video quality isn't up to a GoPro, but the form factor is great, and if you're interested, it also comes with a very small in-helmet microphone.

https://www.sena.com/product/prism-tube/

·
Registered
237 Posts
I recently got a Sena Prism Tube and I find fully adequate for the task of "dash cam" and for scenery recording but of course it won't hold a candle to a 4k resolution GoPro.

It does beat it on unobtrusiveness and compactness however. One of the downsides is it has a battery life of only up to 3 hours unless of course you install a usb charger and run a long power cable lol

·
Registered
199 Posts
^^ Agreed.
I just got one as well (previously had GoPro Session on the helmet, but I wanted less obtrusive and wanted the microphone).

Very interested to see what the release date and pricing is going to be for their new WiFi model which offers 4k30 and 1080/60.

Depending on pricing, my Prism Tube may go up for sale when it comes out. :)

·
Registered
656 Posts
I have the Sena 10c running 720p 60, I have it mounted so my helmets not in view. Video is dash-cam quality but suits my purpose well and the phone works great.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the suggestions!

Like I said, I am considering the Tube, but when my friend visits, I know I want at least 1080p60 video quality. Which means if I buy a tube now, I'll have to buy a better quality camera later on.

As far as the hero session goes, I've looked at it but I honestly still think it looks way too goofy mounted on a helm. Which is why I was asking about other mounting options, like behind windshield or somewhere it won't be obtrusive.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm all for low key camera personally but I think chin bar mounted GoPro still gives the best POV (this is my setup). Used to hate the look of a GoPro on the helmet but I'm used to it now and it's not that bad.
GoPro Session looks pretty low key mounted on the helmet but it doesn't have the wind noise reduction option which is bad, I'm using the Hero 5 Black

·
Registered
24 Posts
Depending on your budget and all personally, I use an action camera for my safety.
I use a Campark 4k which netted me 55 USD.

I also have a BT-S2 bluetooth setup which netted me 35 USD. ( connects to 3 other users, sena compatible)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Here's my setup with the gopro, I just got the windslayer cover and it works well.
I know this looks ridiculous to some people with the camera and all but I dont mind the look as much anymore :)

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have mine on the chin bar, it should come with everything you need for installation.
Do you have a set up for audio recording? Like a microphone inside your helmet? I know the camera itself captures audio but i would like to be heard better inside the helmet.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Do you have a set up for audio recording? Like a microphone inside your helmet? I know the camera itself captures audio but i would like to be heard better inside the helmet.
The only mic I have is for my packtalk, it shouldn't be hard to rig up a mic to the go pro though. I looked into it once but that's as far as it got. I'm sure Amazon has everything you'd need for it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Bought that sena prism tube and it works perfectly. Good video and sound quality. Will probably down the road get a go pro and mount it but this will do for a good while.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have a session 5 chin mounted to my shoei RF-1200. Got the 3d printed gopro mount from hellmounts, used a J-mount and then 3d printed a GoPro extension arm. As for sound I use a zoom ZH1 that I put in the tail. With the foam wind sock on it fits snug between the seat and plastic bits.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts