Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased the Sena Momentum INC in white. There is a fairly long wait on these helmets as they are back ordered, the black is an even longer wait.

I have owned several helmets in all my time but never a full faced helmet that couldn't be flipped up like this one. The price was $550, but considering the price of a new helmet and a Sena product like the 20C helped justify my purchase. I like how everything is integrated and there are no parts hanging off or clipped on to the helmet. On to my review.

I went with the XL size as that's what I wear in all my other helmets. I had never worn a Sena helmet and they didn't have any to try on. It fits very snug and is a little difficult to get on and off but when I'm wearing it the fit is great. The helmet comes with smaller ear pads in the box, which I switched to after putting on the helmet fo the 1st time.

My reason for wanting this helmet was that it could connect with my phone so I could stream music, navigation, make phone calls and if I'm ever on a trip with someone else who has a Sena product use the intercom system.

I also wanted this helmet because of the noise cancelling it provides. A simple download of the Sena app and my helmet was very easy to connect. It's a little weird having to plug in my helmet to charge it.

The noise reduction is absolutely awesome. I've made a few phone calls and the other person couldn't tell I was talking inside a helmet. The music and navigation commands also come through easy to hear. Granted there is not a lot of bass in the speakers, but I mostly listen to Sirius NFL Talk radio.

Admittedly, I am still in the break-in phase and have not gone above 45 mph. I can say even with the visor open my phone call was crystal clear. No high speed tests have been completed.

My areas of improvement it would be the following:

Built-in flip down sun visor

Better ventilation

Ability to use voice activation to contact anyone in my contact list. Currently you can have 3 quick contacts.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Quality 4.5/5
Price 2.5/5
Comfort 4/5
Technology 5/5
Fit 4/5
Sound dampening 5/5

Outside of the few areas I mentioned for improvement, I really like the helmet. I also fell like the $45 remote should have been included with the price tag, but I'm not sure I'll need it with the voice commands and buttons on the helmet.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I was looking into this helmet over the weekend. I've experienced active noise cancelling (ANC) before and have used this on flights before to filter out the engine noise but this takes it to a whole new level of usability. Must say though, as other reviewers have pointed out, that if you wanted to switch helmet for whatever reason you cannot remove the internal components like you can with the clip on systems Sena provides.

If they bring out ANC for the external clip devices they have, I may not be able to resist the urge to grab one.

Anyone else get the feeling that Sena charge an absurdly high price for a glorified BT transmitter? lol

·
Registered
656 Posts
I was looking into this helmet over the weekend. I've experienced active noise cancelling (ANC) before and have used this on flights before to filter out the engine noise but this takes it to a whole new level of usability. Must say though, as other reviewers have pointed out, that if you wanted to switch helmet for whatever reason you cannot remove the internal components like you can with the clip on systems Sena provides.

If they bring out ANC for the external clip devices they have, I may not be able to resist the urge to grab one.

Anyone else get the feeling that Sena charge an absurdly high price for a glorified BT transmitter? lol
I just bought a new helmet, Sure glade I could just move my Sena over to the new one, My Sena 10C is noise canceling, you don't even know I'm on the bike till I hit 45+ Mph, and even then you can hear me clearly with the face shield up.. If you need a sample Send a PM with you # ill call when I'm riding. I love this thing its amazing.

@Holoquest will attest to it as well, Hes the one that convinced me to get one. Its worth every nickel I paid, It reads off texts that come in, answers phone calls, talk to friends when ride together within a mile , Has Am - Fm radio, The 10C is also an audio & video recorder... Most you guys are missing out honestly..!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Glad you like the Sena Momentum helmet and if you're happy with it that's all that matters. :)

I've only had one helmet (Arai Signet-Q Pro Tour) that I still use today. Personally I'm not a huge fan of bluetooth comms when riding a motorcycle since I think it can be too distracting but I finally gave in a couple of weeks ago and bought a cheap Cardo Freecom 1 for $100 on Amazon. I'm mainly a solo rider and only want it to hear GPS directions without taking my eyes of the rode and having to look at my iPhone. I'll admit listening to background music is nice but it's hard to hear any music above 60 mph at least with my current helmet and the not so great speakers that Cardo included. I did not attach the microphone since I don't plan on answering or making calls when riding.

My one major concern with the Sena helmet is that Sena's main business is specific to bluetooth products. I prefer motorcycle helmets that are designed and produced by manufacturers where it's their primary focus. Maybe Sena hired some of the best designers and engineers but I would be hesitate about how safe the helmet is in an accident that involves the head. The only other issue is if there are any wiring or issues with the bluetooth since it's built in, I'm assuming you would have to ship the helmet for any warranty service. This may not be an issue for someone that has more than one helmet to use. Also it's nice to move a bluetooth unit from one helmet to another.

And this could be me and just in my head but if a helmet only has an option of DOT vs Snell vs ECE certified, I would only buy one that is Snell or ECE certified since the testing seems more rigorous.

On a tangent, I'm sure more and more helmets will eventually have more high tech device components built in or can be easily attached/detached. Hopefully adding this tech does not compromise the safety or potential head impacts based on helmet design. I'm curious to see how the Skully Fenix AR Smart Motorcycle Helmet will be and if it will meet or exceed expectations once it's released. Nice that another company bought the failed start up... I would love to have a rear camera and GPS maps functionality visible on the visor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts