Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since someone just had their 400 ridden away without a key, I thought I'd share some simple things you can do to protect your bike from ride-away theft...
  1. it goes without saying, but use some kind of physical lock (steering lock, disk brake lock, etc.), and
  2. remove the 5A accessory fuse (assuming you are not using the accessory socket).
The 5A accessory fuse can simply be removed from fuse box #2:

Ride safe!

-- Rich

·
Registered
1 Posts
What does that fuse do exactly, and how does it affect the bike?

Im not worried so much about my bike getting stolen because I live in a fairly low crime area, but I’m always looking for simple ways to prevent theft or tampering.

·
Registered
2017 Suzuki GSXR1000 2010 Suzuki GSXR600 x2 2018/19 N400
496 Posts
well for some of us having as much invested than buying SS...our security feature is called insurance !! or you can pay a small fee for a GPS tracking service ! as once upon a time as a mobile electronics installer...even after installing an alram.I would always tell the customer... :" if someone wants somethng bad enough,they'll take it !!!! " have you ever seen how they steal bikes at Daytona week !!!?? you're lil gimmic wouldn't stnd a chance LOL

·
Registered
500 Posts
Thanks for posting. It's part of risk management. Yeah, they can even come and take the bike with a pickup truck. They could also smash the GPS tracking device. But for most thieves, a simple deterrent goes a long way. This is why I have very visible disk lock. It does not have an alarm, I figure if someone knows how to steal the bike with the lock on, they probably know how to bypass an alarm as well.

·
Registered
508 Posts
That's all well and good but you plan to spend 30 minutes removing and installing fairings every time you want to go for a ride? You can't access the fuse box on the N400 without removing the fairings.

If security is a big issue, probably a really thick chain attached to a buried post and a GPS tracker is the way to go.

·
Registered
477 Posts
This is all pretty silly. If you leave a bike in a vulnerable open area there is nothing you can do to stop a thief from taking it. Nothing. Chains take 15 seconds to cut. Most thieves pick the bike up and throw it in a van and gone. GPS trackers? Everyone knows what they look like and easy to find on a motorcycle. Besides, after being stolen and totally torn up I don’t want it back. I want a new one. :)

:)

·
Registered
500 Posts
I think the OP wrote about his research on how to start a bike without a key, if the bike was turned off but the steering not locked. It's a good think to know. Myself I don't know the implications of removing that fuse. Maybe it is harmless and you don't have to do it every time. I do think that it will deter SOME thieves from stealing the bike but of course, before they figure it out, they will vandalize it a bit.

I just want to throw this story out here, it was told to me by a senior software engineer at my first job. This happened last millennium, before GPS tracking was a common thing. His previous company worked on a anti-theft system for trucks. They developed it and it was in testing (I think it passed testing) when they showed it to a truck driver, very proud of their thing and told him to try and steal the truck. Well, the first thing the truck driver did was get a big ass sledgehammer and beat the **** out of the box containing the security system. Game over.

Successful thieves always think like this: simple and effective, not playing your game but seeking weaknesses outside the system. That said, not all thieves are successful and a deterrent is worth it because it will bring you some piece of mind. When that fails, like it was said, there is also insurance.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I dont really understand how removing this fuse will not let a thief start up the bike without a key, as all you need as a thief to do if you choose that way is simply stick a bit of electrial wire in some outlet coming from the igniton in some point, and once its a closed circuit it should run. That said it's not really an easy thing to do AT ALL at a full fairing bike, as it happens mostly on scooters which is super easy... And wiith that said, most thefts I hear about is simply throwing the bike in the back of a pickup truck... so.....I would really like to know how it effects and works though...

·
Registered
20 Ninja 400 prior - 84 GS550 88 Ninja 600 91 ZX-7R 98 GSXR750 04 XB9R
120 Posts
I was hanging out in Costa Mesa for a few months in the 90s. A trip to the mall cost me my ZX-7. We parked in a row with a bunch of other bikes. A flat bed truck loaded up about ten bikes and headed out, after providing a security guard with a business card for the towing company. The towing company didn’t exist and I never saw my ZX7 again.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
What does that fuse do exactly, and how does it affect the bike?
That's all well and good but you plan to spend 30 minutes removing and installing fairings every time you want to go for a ride? You can't access the fuse box on the N400 without removing the fairings.
That fuse is unnecessary for normal riding and supplies power to an exposed connector, where it can be reverse fed back into the bike. Walking up to a bike using a wiring harness I made, including just the other side of the connector (and an undisclosed trick), I can hotwire it in under a minute and drive away, no disassembly or cutting or breakage needed.

I dont really understand how removing this fuse will not let a thief start up the bike without a key, as all you need as a thief to do if you choose that way is simply stick a bit of electrical wire in some outlet coming from the igniton in some point, and once its a closed circuit it should run.
The fuse box and ignition circuitry is fairly well protected -- it takes many minutes (or cutting or breaking) to get access to power with the fuse removed; with the fuse installed, power is trivially available at an exposed location.

·
Registered
553 Posts
That fuse is unnecessary for normal riding and supplies power to an exposed connector, where it can be reverse fed back into the bike. Walking up to a bike using a wiring harness I made, including just the other side of the connector (and an undisclosed trick), I can hotwire it in under a minute and drive away, no disassembly or cutting or breakage needed.

The fuse box and ignition circuitry is fairly well protected -- it takes many minutes (or cutting or breaking) to get access to power with the fuse removed; with the fuse installed, power is trivially available at an exposed location.

PS this works so easily now because of LED headlights -- the bike draws much less current when running... If you look at the original post that led to this issue, you see the thieves cut the alternator wires, so the headlights would never come on and overwhelm the reverse power feed (they come on only after the alternator starts generating voltage) -- that step was from the old-school-thieving-manual, before LED headlights... (The thieves probably didn't read the next step -- don't use the horn or anything else that draws a lot of current while you are riding away -- or your joyride will end!)
I just read that thread you mentioned, but yet to understand from where did you hotwire the bike exactly. If you can do a video that will be cool.

·
Registered
78 Posts
End of the day, if thieves want it bad enough they will just take it... the majority are fairly stupid and desperate for a quick buck, and won't care much for researching things like fuses to start a bike, etc. They'll just pick the bike up, load it into a stolen van or trailer, and it's as simple as that, it's gone. Fitting a disc-lock will deter only the lazy thief acting on their own, and a tracker will only last a few hours until they find it and toss it. Immobilizers are equally useless...they won't be riding the bike, just stripping it for parts in most cases. Ground anchor points with 2x hefty quality chains are your best bet (while parked in a locked garage behind gates, camera system with NAS, owning a dog, and parking a car up the driveway as a blocker). The noise and sheer effort required is far too much of a risk to get caught and they'll always go for an easier target instead.

I'm always fearful of this happening to me, but thankfully in 20yrs never had it happen. To beat them, you have to think like them. ;)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
PLEASE DO NOT DO THAT..
Agreed, hence why I am a bit vague...

The bottom line is most of us don't even need the accessory fuse, so why not remove it and make it that much harder for more educated thieves (like the ones who actually exist in the real world of the original post)?

After disassembling it all, I do have new appreciation for the steering lock mechanism as well -- and you should prefer to use "lock" position over "off" for more reasons than just locking the steering -- as a different set of (less educated) thieves discovered in this post.

-- Rich

·
Registered
553 Posts
Yeah I understand both you guys point but it just for my own interest, I know the basics and I think I know the point is at the right side of the bike (vague here too) but really just curious to see that. You can do a private youtube video that will show only to the ones have that link, I have no interest to spread that as I am a 400 owner myself, and even if I wasn't, I wouldn't do that (though, once again, those who put their mind to it wont need much of an effort), I live on the other side of the globe from you guys :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
That s a hot mess of a reply tbh Sharing stuff like that is just plain stupid, and it cannot be undone. Totally stupid, ignorant, and I suspect you know exactly how dumb as **** you truly are. Never come back to this forum, you are finished IDIOTS LIKE YOU MADE THAT HAPPEN.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Calm your horses down mate, as every post here can be deleted by the mods. Besides, every two bit wananbe proabably know how to hotwire a bike and it's not that hard to figure. With that said, doing this on a full fairing bike is next to non-existent when talking about motorcycle thefts, and if a thief does decide on the rare occasion to steal a 400 that way, he probably wont visit that forum. Give me a break, take yourself one too and calm the **** down...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts