Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

141 - 160 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
Very cool, nice....packed grid.....and I hear you, the kids these days........nuts, almost need thier own grid.......the fast Moto America/super fast grids.....and the rest of us....... but its good......maybe this means its coming soon to have another American on the Moto GP grid that can kick some serious tail :)

This was/is Rocco, right??

View attachment 15259
Yep!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
Interesting to see some times these hotshots are pulling. Yes I hate that feeling you describe in a close bunched start scenario.
I had that happen to me last year in a Nationals race when I ever so slightly jumped the start (but got away with it lol) and got probably my best drive off the line ever. I arrived at the first corner with five riders behind me after I had been last on the grid. My euphoria quickly dissipated though as one of the younger guys promptly barged up the inside of me and nearly put me off the edge of the track which allowed another couple of riders to come though as well...
Gotta love racing despite the emotional roller coaster eh.
Edit: deleted...link not working :(

·
Super Moderator
1,221 Posts
Great video. You have some great lines looks like a great time. Kids are always faster whether it is racing motorcycles, skiing or mountain biking... back in the day I was the same on skis , now I watch in awe at what they are doing. I guess the fear factor is less and being shamed from friends is even worse!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
Great video. You have some great lines looks like a great time. Kids are always faster whether it is racing motorcycles, skiing or mountain biking... back in the day I was the same on skis , now I watch in awe at what they are doing. I guess the fear factor is less and being shamed from friends is even worse!
And with low powered bikes like the 300/400s, weight is a huge factor. I weigh about double what most of these kids weigh. I'm sure at a typical track, that alone can be 1.5-2 seconds. More weight means more braking distance, so even if I can go into a turn at the same speed as them, the extra weight means I have to brake earlier. Acceleration out of turns is also similarly affected.

That's one of the main reasons I'm looking at getting back on a 600 again. Rider weight makes less of an impact and there are a lot more adults in those classes, rather than up and coming pro kids. But the little bikes are just such a blast to race!

·
Registered
21 Posts
And with low powered bikes like the 300/400s, weight is a huge factor. I weigh about double what most of these kids weigh. I'm sure at a typical track, that alone can be 1.5-2 seconds. More weight means more braking distance, so even if I can go into a turn at the same speed as them, the extra weight means I have to brake earlier. Acceleration out of turns is also similarly affected.

That's one of the main reasons I'm looking at getting back on a 600 again. Rider weight makes less of an impact and there are a lot more adults in those classes, rather than up and coming pro kids. But the little bikes are just such a blast to race!
Buy my 600 so I can get some goodies for a 400 :D

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
Buy my 600 so I can get some goodies for a 400 :D
Still planning on it, but as I said before, won't be able to do it until mid-October, just before the Laguna Seca MA round (assuming I can find someone to bring it to the east coast).

Did you get a 400 then??

·
Registered
21 Posts
Still planning on it, but as I said before, won't be able to do it until mid-October, just before the Laguna Seca MA round (assuming I can find someone to bring it to the east coast).

Did you get a 400 then??
Not yet. Still looking for one. I just have one rented for Thunderhill.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
Doing something a little different for this weekend. I'm about to head out to PittRace, near Pittsburgh. Track day tomorrow to learn the track because I've never been there before, and then Saturday a couple of friends and I are doing a 2-hour endurance race on my bike, followed by a few sprint races on Sunday. Neither of us have any experience at this track so we all need to learn it tomorrow and one of the guys has no experience riding a 400 (he raced a 300 and now an FZ07).

Goal is to just finish the race! Hope the bike holds up and hope we can manage the time and pit stops well. I'm a bit concerned with how long I will last on the bike as I've always had arm pump issues and I generally struggle after only about 15 minutes. Hoping if I don't push quite to 100% every lap I can last longer.

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
Sounds like a cool experience. If you dont know that track now then you sure will after 2hrs racing it lol. Yeah I have trouble with fade too so will be interesting to hear how you go. How's the heat factor?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
Sounds like a cool experience. If you dont know that track now then you sure will after 2hrs racing it lol. Yeah I have trouble with fade too so will be interesting to hear how you go. How's the heat factor?
Weather was pretty much perfect today for the track day and forecast shows to be the same for tomorrow morning during the race. Not hot, not cold, just perfect for racing.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
We finished the race! Solid effort by the team! Super happy with how our team performed. All of us were consistent and all of us were within about a second of each other on lap times. Ended up in P4 out of 12 and only 4.9 seconds behind P3. We technically crossed the checkered in 3rd but I guess endurance races go by time not the flag and our last full lap didn’t count. Nevertheless happy with the result and the team!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
Right after that race, I packed up my stuff and drove 8 hours back to NCCAR so I can race with the usual organization and guys that I race with in an effort to salvage some points for the championship. However today was just not my day. After 2 days of riding and an 8-hour drive yesterday, I was just exhausted and I simply wasn't really "feeling it" today. I was a bit off pace and just didn't feel like I could turn the bike right, so I didn't do well at all. Didn't help that both my races were red-flagged and re-started. Packed it up and came home in one piece though.

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
You've been busy bro! Well done on the P4 in the endurance race. Incredible it came down to just 4.9 seconds after 2 hrs racing. That's a good showing and obviously your bike was reliable eh. Do you think you'd be keen to do more of that sort of racing?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
You've been busy bro! Well done on the P4 in the endurance race. Incredible it came down to just 4.9 seconds after 2 hrs racing. That's a good showing and obviously your bike was reliable eh. Do you think you'd be keen to do more of that sort of racing?
I don't know. Maybe on occasion, but not to pursue it more every season. I don't really see myself doing an endurance race on anything bigger than a 400, and unfortunately the endurance grids for little bikes are lacking. The race itself was pretty boring for me...ran my entire stint by myself (with the exception of some backmarkers I passed). Personally I'd much rather do sprint races. Sprints are all about going as fast as you possibly can and passing the riders in front. Endurance has a lot more variables....reliability of bikes, how quick you are with your pit stops, extensive preparation, team dynamics, etc. In sprint races, generally the fastest guy wins. In endurance, not necessarily, and many times in fact that's not the case.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't know. Maybe on occasion, but not to pursue it more every season. I don't really see myself doing an endurance race on anything bigger than a 400, and unfortunately the endurance grids for little bikes are lacking. The race itself was pretty boring for me...ran my entire stint by myself (with the exception of some backmarkers I passed). Personally I'd much rather do sprint races. Sprints are all about going as fast as you possibly can and passing the riders in front. Endurance has a lot more variables....reliability of bikes, how quick you are with your pit stops, extensive preparation, team dynamics, etc. In sprint races, generally the fastest guy wins. In endurance, not necessarily, and many times in fact that's not the case.
You can simplify it by running a team of 1 :sneaky:
Also, there's an unwritten rule - gotta keep running 'em until you get a podium...so expect to see you out there again next year

I broke my cardinal rule and sat down post race...still a bad idea..

PS - my stock rotor did fine...you must just not be smooth enough (jk)

If you're available this Sunday - come up to Nelson and do the 2 hour (Lean Trackdays) - Sam runs a great gig and its always a blast...where else can you do 100 laps in 2 hours on a 400 (well almost 100 laps)?

Hope to see you again soon
Peace,

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
You can simplify it by running a team of 1 :sneaky:
Also, there's an unwritten rule - gotta keep running 'em until you get a podium...so expect to see you out there again next year

I broke my cardinal rule and sat down post race...still a bad idea..

PS - my stock rotor did fine...you must just not be smooth enough (jk)

If you're available this Sunday - come up to Nelson and do the 2 hour (Lean Trackdays) - Sam runs a great gig and its always a blast...where else can you do 100 laps in 2 hours on a 400 (well almost 100 laps)?

Hope to see you again soon
Peace,
Heeey, there's the race winner himself! Congrats on the win again, and yes I can imagine after 2 hours on the bike with only a short break in between would be hard on your body lol

There's no way in **** I could do this all by myself. After the 17 laps I did, I felt like I probably could've done 4-5 more but that's about it. Oddly enough my fastest lap was my last one, and by a decent margin too! lol

You've got this all down pretty good. I looked at all the laps afterwards and we lost about 40-45 seconds to you just in the pits (doing 2 stops instead of 1, and your stop was faster than ours too). The rest was just you going quite a bit faster. I think you probably averaged around 2-3 seconds faster than us, so there was no hope for us. I was just disappointed that we didn't get the 3rd place even though we crossed the checkered in 3rd.

My season is probably over now, unless I decide to go to Daytona in October.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Daytona got canceled didn't it?

It's only $150 for the ULW race..that's $50 a piece for you B&B...how can you pass that up? Can do one of the 4 hour races in the afternoon as well if want...pony express is cool - everyone rides their own bike (instead of a single team bike)...you know you wanna....

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
Daytona got canceled didn't it?

It's only $150 for the ULW race..that's $50 a piece for you B&B...how can you pass that up? Can do one of the 4 hour races in the afternoon as well if want...pony express is cool - everyone rides their own bike (instead of a single team bike)...you know you wanna....
Daytona 200 was canceled, but the Race of Champions which is a CCS event they've been doing in October every year for a long time, is still on for now. As far as CCS is concerned that event will take place. Only way it doesn't is if the city of Daytona Beach mandates the track to cancel all events (like they did in March when we were already there).

PittRace was already far enough. Nelson Ledges is another hour or so farther. Not worth the drive for me. We'll have to wait and see what the schedule is like for next season, then I might give it another try at one of the tracks around here that's closer. Maybe Summit Point if they have one there again. We all kinda kicked ourselves back in June for not doing the Summit Point round. Heather won that one and when we looked at lap times she was only running 29/30s. Bret, Brian and I are all capable of running 26s there, or at least 27s if we're just cruising by ourselves. We would've had a much better chance of winning there.

141 - 160 of 167 Posts