Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

121 - 140 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
There's riding motorcycles and then there's racing motorcycles though. I started riding when I was 11 and I'm a very average racer. But I didnt start racing until I was 44, so I lost the fearless years lol. I wish I had got into racing earlier. I did do some crazy stuff on the roads during the fearless years (and luckily got away with it) but as you know, it's different to competitive racing.
Yeah, I meant racing, not riding. All these kids that started way earlier started with racing mini bikes. Most of them still don't have a license because they're not old enough, even though they've been on bikes and racing them for almost 10 years in some cases!

·
Registered
269 Posts
And the freakin kids man! We (adults) got our asses kicked by kids this weekend. I lost track of how many of them little shits were out there embarrassing the rest of us. Pretty soon there needs to be a separation in class. Instead of having amateurs and experts, there should be under 20 and over 20 years old lol
How about 50 and older, I like my odds in that group a lot better than in yours. 🧓

·
Registered
718 Posts
How about 50 and older, I like my odds in that group a lot better than in yours. 🧓
I'll remind you guys... In other sports they call those "Senior's" divisions. When one of the only benefits of aging is a cheap "senior's coffee" at McDonalds, you really shouldn't look forward to 'old and slow'. ;)

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Had a pretty decent weekend at Summit Point, despite not getting very good results. The competition was closer and tougher than ever with so many people capable of doing similar lap times. In this race (Moto 3), we had a group of 10 covered by 3.9 seconds at the end, with everyone capable of running very similar lap times, within about a second of each other. Besides the first race, which was in the rain, all my other 3 races were very close like this, and it was tough to pass people when there is a group in front of you running similar pace and everyone trying to make passes on the next guy. Definitely got a lot of practice on passing and getting passed!

At least in the wet race I got 3rd :)....I was running the same pace as the guys in 1st and 2nd, but unfortunately I lost a bunch of time in the first 3 laps after another slow start and trying to make my way past traffic and slower SV guys.

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
Nice one SBK, all good experience eh. Passing is one part of race craft that I definitely need more practice at. I'm already fairly competent in being the one getting passed lol.
Hows the bike going, no issues?
I'll look forward to watching your clip after work.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
Nice one SBK, all good experience eh. Passing is one part of race craft that I definitely need more practice at. I'm already fairly competent in being the one getting passed lol.
Hows the bike going, no issues?
I'll look forward to watching your clip after work.
I don't think I mentioned it here that after I fixed my bike from the crash at the last round, I went to do a track day the following week to make sure everything runs fine before this round. I accomplished 2 things then. First off, I got the Autotuner working and that seemed to solve my overheating problem, as it never overheated despite being about 37-38 degrees and sunny which is about as hot as we get around here. This weekend was cooler so definitely did not have any overheating issues now. The other thing I noticed is my quickshifter was acting up again and intermittently cutting spark or just not working at all. It was very inconsistent. I ordered a new one and got an aRacer since I already have their ECU and autotuner, so I figured it'd be an easy plug and play. Unfortunately I only got it Saturday morning and I installed it in the rain between my practice sessions and the first race. Electronically it was super quick and simple to setup but mechanically a big PITA because it's a bigger diameter and it didn't fit between the shift lever and the frame bracket that the rear sets mount on. So I had to jerry-rig it as best I could with what I had, by using some spacers on the rear sets and on the eyelet end that attached to the shift lever. It doesn't look good and not really a great solution long term in my opinion because now my left side rear set sticks about 12-13 mm farther left, and my OCD does not like asymmetry! lol But it worked good enough to get me through the weekend with no issues.

In my last race, the 2 bolts from the Spark exhaust muffler that hold the little bracket on, somehow came out. I got off the track and noticed my exhaust was just hanging freely! I'm glad I didn't loose it completely during the race or bent the pipe or something. Not sure how far into the race the bolts came out, but glad nothing back happened from it. Hopefully the threads aren't stripped and I can just find a couple of replacement bolts for it.

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
Just enough going on there! Yeah vibration is a bit of an issue on race bikes running at high revs. When i get free time between races I go round with spanners and allen keys checking all my usual suspects for tightness. I did see a muffler come off at the track once, luckily I saw it before I rode over it.

Regarding the quickshifter: I know the clearance issue you speak of. I've just recently fitted rear sets to the new SV and it pained me to have to turn down a couple of 1/4 " ali spacers to push the LH rear set out enough to give me daylight between the gear lever and the height adjustment rod. Still better than 12-13mm! I'm sure you'll come up with a better engineering fix with time. Nothing worse than trying to do stuff at the track between sessions with limited time and a lack of resources. That's one of my pet hates.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Had a pretty decent weekend at Summit Point, despite not getting very good results. The competition was closer and tougher than ever with so many people capable of doing similar lap times. In this race (Moto 3), we had a group of 10 covered by 3.9 seconds at the end, with everyone capable of running very similar lap times, within about a second of each other. Besides the first race, which was in the rain, all my other 3 races were very close like this, and it was tough to pass people when there is a group in front of you running similar pace and everyone trying to make passes on the next guy. Definitely got a lot of practice on passing and getting passed!

At least in the wet race I got 3rd :)....I was running the same pace as the guys in 1st and 2nd, but unfortunately I lost a bunch of time in the first 3 laps after another slow start and trying to make my way past traffic and slower SV guys.

Man, that guy on the slower bike was killing it.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
Man, that guy on the slower bike was killing it.
Yeah I thought he was gonna kill a few of us with some of his passes. There's another race which I haven't uploaded where he was even more aggressive! He almost took me and a couple of other guys out multiple times! 14-year old not scared of anything. Most of us gotta go to work on Monday so we play a lot nicer lol

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
Enjoyed the clip. seems like a pretty cool track, fast and flowing. Was that young guy on a Ninja 300? You were absolutely eating him up in a straight line, seemed more like 250. I do admire their courage and wish I had more of it myself, but not to the point of being dangerous.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Enjoyed the clip. seems like a pretty cool track, fast and flowing. Was that young guy on a Ninja 300? You were absolutely eating him up in a straight line, seemed more like 250. I do admire their courage and wish I had more of it myself, but not to the point of being dangerous.
Yes, a 300.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
This shortened season is coming to an end very soon. This weekend I was at NJMP for the 3rd round there, and 5th round of the season. This was not a typical race weekend at all. The grids in my classes were bigger than ever, mostly filled with really fast kids from 13-17 years old that are either MotoAmerica Jr Cup pros, or will be racing in that series in the near future. I have never been in races with so much talent on the grid. For those that follow MotoAmerica and are familiar with some of the riders, I had the pleasure of gridding up alongside fast kids like Rocco Landers (lap record holder at NJMP for the 400s), Dominic Doyle, Ben Gloddy, Joey Limandri Jr, Liam Grant, Jack Roach and a handful of others that we will probably see in MotoAmerica in the next year or two. In addition to that, we also had about 4-5 fast guys show up with 250 GP bikes, like NSF250s which are typically the best bikes to have for some of the classes I race with, they're just not common.

As such, the results were not very good on paper, but all of us adults that are regulars to this series totally expected that. I told my friends that I normally race with that even a top 10 will be unlikely this weekend, and I was right lol Nevertheless, had a lot of fun on Saturday. The starts were always nerve-wrecking as I'm not used to going into T1 with a group of 15-20 people, most of whom are more aggressive than me and have better starts, but there were no incidents in any of my races besides a couple of guys running off the track and rejoining. Had some fun battles with friends and managed to break my personal best by a whole second, so I was pretty happy about that. Unfortunately I lost out on the NJMP track championship for the Moto 3 class by 1 point! Got 3rd, while the top 2 tied for the win, so we're not sure yet who's going to even get the win. Here's a video from a fun race. The 2nd to last lap is my new PB lap.

Edit: almost forgot...also had the opportunity to finally meet the R3/Ninja 400 legend, Jesse Norton from @Norton-Motorsports.com as he was pitted about 30 feet away with Rocco Landers' crew, so that was pretty cool.

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
Very cool mate to be banging handle bars in such prestigious company. It's good to hear that the young fellas are coming through there. I'll watch your clip tonite after work.
I'd hate for anyone to think I'm good cos I post results where I got first racing against half a dozen local back water yokels! When I go to the National events, which is probably a similar level to what your racing amongst, I get my arse well and truly kicked. 😄
Glad you've had an enjoyable season. Seems you've stayed on the bike pretty well too lol. ;)

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
Very cool mate to be banging handle bars in such prestigious company. It's good to hear that the young fellas are coming through there. I'll watch your clip tonite after work.
I'd hate for anyone to think I'm good cos I post results where I got first racing against half a dozen local back water yokels! When I go to the National events, which is probably a similar level to what your racing amongst, I get my arse well and truly kicked. 😄
Glad you've had an enjoyable season. Seems you've stayed on the bike pretty well too lol. ;)
These kids are a whole different level of fast. I'm competitive among the adults that race in these classes, but when these MotoAmerica kids show up, nobody is even close. For reference, at this track, my best time is 7 seconds off the lap record. I checked the results last year from the races and besides the kid who finished last and was significantly slower than the rest, everyone else was lapping in the 1:30-1:33 range, with the record being 1:29.6. My best is a 1:36.8, but typical pace is in the 1:38s.

I did manage to get a couple of decent launches this time off the line, but I'm not aggressive enough on the brakes going into the first couple of turns and I lose a lot of positions in the first lap. I really need to improve my pace in the first lap. These kids are ruthless though! Most of them had signed up later so they were gridded behind me. It was always nerve-wrecking going into the first couple of turns knowing that there are several kids behind me that are much faster and have no desire to wait any longer to make a pass lol

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
Interesting to see some times these hotshots are pulling. Yes I hate that feeling you describe in a close bunched start scenario.
I had that happen to me last year in a Nationals race when I ever so slightly jumped the start (but got away with it lol) and got probably my best drive off the line ever. I arrived at the first corner with five riders behind me after I had been last on the grid. My euphoria quickly dissipated though as one of the younger guys promptly barged up the inside of me and nearly put me off the edge of the track which allowed another couple of riders to come though as well...
Gotta love racing despite the emotional roller coaster eh.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Edit: almost forgot...also had the opportunity to finally meet the R3/Ninja 400 legend, Jesse Norton from @Norton-Motorsports.com as he was pitted about 30 feet away with Rocco Landers' crew, so that was pretty cool.
Very cool, nice....packed grid.....and I hear you, the kids these days........nuts, almost need thier own grid.......the fast Moto America/super fast grids.....and the rest of us....... but its good......maybe this means its coming soon to have another American on the Moto GP grid that can kick some serious tail :)

This was/is Rocco, right??

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
What a cool track, seems to flow nicely. Good riding, you have good speed against a lot of those bikes like the one with 'ZXR4' on the side of it. Always a nice feeling to better your PB. 👍

121 - 140 of 167 Posts