Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to be able to carry a little more stuff than I can fit in my expandable backpack - not necessarily all the time, but when I want to do small errands.

I considered a tail bag but I can't imagine how I would ever get my leg over the bike with one on.

I'm thinking saddlebags. Has anyone tried these bags - they look like they might look OK on the Z:

Nelson-Rigg Mini Expandable Sport Saddlebag

Hoping to avoid the cost of having to buy any brackets or frame, though I understand sometimes there is a worry that saddlebags bags can fold under the seat and possible contact the rear tire without something keeping them pushed out.

·
Registered
508 Posts
How much storage space are you looking for? A small tail bag is not too high to throw your leg over. You can also get a tank bag if you really can't lift your leg that high. I just really haven't seen any saddle bags made for the Z400.

Reactions: NuggyBuggy

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Crashoverride: You must be taller than me, have longer legs, be more flexible than me, or some combination of the three ! I'm only 5'7, 30" inseam.

Unless I hop on the left peg, I can't see myself swinging my right leg over with even that low of a tail pack - at least without kicking it a lot. I might try strapping some empty boxes on the back just to get an idea of what I can do. Before I bought the Z400 I saw a Triumph Trident 660 that had a tailbag on it. The Trident was basically being trucked from dealer to dealer as a one-day showpiece. Granted the bike is a bit taller, but it was hard to get my leg over. Even the dealer (who was himself a shorter guy) questioned the wisdom of Triumph putting the tailbag on it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How much storage space are you looking for? A small tail bag is not too high to throw your leg over. You can also get a tank bag if you really can't lift your leg that high. I just really haven't seen any saddle bags made for the Z400.
For one, I'd love to be able to throw a laptop in the bag and, say a rainsuit and/or the liner from my jacket. I'd also love to be able to do a small grocery run.

Yesterday I went to Costco with an expandable backpack. I bought a box of 6 frozen soups. 8 chicken breasts, and two bags of frozen fruit. Could only fit the soup and one bag of fruit in the backpack. Fortunately I had some cargo netting with bungees with me - I had to strap the pack of chicken breasts and the second bag of fruit onto the passenger seat. The fruit was resting against my back the whole ride home. That was the moment I decided I needed to carry a little more than my backpack provides for.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I remembered that I have a pic of my former bike, a Ninja 650R, with the saddlebags I mentioned above:

The pic is on the Needles Highway in the Black Hills, South Dakota. The tailbag is a Kiega US-40 combo and the little bag on top contains a bike cover.

And I'm all of 5' 7.5", so I can relate to it being a little awkward to get on and off the bike. But you will want luggage on a trip.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I tried those Nelson Rigg mini expandable saddlebags. Just couldn't get them to fit the way I liked on the 400. They work great on my 650 however. This is what I ended up with on the 400. The Nelson Rigg commuter lite bag. Works for me but you must support the bottom of the bag or it just wraps over the pillion. 🐉

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I tried those Nelson Rigg mini expandable saddlebags. Just couldn't get them to fit the way I liked on the 400.
I ended up buying them to try them out myself before I saw your post. It was pouring rain outside so I couldn't see how they work on the bike. My 13" laptop will only fit if it lies diagonally in the case, which is less than ideal. My Macbook Pro will definitely not fit in. Not necessarily a deal breaker yet, but I'll keep your experience in mind when the weather dries up !

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 400
16 Posts
I'd like to be able to carry a little more stuff than I can fit in my expandable backpack - not necessarily all the time, but when I want to do small errands.

I considered a tail bag but I can't imagine how I would ever get my leg over the bike with one on.

I'm thinking saddlebags. Has anyone tried these bags - they look like they might look OK on the Z:

Hoping to avoid the cost of having to buy any brackets or frame, though I understand sometimes there is a worry that saddlebags bags can fold under the seat and possible contact the rear tire without something keeping them pushed out.
Take a look at these. I love mine

Take a look at these. I love mine

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I tried those Nelson Rigg mini expandable saddlebags. Just couldn't get them to fit the way I liked on the 400.
@Tracy, I fiddled with the bags and didn't like them either. While I also couldn't get them to sit exactly where I wanted - it felt like the attachment straps needed to be a bit longer - what I really didn't like were the foam pads that sit between the bags and the plastics on the bike.

They tended to stick out and away from the bags themselves and made the arrangement look cheap. If not for that, I would probably have found some sort of arrangement I could live with.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
500 Posts
I like those - they are slick. They're a lot more expensive than I was hoping to spend, but maybe I am not being realistic.

I can't seem to find a Canadian distributor for Canadian pricing. Last time I bought something from the US I got killed on brokerage fees and taxes so I am a little gun shy.
It depends what you get but you can have it declared as a gift.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It depends what you get but you can have it declared as a gift.
Before COVID I would sometimes get stuff shipped to a package holding service in Buffalo NY and drive over and save a ton. Sadly that isn’t possible anymore.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I got these bad boys: Amazon.com: OGIO 110093_36 Stealth Saddle Bag Duffel: Automotive. Other than the odd shape (I have to expand them to put in my work laptop) I am happy with them. After 1 intense year of use they show some signs of wear on the bike side wall but nothing that a bit of duct tape can't fix. Here are some pictures with the stock exhaust.

View attachment 17801

View attachment 17802
I bought the Daniese-branded version of this bag to try. I threw it on yesterday, it definitely looks better than the Nelson-Rigg bag did. But jeez it’s awkwarclearing that much extra space width wise.

@Teorist, I see you have the back strap (the one with the Velcro) over the top of the passenger seat. Do you put the front strap just at the back of the rider seat ?

and what do you do with the front counterpart of the buckle straps that go underneath the tail - do you connect it to the passenger peg ?

I would love to see more detail as to how you fasten it.

Finally you mention it is starting to get damaging on the inside facing part of the bag. Do you have a sense as to why , and is there something one could do proactively to prevent damage ?

thanks!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Here is a video that shows how to install them. This was the video that convinced me to buy them and to put them on the bike. If you have any more questions after watching this, let me know but I think that it explains the whole thing in detail:

About the cracks, I guess the main reason is that I use to tighten the **** out of the straps and the edge of the motorcycle sticks into them (this is because I want to avoid the front straps get loose from the passenger peg hooks). Also, the fact that my lazy ass left them for weeks at the time without taking them off did not help. I guess that the main thing that would help, is to install a side rack / support. Otherwise, I guess tightening them less would help. Maybe removing them from the bike when you don't need them.

It is easily fixable with some duct tape, black tape would not be very noticeable. I guess that you can put the tape all over the inside face preemptively. Because these are my first bags, I can only guess.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts