Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice old Triumph cast logo! You should see the new Triumph logo on the headline their classic line!

Anyway, I'm done with my cafe racer phase. I had great time modding my TU250X and sold last spring to hop into naked/streetfighter Z400 :)

CB650R has the best round headlight with radiator shroud. The new R3 is pretty good too but the headlight is something you really like or really hate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I like round headlight so I replaced mine with 7" LED headlight with built-in DRL and turn signals from Amazon.
I'm waiting for the mini windshield ala CB650R/R9T one and it should protect the cables plus blocking a bit of airflow off my chest.

View attachment 12070 View attachment 12071
Any links for the pieces used(headlight, gauge mount, fairings towards the front of tank)? have to do some work to mine and this looks awesome

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is the one I got because it has a bucket and clamps along with it. The diameter of housing bucket and clamps fit no problem.

After removal of my Z400 fairing (headlight and front turn signals), I had to jerry rig the wiring to OEM harness because I didn't want to cut it.
Overall I'm happy with it :)

·
Registered
371 Posts
Nice job! Initially I wanted a naked bike with round headlight. I bought my Z based on specs and reviews alone (I really liked the 400cc 2 cylinder engine). At first I wasn't sure about the looks, but now I grew to like it (like a mom her newborn baby).

What I really like is that you can change the headlight pretty easily and it is not too expensive. My brother was telling me that he saw it somewhere that if the original headlight malfunctions, the replacement is close to 1000$

The only thing about round headlights, is that now I changed my opinion about them a bit: it seems to me that they may be a bit less safe, as you can mistake a motorcycle with a round headlight more easily for a car with a malfunctioning headlight that a motorcycle with a more, I don't know - well, motorcyclish (?) look.

But I still dig the looks of them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’m wondering if you kept the stock gauge cluster or replaced with your own as well, I’m trying to find a bracket for the stock gauges now

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I kept the stock gauge cluster with original bracket and just use small flyscreen to close the visual gap from top headlight to cluster.
Headlight and front turn signal cables came out of stock gauge cluster so I decided to keep it the way it is.

I’m wondering if you kept the stock gauge cluster or replaced with your own as well, I’m trying to find a bracket for the stock gauges now

·
Registered
2020 Z400
7 Posts
This is the one I got because it has a bucket and clamps along with it. The diameter of housing bucket and clamps fit no problem.

After removal of my Z400 fairing (headlight and front turn signals), I had to jerry rig the wiring to OEM harness because I didn't want to cut it.
Overall I'm happy with it :)
Looks AWESOME! Thanks for sharing this. How have the brackets held up?

·
Registered
2 Posts
This looks great man, so much in fact that I bought the same headlight and put it on. Since I am a new rider and haven't really tinkered around with this bike all too much, I was wondering if you could share how you got it all wired?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This looks great man, so much in fact that I bought the same headlight and put it on. Since I am a new rider and haven't really tinkered around with this bike all too much, I was wondering if you could share how you got it all wired?
Because it's aftermarket the connector won't fit OEM connector. I used spare wires and electrical tape to connect them without cutting any OEM harness.
I attached the headlight wiring and my doodle on wiring each wire to original connector wires.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts