Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a good race this last weekend. 30 of us on the grid I am starting 23rd. Race one started by the end of the straight I went from 23rd to 28th. Small bike big rider = slower :) turn 1 a lot of bikes so finding a line with no one in it was hard so drop shoulder lean the bike hard, took the inside line almost hit the back tire of another racer that cut in front to avoid hitting someone else. Made it through the turn without going down. At turn 5 the same rider that I almost hit in turn 1 fishtailed in front of me forcing me off track to avoid hitting him and taking us both out. By the time I got back on the track I was in last place. I pushed hard and by the end of the race I was able to catch and pass 5 riders. I ended up taking 5th out of the 7 racers in my group. Not happy with the results but thats racing. My best lap time 2:24.899, overall time 14:44.105

Race 2 same starting place on the grid, I got a better start I only got passed by a few racers this time before turn 1. Made it through the turn without any issues, this race went better the guy I was coming close to hitting I passed him turn 4 and never seen him again after that everything in the race felt like it was just falling into place, I passed 1, then another, then another. 2nd to last turn I overtook another rider on the outside of the turn forcing him too slow down so he wouldn't hit me. He knew I was coming as he was always turning his head to see where I was. It was the only chance I had to get in front of him before the finish line. Race 2 I ended up in 2nd out of the 7 in my group. My best lap time 2:21.649, overall time 14:19.079

4 of us in turn 4

This is myself and my teammate we are almost same size, they tell us our body position is off but we are the same body position. Sometimes it sucks being big.

My 3rd place finish. Out of the 3 races I have been able to attend I have taken podium in each one.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Looking good!! That Purple really pops on the track..

I want to see the whole race on youtube!! :grin::nerd::grin:

ANY race on a Ninja is worth watching!! :3tens:

Reactions: SDM!

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Good race report bud. Your going well despite a bit of bad luck there eh. Better to leave the track rather than scratch the new paint!

I hate turn one and am always pleased to get through it in one piece. Fortunately with my crazy light body weight Im often first to get there or maybe 2nd.

Are you happy with your suspension set up and handling now?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good race report bud. Your going well despite a bit of bad luck there eh. Better to leave the track rather than scratch the new paint!

I hate turn one and am always pleased to get through it in one piece. Fortunately with my crazy light body weight Im often first to get there or maybe 2nd.

Are you happy with your suspension set up and handling now?
I am happy with it, but I want it checked by another mechanic. The mechanic we use is a tire and suspension guru. However now that I am finding he is giving me wrong info on tire pressure I want to double check my suspension. I will have to pay another shop to check it, and have them teach me how to fine tune it.

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
I am happy with it, but I want it checked by another mechanic. The mechanic we use is a tire and suspension guru. However now that I am finding he is giving me wrong info on tire pressure I want to double check my suspension. I will have to pay another shop to check it, and have them teach me how to fine tune it.
Are you using tyre warmers and if so are you using ones that have a digital temperaure read out that are able to be set to a maximum temperature? 80 degrees is the usual bench mark setting.

This eliminates a lot of variables so that you can plough into the first turn comfortble in the amount of grip you have at hand as long as you have your tyre pressures set to what works for you. Until you have this base point as a reference then your leaving a bit to chance.

Most manufacturers have guide lines on their website for optimum tyre pressures for a specific model of tyre. For example Metzeler recommends hot pressures of 30-35 front and 25-28 rear for the Racetec RR's that I use. Because I live in a cold climate region I typically run at the lower end of the pressure range (30F, 25R) so the carcass of the tyre flexes more and increases heat hence more grip. Also a tyre with less pressure in it sits flatter on the track creating a greater area of contact patch, again more grip.
However I'm thinking that because you are in the Philippines you will need to be running higher pressures.

Apologies if any of this has been like bring told how to suck eggs! :biggrin:

Late edit: I wrote all this waffle before I saw the other 'track pressure' thread Lol.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Kiwi Rider

I do have tire warmers, I had a few cheaper made ones that you cant set the temperatures on, however I contacted TYGA a month ago they finally got theirs in stock so I went ahead and bought them as they have temp controls. Since we have a lot of rain here I figured it would be better to have ones I can change the temps on. They really work good, but I learnt a lesson to always check the mechanic, he left them on 99* I just happened to check and FML he was trying to burn my tires I guess. Not our normal mechanic a rental for the weekend.

About tire pressures I have been trusting what the mechanic in my paddock have been telling me, I think I will have to research or ask the racers on this website. It seems at my track they will lie right to your face. Especially some of the N400 racers.

Tyre Warmers, Lightweight Sports | TYGA-Performance

1 - 6 of 6 Posts