Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started Friday not feeling good about the race coming up. I didn't feel right the bike felt good though. I really think it was mainly being tired. I traveled home Tuesday night, ran around Wednesday getting the bike grafix done, Thursday was busy doing other things. I'm sure it was sleep deprivation. Practice was done I got a really good night sleep and felt great Saturday. Did my best time ever of 2:00. I'm really happy with that. Sunday starts race 3 and 4.

Anyone know of good knee sliders? My alpine stars are almost gone. They sell local brand but they are really thin I don't think they will last 1 full race. Luckily this track is mainly right turns so I'll swap my slider from the left to the right.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Started Friday not feeling good about the race coming up. I didn't feel right the bike felt good though. I really think it was mainly being tired. I traveled home Tuesday night, ran around Wednesday getting the bike grafix done, Thursday was busy doing other things. I'm sure it was sleep deprivation. Practice was done I got a really good night sleep and felt great Saturday. Did my best time ever of 2:00. I'm really happy with that. Sunday starts race 3 and 4.

Anyone know of good knee sliders? My alpine stars are almost gone. They sell local brand but they are really thin I don't think they will last 1 full race. Luckily this track is mainly right turns so I'll swap my slider from the left to the right.
Good start to the weekend mate. I see you are the first Rookie on the sheet and beating some of the LWA and LWB guys too. What does that stand for?
Pretty full grid eh, 31 bikes.

Yeah I know what you mean about not being 100% in the groove. Have suffered the same thing at times. Especially as I have a early morning two hr drive to the track, leaving in the dark some times, you can feel tired by the time you get there!

I have swapped my sliders too as my right one was virginal still. I need to work on my right handers...

All the best for tomorrow :eek:k:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good start to the weekend mate. I see you are the first Rookie on the sheet and beating some of the LWA and LWB guys too. What does that stand for?
Pretty full grid eh, 31 bikes

I have swapped my sliders too as my right one was virginal still. I need to work on my right handers...

All the best for tomorrow :eek:k:
LWA LWB

Light weight A & B depends on your race experience. If I race next year I'll move up to LWB (unless my times are consistent with LWA at the end of my rookie year) then move up to LWA in 2 years.

I'm planning on racing next year I'll just have to see how race season coincides with work schedule.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
LWA LWB

Light weight A & B depends on your race experience. If I race next year I'll move up to LWB (unless my times are consistent with LWA at the end of my rookie year) then move up to LWA in 2 years.

I'm planning on racing next year I'll just have to see how race season coincides with work schedule.
You will be straight into the 'A' class I'm sure!

Here's my tip for today:
Remember it's all about 'stealing meters'. Particularly on the fast parts of the circuit. For example, at end of the main straight the longer you can keep that throttle pinned at top whack the advantage you can gain is huge. So work on pushing your braking point/marker further back in small increments each lap. If you think you may have come in too hot, dont freak out just keep looking through that corner and drop it in as per normal, shifting your weight off the seat and dropping your inside shoulder, and the bike will follow. The trick is to stay composed.

Enough from me, the main thing is to have fun out there! :biggrin:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Round 2 race 3. Before the 2nd lap was over there was a major crash 1 rider down broken foot was the aftermath. Race was restarted I lost my foot peg on lap 3 I don't know how it came off looking at it the bolt hole stripped. I finished race 3 in last place for my group 28th out of 34 riders. You don't know how hard it is too race without having a foot peg on your bike. I ended up putting my foot on the bolt for the shifter pictured below.

Track Marshall found my foot peg and luckily brought it to me. We used a longer bolt with a nut behind and about 1 kilo of thread lock lol. We did the same for the brake side. Better to be safe then sorry.

Race 4 I was determined to put that mishap behind me. My start not the best, still need to practice that! First turn was full of riders and bikes no place to really go, I decided not to push my luck and took a safe slower line,after that I tucked my helmet to the tank and ended up riding my best and fastest race to date. After my crap start I ended up beating my personal best by 2 seconds. I got down to a 1:58.5 had a good battle with one of the rookie lady racers. She is on an R3 weighs about 40 kilos. Unfortunately she wrecked on the last turn coming to the straight.

After it was all said and done I took 2nd place on the podium I'm really happy with that result.

Race 3 results

Race 4 results

Missing foot peg :( Lesson learnt don't buy a cheap rearset. I thought about just going to the paddock but decided a few points is better than 0

This is what I used to finish the race as a foot peg. Picture taken after peg was installed.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
... After it was all said and done I took 2nd place on the podium I'm really happy with that result.
Well done mate! :clap:
You had some bad luck there in race three for sure. Yes I can imagine trying to race with no left hand footpeg and change gears would be awful, and frustrating.
You did the right thing though to finish the race and collect the points.

Sounds like things came together for you in race four though, 2 seconds is huge in racing as you know. A good tussle with another rider is always good fun.

Any thoughts on how the bike was handling etc?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Kiwi Rider

The bike handled great, no complaints about it suspension seems to be set up perfect for me. I need to tweak more power out of it, I'm looking at getting a set of headers M4 exhaust is in my mind at the moment, also a PCV so we can do more tweaking on the dyno. I'm double the size of the other racers so I really have to work at every corner to get far enough ahead as they always catch me on the straight. You can see the size difference.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
@Kiwi Rider

The bike handled great, no complaints about it suspension seems to be set up perfect for me. I need to tweak more power out of it, I'm looking at getting a set of headers M4 exhaust is in my mind at the moment, also a PCV so we can do more tweaking on the dyno. I'm double the size of the other racers so I really have to work at every corner to get far enough ahead as they always catch me on the straight. You can see the size difference.
Lol, your the same height as the guy on the top step :grin:

That's great your happy with your set up, half the battle is won already.
Regarding the power: Have you had your ECU re-flashed yet?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lol, your the same height as the guy on the top step :grin:

That's great your happy with your set up, half the battle is won already.
Regarding the power: Have you had your ECU re-flashed yet?
Yes bro ECU was one of the first things done, in fact it's been flashed 2 times, the first time was with exhaust tip alone, the 2nd was after removing the cat or whatever was in the pipe, and air filter install. Once i get the new exhaust ill have the guy that flashed it meet me there at the dyno. We will tune it, then add the PCV and see if we can eek out an extra pony from it. Every little bit will help me.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You will be straight into the 'A' class I'm sure!

Here's my tip for today:
Remember it's all about 'stealing meters'. Particularly on the fast parts of the circuit. For example, at end of the main straight the longer you can keep that throttle pinned at top whack the advantage you can gain is huge. So work on pushing your braking point/marker further back in small increments each lap. If you think you may have come in too hot, dont freak out just keep looking through that corner and drop it in as per normal, shifting your weight off the seat and dropping your inside shoulder, and the bike will follow. The trick is to stay composed.

Enough from me, the main thing is to have fun out there! :biggrin:
This I am truly working on, I am still learning to trust the tires everytime I go out. I have moved my braking point a few meters closer to the turn, but the faster guys are really late braking. I tried their brake point and scared the cr*p out of myself. The back tire was really moving left and right. I will keep working on it. The one i worked on the most was the long left and right hand sweepers. 5th gear throttle pinned wide open drop in knee down and ride it out. I did feel the back tire slide out a little a few times, but I know it was my poor body positioning. The more I hung off the better the traction was. Body off more equal bike more upright so they tell me lol.

My worst thing is not being able practicing enough. Between family and work "MY" track time is really limited to 1 possibly 2 days every other month to get out to the track. Family first for me if I got to see them everyday things would be different.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
This I am truly working on, I am still learning to trust the tires everytime I go out. I have moved my braking point a few meters closer to the turn, but the faster guys are really late braking. I tried their brake point and scared the cr*p out of myself. The back tire was really moving left and right. I will keep working on it.
With your greater total mass you are always going to need more braking distance than those little jockeys. Ha ha.
Sounds like your on to it though. Doing it smoothly is the key so the bike's suspension doesn't get upset and starts moving around. I've been trying to work on moving my body weight around move smoothly without my butt leaving the seat.
I think my seat base is a little wide for ideal movement, it's an Honda RS250 copy.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
When's Round 3 bud? Or did you miss it with work your commitments?
We're on our winter break for another 2 months yet down here so I have to get my buzz reading about other peoples racing :biggrin:

I'm doing a bit of work on my SV over the off season. Finally got round to fitting a front brake lever guard (you got one of those?) , some new levers adjustable for length, GB racing engine cover protectors and a lithium battery which I should have got a long time ago.
Went for a different brand this time called Ultrabatt. Little bit more expensive than the Shorai but they do a discount for racers.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When's Round 3 bud? Or did you miss it with work your commitments?
We're on our winter break for another 2 months yet down here so I have to get my buzz reading about other peoples racing :biggrin:

I'm doing a bit of work on my SV over the off season. Finally got round to fitting a front brake lever guard (you got one of those?) , some new levers adjustable for length, GB racing engine cover protectors and a lithium battery which I should have got a long time ago.
Went for a different brand this time called Ultrabatt. Little bit more expensive than the Shorai but they do a discount for racers.
Unfortunately I missed round 3. Work work work. They just posted the new points total for round 3 I am currently tied for 1st with a guy that has made all 3 rounds. There is a new racer in the Jr rookie group he just joined round 3 we are doing about same times on the track so it will be an intersting round 4. Again I will get only 1 day of free practice on the track before I have to race. I am taking the wife to Singapore for 2nd honeymoon and get back the day before free practice. Its also rainy season now so lets see how it goes.

I did hear for round 3 there were a lot of accidents, one even ended with a broken pelvic bone. One guy broke the record for Light Weight A class. 2:08 for qualifying (my best time 2:22), he wrecked in race 1 the next day and ended with no points. So round 4 will be really interesting to say the least.

Yes I have front brake guard. Cost me about $75.00 USD for the set but I dont use the clutch side. My bike is done with paint and little brother will be picking it up tomorrow (Sunday) so I will have some pictures of the refreshed 400. I havent looked for a lighter battery yet, I really dont have time to travel around Manila I should say wasting time lol. I will wait for one of the other 400 riders to post if they get one then I will go get one also.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Unfortunately I missed round 3. Work work work. They just posted the new points total for round 3 I am currently tied for 1st with a guy that has made all 3 rounds. There is a new racer in the Jr rookie group he just joined round 3 we are doing about same times on the track so it will be an interesting round 4. Again I will get only 1 day of free practice on the track before I have to race. I am taking the wife to Singapore for 2nd honeymoon and get back the day before free practice. Its also rainy season now so lets see how it goes.

I did hear for round 3 there were a lot of accidents, one even ended with a broken pelvic bone. One guy broke the record for Light Weight A class. 2:08 for qualifying (my best time 2:22), he wrecked in race 1 the next day and ended with no points. So round 4 will be really interesting to say the least.

Yes I have front brake guard. Cost me about $75.00 USD for the set but I dont use the clutch side. My bike is done with paint and little brother will be picking it up tomorrow (Sunday) so I will have some pictures of the refreshed 400. I havent looked for a lighter battery yet, I really dont have time to travel around Manila I should say wasting time lol. I will wait for one of the other 400 riders to post if they get one then I will go get one also.
Sounds like a pretty competitive class, nobodies looking to break bones!

I hear ya with the work thing, prior to swapping jobs I used to have a 50/50 chance of being available for any social or recreational events. I didnt start going to the track until I made that change.
There is a chap in my class faster than me but he missed the last round so I think/hope he may have handed me the championship with that if I continue solidly.

I put the Shorai LFX-12 in my 400:
https://www.ninja400riders.com/forum/125-parts-accessories/951-lithium-battery.html

Emud has this one:
https://www.ninja400riders.com/forum/93-electronics/1881-power-thunder-lithium-battery.html

All the best for the next round.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts