Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've been riding my n400 for the past 3 weeks for my daily commute. Today I decided to ride my other bike (FZ09) and what a difference. I know weight wise that they are different but power is also different. I love riding my FZ because of the power it has and that I currently don't need a faster bike. I do have to admit that right away, I missed the light pull of the clutch in traffic and the weight of n400 was really nice to have during traffic. The power of the FZ wasn't really something I could have used on my current commute since hitting 60mph on the FZ is just quick. Then after hitting the speed limit, I had to slow down which was about 3-5 second of maybe using the power of the bike then slowing down.

Right when I got home, I did the whole MotoGP style of switching bikes. Getting off the FZ and directly getting on the N400 without spending more than 15 seconds in the garage lol :) After my commute, I added another 20 minutes of just riding the n400 with a smile and realizing how much I love my bikes and riding. Sorry for the random post.

Be safe and have fun out there!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Well, I've been riding my n400 for the past 3 weeks for my daily commute. Today I decided to ride my other bike (FZ09) and what a difference. I know weight wise that they are different but power is also different. I love riding my FZ because of the power it has and that I currently don't need a faster bike. I do have to admit that right away, I missed the light pull of the clutch in traffic and the weight of n400 was really nice to have during traffic. The power of the FZ wasn't really something I could have used on my current commute since hitting 60mph on the FZ is just quick. Then after hitting the speed limit, I had to slow down which was about 3-5 second of maybe using the power of the bike then slowing down.

Right when I got home, I did the whole MotoGP style of switching bikes. Getting off the FZ and directly getting on the N400 without spending more than 15 seconds in the garage lol :) After my commute, I added another 20 minutes of just riding the n400 with a smile and realizing how much I love my bikes and riding. Sorry for the random post.

Be safe and have fun out there!
You hit the nail on the head sir, the 400s is light and just right for city commuting... Its great for short commutes between 1 to 60 miles, I cant see going past that cause I'd have no butt left. lol even my CB754 was a pain sit on after 120 miles or more in one stretch.

The 400 makes a really good daily...

·
Registered
764 Posts
yep thats why I purchased one, no point for me purchasing a new panigale as a daily and being to scared to put some miles on it due to resale value lol, I went all out recently and sold my car a few months ago just due to everything being so expensive, I wasnt going to sell until the rego and insurance all came at the same time aka $1700... was also a pain having to pay 80$ a week on fuel so I got rid of it, now 10$ a week on fuel gets me everywhere. recently purchased a sv1000 2005 and I love it but like you said the weight just stops it from being any good for my daily ride to get food ect plus the main reason I got into motorcycles was due to fuel so im happy with the 400, infact so happy im selling the 300 and sv1000 and am going to just purchase a small car for those rainy days lol

·
Registered
178 Posts
I rode my 14R the other day, and immediately determined that it was a POS compared to the 400, for daily riding, lol...

·
Registered
125 Posts
yep thats why I purchased one, no point for me purchasing a new panigale as a daily and being to scared to put some miles on it due to resale value lol, I went all out recently and sold my car a few months ago just due to everything being so expensive, I wasnt going to sell until the rego and insurance all came at the same time aka $1700... was also a pain having to pay 80$ a week on fuel so I got rid of it, now 10$ a week on fuel gets me everywhere. recently purchased a sv1000 2005 and I love it but like you said the weight just stops it from being any good for my daily ride to get food ect plus the main reason I got into motorcycles was due to fuel so im happy with the 400, infact so happy im selling the 300 and sv1000 and am going to just purchase a small car for those rainy days lol
That's pretty well my set up. I use the N400 as my daily commuter, and I've got a Suzuki Swift for the times when I have to go out shopping etc with Mrs Pwalo. of course it helps that my eldest son has a Toyota SR5, and a Mitsi L300 for when a bit of hauling capacity is required :wink:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hate to say it, but I recently bought a Ducati Supersport S, and while it's a great bike, riding back to back, I can't say anything except that my Ninja 300 is the best bike I've got.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Is the 14r more comfortable for long rides?
It could be. They are really couches, if left mostly stock. My gf's is more the street setup....mine is a little more....uh, stout:

Still stock motor, but once you lower it, add a heavy steering damper, etc...it is not quite as civil.

Around town, 400 all day.

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
It could be. They are really couches, if left mostly stock. My gf's is more the street setup....mine is a little more....uh, stout:

Still stock motor, but once you lower it, add a heavy steering damper, etc...it is not quite as civil.

That is one beast of a bike! Impressive top speed, 342kph :eek:
That low seat height would be good for around town though Lol.

·
Registered
141 Posts

Wait what, is that average or top speed? Im gonna be captain obvious and say top? Were you still climbing at the end? Looks badass.

·
Registered
423 Posts

That's a sweet looking bike!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Wait what, is that average or top speed? Im gonna be captain obvious and say top? Were you still climbing at the end? Looks badass.
That's top speed, after 1.5 miles. My gf was riding on that pass, and I didn't have my data logger on it...but it was probably about done accelerating. It has also be 207.42 in the mile, with her on board. These are run from a standing start.

With me at around 255 suited, I have been 206.8 at the 1.5, on it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
So is the 1400 faster than a busa yet? I know when the 1400 came out busa bros were still saying the busa was faster.
The is a Gen 2 14. Gen 1 was 1352cc, these are 1441. Gen 2 Busa is 1340cc.

I had a gen2 busa...and I had it, and my 14R on the dyno a few weeks apart. About 700 miles on the Busa, about 100 on the 14R. Busa had thicker oil, which can account for a few hp. But I consider it a wash, since the Busa was more run in, and had already been to the dragstrip.

Other than the oil, both bikes were bone stock. So, that gives you an idea of the power difference. Don't get me wrong, the Busa is awesome....but the 14R is just that much more powerful.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Today we took out my 300 & 400. I had not ridden the 300 in awhile...it is still bone stock, now with 650 miles on it. I am at around 625 on the 400.

I thought it would be fun to do some roll-ons with my gf on the 300, since that package is around 100 lbs lighter than me on the 400.

Honestly, the 400 just inhales the 300...I gave her the go, so she could jump out....it was pretty easy to reel the 300 in.

Winds were terrible, but it was fun. I then rode the 300...the difference was huge...more than 10 mph less, indicated, compared to her. I can't see a real reason to hang on to the 300. The only thing I see better is that you have more room front-to-back....easier to tuck in. And I love the lime green, lol.

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
Today we took out my 300 & 400. I had not ridden the 300 in awhile...it is still bone stock, now with 650 miles on it. I am at around 625 on the 400.

I thought it would be fun to do some roll-ons with my gf on the 300, since that package is around 100 lbs lighter than me on the 400.

Honestly, the 400 just inhales the 300...I gave her the go, so she could jump out....it was pretty easy to reel the 300 in.

Winds were terrible, but it was fun. I then rode the 300...the difference was huge...more than 10 mph less, indicated, compared to her. I can't see a real reason to hang on to the 300. The only thing I see better is that you have more room front-to-back....easier to tuck in. And I love the lime green, lol.
I like that! Looks like a blast.
If you were to post that on the Ninja 300 forum there would probably be a lynching party waiting on your door step! :D

·
Registered
244 Posts
Lynching

I don't know about lynching party, but they are all most likely salivating over the new Ninja 400 themselves...well, there might be a few that would grab a rope.:grin:

Nice video BTW to show the difference in the two bikes, the 400 is an awesome entry level bike.

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
I don't know about lynching party, but they are all most likely salivating over the new Ninja 400 themselves...well, there might be a few that would grab a rope.:grin:

Nice video BTW to show the difference in the two bikes, the 400 is an awesome entry level bike.
Nah, a lot of them seemed a bit pissed that they went for an all new model rather than improve on the existing 300. Also some concerned about it not fitting into the existing racing classes with the change to 399cc etc etc.
I guess if you have a 300 that you've invested heavily in with aftermarket parts that aren't going to transfer to a new model then you are left a bit high and dry.
My personal opinion: If you cant beat em, join em! :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Nah, a lot of them seemed a bit pissed that they went for an all new model rather than improve on the existing 300. Also some concerned about it not fitting into the existing racing classes with the change to 399cc etc etc.
I guess if you have a 300 that you've invested heavily in with aftermarket parts that aren't going to transfer to a new model then you are left a bit high and dry.
My personal opinion: If you cant beat em, join em! :D
:crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts