Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may sound very stupid but i use an HJC rpha 70 helmet medium sized, which has a very snug fit. This helmet seems practically impossible to come off. On the other hand, the chin straps, even when fastened very loose, always rest against my throat making it very uncomfortable, and me having to adjust it every minute while riding. Wouldn’t it be much safer to simply ride without the chin straps?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Agree with Boat and Teorist - if you don’t use all of the safety components of a helmet, you might as well not have a helmet on at all. If any individual aspect of a helmet doesn’t fit well, the helmet doesn’t fit at all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the chin strap is not comfortable (and very loose is not a good thing), it means the helmet is not right for you. You risk losing the helmet in case of an accident.
I seem to have a problem with the chin strap in most helmets. It always touches my throat which makes me uncomfortable.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Maybe look into a strapless helmet then?
Seriously though proper helmet fit and retention are vital to it doing its job in a crash. I met a young man who was permanently stuck with the mind of a 5 year old after he crashed with a too loose helmet, it came off, and he got a TBI.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'll admit when I'm lazy, I don't tighten the helmet properly. I loop the strap through the 2 D rings, and clip it in. I've actually been in two accidents with the straps fastened like that, and both times the helmet stayed snug and on my head. Even then, it's a case by case thing and I would recommend tightening it down. Moment of laziness/discomfort can mean death or vegetable (which is worse?). If you aren't too strapped for cash, I'd also say get a better fitting helmet.

For the curious:
1) one person who violently lane changed into me when I was next to him. I wasn't even lane splitting. After this, I'm extra sure to accelerate or slow-down so I'm at least a half a car lengths away from another car in the next lane.
2) Some person with a suspended license and no insurance T-boned me. But here's the funny part, this happened on the freeway haha. He was going 80, probably on his phone, didn't notice the dead stop traffic in front of him, locked up his brakes, turned his wheel to full lock, and when it regained traction, sling-shotted him right into lucky me. Also highly recommend uninsured motorists on your insurance, missed out on a payout.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Seriously though proper helmet fit and retention are vital to it doing its job in a crash. I met a young man who was permanently stuck with the mind of a 5 year old after he crashed with a too loose helmet, it came off, and he got a TBI.
I use a full face helmet and it has a very tight fit. It’s quite comfortable once put on, but putting it on and taking it off is a bit of a hurdle, since it’s still new. Hence, i got the feeling that it would be impossible for it come off on its own.

·
Registered
465 Posts
In SC there is no helmet law so about 75% of riders are wearing no helmet. I go without my helmet often but I ride differently than if I'm wearing a helmet. So when riding with no chin strap just be extremely cautious and don't take unnecessary chances.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I use a full face helmet and it has a very tight fit. It’s quite comfortable once put on, but putting it on and taking it off is a bit of a hurdle, since it’s still new. Hence, i got the feeling that it would be impossible for it come off on its own.
You’d be surprised at the forces involved in an accident. Don’t lull yourself into a false sense of security! This is serious business and none of us want you to become a statistic.

It took me three helmets before I found one that fit me “right”. It’s not just size but shape that matters.

I’m not sure why your chin strap is digging into your throat - perhaps a picture good help us identify some suggestions? The strap should just lay flat against it, not tight or digging into you.

What brands have you tried so far?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You’d be surprised at the forces involved in an accident. Don’t lull yourself into a false sense of security! This is serious business and none of us want you to become a statistic.

It took me three helmets before I found one that fit me “right”. It’s not just size but shape that matters.

I’m not sure why your chin strap is digging into your throat - perhaps a picture good help us identify some suggestions? The strap should just lay flat against it, not tight or digging into you.

What brands have you tried so far?
I’m actually on my second helmet. The previous one i had was a kabuto aeroblade V. I had a noise problem with my previous helmet on highways. My new one does a better job at reducing wind noise. Since i have just recently changed my helmet, and it wasn’t really a small financial move, I’ll be using this for quite a long while. Will have to adjust and make do with the chin strap. Maybe it will grow on me overtime? And also, really appreciate you and everyone else taking the time out and providing me with some insight.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
In SC there is no helmet law so about 75% of riders are wearing no helmet. I go without my helmet often but I ride differently than if I'm wearing a helmet. So when riding with no chin strap just be extremely cautious and don't take unnecessary chances.
This is a little off topic, but I've noticed a slow but steady increase in helmet wearing over the years in North Dakota (where I lived until somewhat recently). I've been suspecting that the straightforward way that the basic rider course is presented there (facts, not scare tactics--anyone else remember being shown counterproductively laughable films with names like "Blood on the Road" or "Reefer Madness" in high school?), and perhaps that some of the older Harley guys having friends with brain injuries or who died, might have something to do with it.

My personal get-off involved landing face down on the pavement and then sliding the top of my head into a curb. I showed my scratched up modular to the impressionable kids in my life, didn't dramatize it, and that might have contributed to their willingness to wear helmets in powersports. Funny bit--the youngest felt the deep gouges in my visor and immediately put her hand to her face, she didn't say anything but the contrast between the hard visor and her soft face was making an impression based on how she held her eyes.

On topic, @FarhatAli_98 please keep trying helmets to find the right one for you.

·
Registered
537 Posts
As others have mentioned. The chin strap is essential for safety. If it doesn't fit you well, it means your helmet doesn't fit you well as it's designed with the chin strap in mind. Look for a new helmet.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Dude, just watch some “Dan the fireman” on youtube. He has videos of boots flying off. Yeah, a full length moto boot. Whats the most important part of your body? STRAP some protection on it. Now if we see you with only a “rubber” on while riding, we understand. If you cant imagine it, it will happen.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm very intrigued on how your chin-strap looks... I believe that's how helmets are supposed to fit, sort of a tiny b*tch to slide off/on, but relatively comfy once on. Another idea is to get the strap altered to make it a tad longer. Just do a good job on the alteration regardless if DIY, or if taking it to a shop to do.

Reactions: Baxter

·
Registered
422 Posts
Years ago a guy I knew had a low speed crash with a car pulling out of a driveway. He flew over the hood of the car and hit the ground then bounce off the payment. As he was coming down again his helmet flew off his head. The reason, he didn't strap his chin-strap. He ended up with TBI. BTW, he had a happy go lucky type personality. He doesn't now!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Years ago a guy I knew had a low speed crash with a car pulling out of a driveway. He flew over the hood of the car and hit the ground then bounce off the payment. As he was coming down again his helmet flew off his head. The reason, he didn't strap his chin-strap. He ended up with TBI. BTW, he had a happy go lucky type personality. He doesn't now!
We are doing an extremely dangerous sport/hobby, a little insurance goes a long way. That's why I invested in riding gear as well. A couple hundred for gloves, riding shoes, jacket, and jeans is def worth it. Unless you like sheared skin, flesh, and bones. Ideally you never use them, but if/when you do, you'll thank yourself. Otherwise, a rider has no right to complain/whine if they opted not to.

Big advocate to be safe, but also know that people will ultimately do what they want. You're an adult, know the risks you are taking, and if you choose to do so, that's on you. But everyone with some sense, will urge you to err on the side of caution.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I seem to have a problem with the chin strap in most helmets. It always touches my throat which makes me uncomfortable.
Just out of curiosity, did you have a formal helmet fitting at a gear shop with lots of different helmet options (and someone who was knowledgeable)? I am fortunate to have a very good motorcycle shop near where I live and they helped get the right helmet with the right inserts. The helmet fits my head perfectly, and is very comfortable, even after long rides.

In the words of my MSF instructor, If your chin strap isn't fastened, then you are wearing a very expensive hat.

·
Registered
75 Posts
@lazyeye that's a pretty cool helmet concept. Thanks for sharing!

It looks like they are not commercial just yet. I don't see any distributors or accredited safety ratings just yet.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts