Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I'm picking up a 400 tomorrow. I live in London, Ontario. I'd say winters can get pretty extreme (sometimes as low as -35 at surface level).

I have underground parking. I'm not sure what temperature the garage averages during winter (maybe -15?). Do you think, rather than winterizing the 400, it'd be safe to ride it around underground about 4 times a week so I can practice my slow skills? Or... would that be super bad for the engine and I should just winterize it.

Let me know what you think.

Best

·
Registered
744 Posts
I'm trying to get a mental picture of the size of your underground parking. If it is a totally enclosed and small area then be cautious of deadly CO emissions.

Winterizing is only necessary if you won't be running the bike at all. Or if the fuel sits in the tank for over a month (gasoline degrades rapidly). If you won't be burning the fuel in those 5 months be sure to add fuel stabilizer (I use Sta-bil from Canadian Tire, just add 44.2 mL of Sta-bil to treat a full 14 L tank of gas). With the colder temps, a partially filled or low level fuel tank will promote condensation buildup, water in the tank is no good. So try to keep the tank full of fuel during winter.

Reactions: JFMNINJA400

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm trying to get a mental picture of the size of your underground parking. If it is a totally enclosed and small area then be cautious of deadly CO emissions.

Winterizing is only necessary if you won't be running the bike at all. Or if the fuel sits in the tank for over a month (gasoline degrades rapidly). If you won't be burning the fuel in those 5 months be sure to add fuel stabilizer (I use Sta-bil from Canadian Tire, just add 44.2 mL of Sta-bil to treat a full 14 L tank of gas). With the colder temps, a partially filled or low level fuel tank will promote condensation buildup, water in the tank is no good. So try to keep the tank full of fuel during winter.
So the Underground parking is pretty big. I live in an apartment building and there's definitely no problem with CO2 buildup. You think that if I routinely keep the gas tank full and drive around 3-4 times a week I'll be good?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Sure, knock yerself out! BTW did you buy it from a dealer? Cause there are zero 400's from my local dealer. Did you get frame sliders?

·
Registered
840 Posts
You might want to consider winterizing your bike and plugging it into a trickle charger like a Battery Tender. This will require an electric outlet, which is probably not available. Assuming the Canadian power grid is the same as the US, this little gadget could power a trickle charger (between it's own need for charging in your unit), and also has other handy features: https://www.amazon.com/STANLEY-FATMAX-PPRH7DS-Professional-Station/dp/B01DLYQ4DS/ref=sr_1_15?dchild=1&keywords=portable+jump+starter+with+air+compressor&qid=1602445926&sr=8-15

Ft. Nine has an easy winterization plan that would be convenient to go riding whenever possible:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sure, knock yerself out! BTW did you buy it from a dealer? Cause there are zero 400's from my local dealer. Did you get frame sliders?
I'm actually negotiating with a private seller still: its $5000 for a 2018 model with 2000km on it and ABS and it has the TST integrated tail light/tail tidy, yes - frame sliders, black windscreen. You think 5000 is too much for it? Not sure if I should wait for a better deal in dead of winter/early spring.

·
Registered
744 Posts
As it stands, I think it is quite high, even for its low mileage. I'd go for 4000 to 4300 tops. Keep in mind, you gotta deal with 2 main defects with the 2018-19 models. So be prepared to fix the junk clutch and replace the rubbish cylinder coolant o-ring seal with Norton parts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As it stands, I think it is quite high, even for its low mileage. I'd go for 4000 to 4300 tops. Keep in mind, you gotta deal with 2 main defects with the 2018-19 models. So be prepared to fix the junk clutch and replace the rubbish cylinder coolant o-ring seal with Norton parts.
I really appreciate the feedback. I knew about the clutch problem but not the o-ring seal problem. I know the former was almost fixed in the 2020 and beyond models... but what about the latter?

Also, my dad said the same thing LOL. Looks like I'll be on the hunt for other deals.

·
Registered
744 Posts
To my knowledge, Kawasaki has not redesigned the o-ring yet, if ever, because the parts fiche hasn't changed. Jesse Norton described the seal as too high than it is wide, so it will deform over time. Most members here and myself started to see seepage after 6000 km, or earlier with the track bikes. Some had it repaired under warranty and one member got it fixed for free out of warranty. There's a few threads here regarding this. I'll fix mine next year though.

These issues aren't a problem if you're willing to tinker with the bike. And with the fixes, the bike is solid.

My buddy, is looking to get a 400 also. But, he's not really into tinkering, so I told him to get an SV650, that would save the headache and the $.

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
My buddy, is looking to get a 400 also. But, he's not really into tinkering, so I told him to get an SV650, that would save the headache and the $.
Great advice! Ha ha. It is true though that Suzuki have been fettling that same 645cc motor over three generations since 1999 and it's completely sorted. It's supposed to be a street bike/sports tourer/woteva but I see the guys at the track (inc yours truly) thrashing the bejesus outta them and they just soak it up. Perfect.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Dunno noth'in 'bout bike values in Canada, butt back to the original question, is it safe to ride in -15 parking garage? Is that -15 f or c? I used to commute in temps down to 18F, (Though not on the Z400.) and it's doable, the bike will be fine, butt you may freeze yer asss off! :LOL:
Just be mindful of black ice; where cars come in, they'll track water which can then freeze. Maybe snow can blow in, melt, then re-freeze causing slickness?
Do "figure 8s" so you get used to turning/leaning both ways. I used to do figure 8s in a warm, dry parking lot, 'n it's good practice. (y)

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
If you lived in my area, I know of a 2018 Ninja 400, black, ABS, 4800 miles, ridden by a female friend of mine, never dropped, well maintained, clean title, all stock
$3,200 takes it home.

·
Registered
RX135 RD350 ZX12R VFR800 999 YZ250 SXV550 GSA1200 EXC500 RD400 FE390 Tiger800 R6 390 N400
19 Posts
You'd be hard pressed to find a Ninja 400 below the mid 4000s in pretty much all of Ontario. I had to drive 4 hours each way to the middle of nowhere to find a low mileage '18 for what I consider a great deal around here. The bike has a cracked left main fairing because of a tip over due to a storm but whatever. Also its red for crying out loud but again whatever. She's being turned into a track only bike so don't care.

Re riding in -15, sure you can do it no issues there. You'd be cold, your tires will be hard so I'd be extra careful.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You'd be hard pressed to find a Ninja 400 below the mid 4000s in pretty much all of Ontario. I had to drive 4 hours each way to the middle of nowhere to find a low mileage '18 for what I consider a great deal around here. The bike has a cracked left main fairing because of a tip over due to a storm but whatever. Also its red for crying out loud but again whatever. She's being turned into a track only bike so don't care.

Re riding in -15, sure you can do it no issues there. You'd be cold, your tires will be hard so I'd be extra careful.
Thanks for the info! Yeah honestly I feel like this is as good of a deal I'll find. What do u think about waiting till spring? Not sure if I should buy now or wait

·
Registered
RX135 RD350 ZX12R VFR800 999 YZ250 SXV550 GSA1200 EXC500 RD400 FE390 Tiger800 R6 390 N400
19 Posts
Well weigh it out this way, unless you have a pressing need and can't find a deal at a price you want, buy in the spring. The prices will likely be higher then because its start of riding season instead of end. You can either shell out for the bike, Ontario tax, registration, insurance and literally park her for 6 months or wait till spring and ride immediately. Figure the cost difference on both sides of the equation and decide what makes sense for you. I'd still keep looking through the winter for a great deal to pop up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts