Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

· Registered
2022 Z400ABS
66 Posts
Hi everyone

I wanted to see if there were other riders like me that are tall and heavy that can ride a 400? I am 6'2" 330 pounds. A lot of people say move up a size to like a 650 but I am new to motorcycles and want something smaller to learn on and then move up. Is a 400 going to be good for me to learn on and ride?

Thank you so much
If I was you I would definitely consider the 650 over the 400——-I wish I did. I sold my 400 (at a loss) and now own a N650. The 650 is more comfortable, has more torque in the lower and mid range (which will be a benefit for you), and has better brakes. I feel it to be almost just as nimble than the 400, but also feels more planted, and maybe even safer. It’s has a very controllable and predictable power, and of course will only go as fast as you twist the throttle. It’s a great first bike.

· Registered
3,073 Posts
If I was you I would definitely consider the 650 over the 400——-I wish I did. I sold my 400 (at a loss) and now own a N650. The 650 is more comfortable, has more torque in the lower and mid range (which will be a benefit for you), and has better brakes. I feel it to be almost just as nimble than the 400, but also feels more planted, and maybe even safer. It’s has a very controllable and predictable power, and of course will only go as fast as you twist the throttle. It’s a great first bike.
I spent some time on a coupla different N650's this past summer. A '21 and a '14. I agree with everything you say about them.BUT I still like the nimbleness of the 400 🐉.Just me..

· Registered
2,444 Posts
I had an '08 Ninja 650R. It was heavier than the present Ninja 650 and I've liked the nimbleness of the Ninja 400 in comparison. But I'm thinking that the newer 650s would be close to the 400s. And for a larger scaled rider, maybe the 650 would be a better choice because ergonomics are a significant part of the ride.

· Registered
39 Posts
Hi everyone

I wanted to see if there were other riders like me that are tall and heavy that can ride a 400? I am 6'2" 330 pounds. A lot of people say move up a size to like a 650 but I am new to motorcycles and want something smaller to learn on and then move up. Is a 400 going to be good for me to learn on and ride?

Thank you so much
I've ridden both (400 & 650) and, as a beginner, I would vote for the 400. The 650 is a LOT more power, perhaps too much for a beginner. In my case (5'8", 150lb) , I stayed with the 400.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts