Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I wanted to see if there were other riders like me that are tall and heavy that can ride a 400? I am 6'2" 330 pounds. A lot of people say move up a size to like a 650 but I am new to motorcycles and want something smaller to learn on and then move up. Is a 400 going to be good for me to learn on and ride?

Thank you so much

· Registered
541 Posts
My 2 cents since I've owned both (2017 650 and 2018 400). The 400 should be okay, but you might end up wanting a bit more power. The slightly more powerful 650 (about 40lb heavier bike fyi) might be perfect for you but the suspension was soft as a donkeys anus. It was way too soft for me and I only weighed 145 when I owned it. With either bike, you'll probably want to upgrade the suspension to something more stiff.
I think you'd be okay with either as a starter bike, just be smooth and progressive with your learning curve. Be responsible and do not get egged on by other riders and drivers. I've had a friend or two eat it trying to keep-up or try to pass cars at terrible times (even though we had a detailed pre-ride meeting and took turns).
Just two notes regarding that since I see it too much
1) Keeping-up: if you're trying to close the distance on the straightaway, be aware that you'll need a lot more braking time to make the same corner at the same pace as the guy you're trying to catch (who is probably faster, so you'll have to slow down even more and earlier than they did).
2) Passing: DO NOT pass right before a turn unless you are 100% confident in your ability to make the oncoming turn. When you overtake someone right before a turn, it drastically sharpens the angle you need to make the turn. I see this happen to both new and more experienced riders. Additionally, you shouldn't be doing this often in public roads. Be patient when you're riding or you will eventually end up injuring yourself and maybe others.
Video explaining #1 - 8min mark, which the video should start at

· Registered
541 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: JFMNINJA400

· Registered
83 Posts
Hi everyone

I wanted to see if there were other riders like me that are tall and heavy that can ride a 400? I am 6'2" 330 pounds. A lot of people say move up a size to like a 650 but I am new to motorcycles and want something smaller to learn on and then move up. Is a 400 going to be good for me to learn on and ride?

Thank you so much
I'm only 5'8" but weighed 300 lbs when i bought my N400 last May, i had no problems. i've since lost weight, i'm about 226 lbs now and have a way to go yet. even though i was ok riding at 300 it does feel better riding my bike now that i'm lighter, my gut isn't squashing the tank so much (y)

· Registered
2,444 Posts
When I was in school you could take shop where you learned to make brass knuckles or billy clubs, home ecc which only two guys took, both grew up to be liberal politicians, or agg when you learned to breed farm animals.

:)
When I was in high school, a guy in the metals class made a working handgun for his project with the teacher's knowledge and approval. Afterwards, the school district thought better of it and that became off limits. That was back when the HS also had a smoking hall for students. :LOL:

· Registered
2,422 Posts
When I was in high school, a guy in the metals class made a working handgun for his project with the teacher's knowledge and approval. Afterwards, the school district thought better of it and that became off limits. That was back when the HS also had a smoking hall for students. :LOL:
We had a smoking pin outside the cafeteria but only guys were allowed to smoke. :)

· Registered
2,444 Posts
There were times that I would have a hunting rifle laying on the back seat parked at school. It was no big deal. And we all smoked.:cool:
A bro-n-law who grew up in Montana said they used to do that also. It would get a lockdown most places today.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts