Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thats why I can't wait for more advanced riding tech as it will help us ride like hoons without as much concern for whats on the road.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thats why I can't wait for more advanced riding tech as it will help us ride like hoons without as much concern for whats on the road.
I mean I don't think there's any tech to be made that will make other drivers on the road better. I guess since things are shifting towards autonomous driving that perhaps sensors on cars will be more aware of a bikes presence on the road. I suppose its only a matter of time until we see futuristic protection suits.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
I mean I don't think there's any tech to be made that will make other drivers on the road better. I guess since things are shifting towards autonomous driving that perhaps sensors on cars will be more aware of a bikes presence on the road. I suppose its only a matter of time until we see futuristic protection suits.
The 'air bag' suits are a good idea and are being used in racing situations already but it's the old story - riders still have to wear them. A lot of riders now, esp in hot climate zones dont wear extra protective clothing on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One big problem with a lot of riders is the fact they feel too confident in their abilities that it discounts them buying products like this. Instead what we see more of is what they can't do without according to the law.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yeah its still crazy to me that there are states that don't even require the use of helmets. And I mean being confident is fine, but you have little control over who else is on the road. I guess the main problem is trying to find safety gear that has found the correct balance between comfort, protection and styling.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Yeah its still crazy to me that there are states that don't even require the use of helmets. And I mean being confident is fine, but you have little control over who else is on the road. I guess the main problem is trying to find safety gear that has found the correct balance between comfort, protection and styling.
Price too, there are many pieces of gear that I really like and are great products but the price is way to steep.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I wonder with the way cars are going with autonomous systems, if we will see some of variation of those safety systems come to bikes. I mean I know obviously it would be limited just due to the lack of space, but some form of collision detection could certainly be useful. If anything, I think we'll see the release of "smart" helmets to aid in rider safety.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There are already a good array of next generation helmets, that are meant to increase overall safety and awareness for riders. Some are still in crowd funding campaigns and available for preorder. Some models such as the Livemap are pretty pricey however, starting at around $2k. After the scandal following the Skully helmets, I hope someone is able to deliver a reputable product.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
It would be good if one day cars were all fitted with a motorcycle detection system. Bikes could be fitted with a transponder and when a car detected a motorcycle in its vicinity a low level alarm/flashing light was activated that alerted the driver to keep an eye out for hard to see motorcyclists.
I can see various issues with it already but just a thought..

·
Registered
172 Posts
We'll soon enough a good majority of cars will come standard with autonomous driving systems, whether or not those systems will be able to accommodate smaller vehicles such as bikes weaving through traffic remains to be seen. It's not a bad idea placing a transponder on bikes, especially if it increases drive awareness.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm personally grateful for improvements made to motorcycle in the last few decades. The ABS is one of them. Then there are better radial tyres, better fully adjustable suspensions, traction control, ride by wire, slipper assist clutch, riding wears with better protection etc. These and others have made riding safe an easier proposition. I'm certain that engineers will continue to strive for safer riding.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Best rider protection is to always be aware of what's around you and ride defensively. Of course tech improvements over the years has helped and I'm forever grateful to have ABS on bikes after sliding a bit on a wet road.

·
Registered
440 Posts
There really should be no choice to be made.. it seems quite obvious.. least in controlled stops.

Reactions: Blaze412

·
Registered
59 Posts
here is a cool demo of new tech, who knows if it will catch on, or even be useful …..but engineers are thinking

1 - 14 of 14 Posts