Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello to all of the Ninja400 Riders!!

Short introduction-I'm new to this forum and to the N400 itself. I currently own a ZX10R, and just sold my N300 not too long ago. Just picked up a N400 sometime last week, and have put on about 350 miles on it. Well, I took the bike out today again and wanted to test the top speed of the bike. It wasn't what I was hoping for: at full throttle, the rpm needle stopped at around 11K. I don't recall my old N300 and my ZX10R having this issue. You can easily go beyond to the red margins. Am I missing something here that the bike needed to go back to the dealership for the 600 miles service to remove that limiter? I hope this is not just it until one flash the stock ECU. Being a residence of CA might be hard to find a place to do that as well. Well, please help to share your comments for those who has owned the bike longer. Thank you!!

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
Were you in top gear? If you were then you basically ran out of HP's to push the bike all the way to redline. This is determined by all sorts of factors like winds, gradients and rider weight to a lesser extent.

But at the end of the day if you want to see redline in top gear then you may need to change your gearing by droping one tooth on the front sprocket or adding two to the rear. You may need a longer chain to do the latter option.

You may find as your bores loosen up a bit with more miles on the engine it gets quicker.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First of all, I wanted to ask you this; does yours go beyond the redline digits although EMUDSHIT have answered the concern base on his experience of the bike.

To answer your question, now that you asked, I'm not 100% sure that I was at the top gear, but I'm confidence enough to say that I was because I was going fast during that point to test it out. I'm just curious because it just doesn't seen to be normal. I met a friend who owns a Triumph; he told me that when first bought his bike, they did put a limiter on his. After the 600 miles services, they have to go into the stock ecu to remove it. A friend who also owns a BMW HP4 had to go through the same route to get his removed too. On a smaller cc engine bike, I'm doubted that it is the case since you and other didn't mention about it.

About the gearing change-I like it the way it is. First gear is not too short as the N300-I found it useless most of the times. I even went on to purchase a size difference sprocket on the rear to make it taller, but noticed that I was sacrificing speed at the top end-not my style of riding, so I end up placed it back the way it was.

I hope to gain more top end speed as miles build up on the bike as what you and emudshit had stated. However, even if it doesn't on mine, at least I know that other options are available. Thanks anyways....

·
Registered
295 Posts
At 350 miles trying redline it could be asking for big problems ,because engine tight and not yet broke,
if you own a ZX10you should know this,.my brother has had two new triumphs hes never had a limiter on those
and on first service they did not take any limiter off,
he,s read your post and is mystified,

though we might do things a lot different over here in UK

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stikflote, thanks for commenting on my concern. Yes. I’m aware of the fact that at 350 miles the engine is still under the broke in process, and I should not had pushed it to such high level of speed; however, I’m only speaking on my behalf of owning two new Kawasaki bikes in the past and not speaking to anyone else that it is okay to do it; it’s okay as long as you are not intending to keep it at that constant speed.

About the Triumph limiter being removed, I’m only taking the words from a Triumph owner. It was his claim when I spoke to him about my bike situation. Thanks!!

·
Registered
351 Posts
I've been slamming into the Rev limiter, about 12.5k rpms since 300 miles rolled over on my ODO. The needle actually illuminates red when it goes into the red area on the tach, nice touch from Kawasaki.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Kiwi is accurate nothing is wrong with the bike you just don't have enough HP to overcome drag the number one enemy of motorcycles. Add horsepower, lose weight, or reduce drag.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts