Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

Restricted 650 question

6K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  sbk1198 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I'm just learning to ride and was intending to buy a Ninja 400 as it seemed the perfect beginner bike (and much more for later).

I just called the Kawasaki dealer here in Switzerland and I hear that it is now no longer available because of some emissions standards concerns.

The dealer is therefore pushing new riders to 650cc bikes, but restricted to 35Kw (47Hp I think). FYI here we are restrcited to that limit for the first two years.

I just wondered what people thought of that ; seems like a restricted 650 would be a heavier and less fun machine.

I'm therefore wondering if I should consider another bike altogether (suggestions if so please).

I'm learning on a Duke 390, which I like and is fun, but really don't like on the freeway.

Thanks for any input.

#9 · (Edited)
Depends on the make and model. We have a raft of restricted 650/660's down here in Australasia due to similar learner license laws.
Some (like the Suzuki SV) are purely restricted by retarding the fuel and ignition maps so easily converted with an ECU flash but some have mechanical restrictions in the throttle bodies or a mix of the two.
My latest SV race bike was actually a restricted model when I bought it new and we took it from 39 RWHP to 72 without laying a spanner on it. At 100% throttle the ECU was only delivering 48%. Wouldn't even pull the ton lol.

But yes, the 650’s are a lot heavier bike so if you can’t get a N400 then I’d go with the KTM 390 myself.

#11 ·
I would highly recommend z400 over the 650 class bikes (Kawi at least). I've owned a 2017 Ninja 650 and it was a great bike for touring purposes, but a disaster when riding it hard. When you're taking a corner and a penny on the ground makes your rear jump like those youngins at a music festival, you get scurred. I owned mine for less than a year before ditching it for the n400.
The power difference wasn't thaat noticeable either, and the top speeds are similar IIRC. I think there's a big weight difference as well (40 lbs I think? - getting old)

#13 ·
Weird that the 400 doesn't meet the emission requirements in Switzerland...don't all European countries follow the EURO4 standard or 5...whichever they're on now. Either way, I thought they all follow the same standard, so if it's good in Germany, France, etc. shouldn't it be fine in Switzerland too?

But if you can't get a 400 and the next option you have is a restricted 650, I would do that. The nice thing about it is you can "fix" that pretty easily and have a regular unrestricted 650 in no time ;)

#14 ·
Weird that the 400 doesn't meet the emission requirements in Switzerland...don't all European countries follow the EURO4 standard or 5...whichever they're on now. Either way, I thought they all follow the same standard, so if it's good in Germany, France, etc. shouldn't it be fine in Switzerland too?

But if you can't get a 400 and the next option you have is a restricted 650, I would do that. The nice thing about it is you can "fix" that pretty easily and have a regular unrestricted 650 in no time ;)
Hi,
I live in Switzerland, but it will be a European wide issue going forward, so yes we all use the same norms.

As for unrestricting the 650, yes I would like to .. but actually I heard that these days it's not so straightforward, at least compared to earlier bikes.

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.