Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just some details before I carry on with the question. My mechanic overfilled my bike's engine oil by almost a litre (near 3l), so when returned home from the workshop, I drained that almost 1l out of the engine and placed it in an empty new shampoo bottle.

So the question now is, should I drain some of my current EO (changed at 3000km+-, and now at 5500km+-), and filled it with the EO I've drained earlier, probably delay the next EO change to 7500km+-?

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
So correct me if I have this wrong...you changed the oil at 3K and drained off the excess then and put it aside. Your currently at 5.5 K and looking to do your next full change at 7.5 K?
But your wondering about bleeding off some of your oil now and topping up with the stuff you put aside, right?

If that's the case then I would just hang on to that oil until the 7.5k change and use it as part of your fresh oil. Also if your mechanic is so incompetent that he overfilled your bike so much then I would be looking at doing the oil change yourself.
Buy two 1 litre packs of oil and use the other stuff you have for the rest and any left over for top up between changes.

4.5K is a good oil change interval for a bike running in your hot climate. You are talking kilometers here yes?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks @Kiwi Rider for the response.

Yeap, you got most of it correct. I'd like to try doing it myself, hence the idea of reusing the EO set aside. I guess buying 1 more bottle of Motul 5100 (current eo) isn't that bad.

I wanted to change EO because I already bought half a dozen full synth Eni 10w50 engine oil, kinda can't wait to try it out. But your advice seems quite financially efficient.

And yes, kilometres. ?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Hey guys, just some details before I carry on with the question. My mechanic overfilled my bike's engine oil by almost a litre (near 3l), so when returned home from the workshop, I drained that almost 1l out of the engine and placed it in an empty new shampoo bottle.

So the question now is, should I drain some of my current EO (changed at 3000km+-, and now at 5500km+-), and filled it with the EO I've drained earlier, probably delay the next EO change to 7500km+-?
lol you did the oil change yourself and realized later you put to much in dint you... No shame in admitting you messed up my good man, we will still like ya. Soooo...?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I wouldn't re-use it but that's just me, because I'm anal about it (it'll be fine). You sure it was too high? Did you run the bike hot, shut it off, let it cool for about 5 minutes then check it? 1L seems like a lot to overfill.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol you did the oil change yourself and realized later you put to much in dint you... No shame in admitting you messed up my good man, we will still like ya. Soooo...?
I'll take a photo of the receipt to proof myself. ?

I wouldn't re-use it but that's just me, because I'm anal about it (it'll be fine). You sure it was too high? Did you run the bike hot, shut it off, let it cool for about 5 minutes then check it? 1L seems like a lot to overfill.
No, I was beside the mech when he did it. He took out 3 bottles of it, pour all of them in, blabbered about moar engine oil = good, despite I told him about the manual's recommendation. The oil level window was filled to brim. So i got back, bleed out almost a litre, and the level dipped to half at least. And the bleeded EO was used only for around less than 30km

·
Registered
656 Posts
Here it is, says there 3 quantity. ��

Now I can't issue myself a receipt, can I? ��
Hey... I was just giving you a hard time for fun man.... take a chill pill.

Seriously man, when you are on a public forum ---> you should never let people push your buttons so you feel you have to prove anything - and you need to learn when some one is joking with you....

Now I'm being serious, take that photo of your receipt off of the forums asap... and blur out the name if you want to re-post it, never put real world information on forums like your full name, address or other personal private info - never ever put real information like that on the web for everyone to see.

Also: the date on that receipt is wrong. More oil is not good for your bike they just made more profit off you. Question ---> Do you know how to properly check your oil level...???? The extra oil that was in your motor can be used to top off your oil level until your next oil change then recycle it. I agree with Omega and would not use it on the next oil change.

Sorry I got you flustered my good man..

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Mr Mike no no, it's alright. I did get flustered earlier, but re-reading your comments, I then understand it was meant to be like a poking joke. No worries. ?

Also, thanks for the advice, I'll try to take it down when possible. Not sure if it's doable on my phone for now.

And I do know how to check, it should be within the min and max at least of the oil level window, if I'm right. I did think of using it as a top up, but the engine oil doesn't seem to fall of that much in this short distance so far (duh), so I was thinking of alternative uses.

Again, thanks for the advice and being honest, and again, no worries, was my bad. ?

Edit: I deleted the whole comment instead, since it's such a less hassle.

·
Registered
744 Posts
@Reeza, unreal, the mechanic who changed your oil.

I got a funny story,

Currently, my bike is in repairs, can't ride it, waiting for a water seal. On the first visit to the stealership, I told them to fix it under warranty. I told them where the problem is (quite obvious) and even showed them pictures of the coolant leak. Upon inspection, they told me the leaking coolant is coming from the overflow tube, when clearly it is coming from the weep hole of the water pump. They denied it, cleaned the bike up and sent me the regular flat rate or 1 hour labor of $100.00, covered under warranty of course. At this point, I could not believe the incompetence. The next day, I called them saying the bike's not fixed (still leaking coolant), and that I would look elsewhere for service. They immediately told me that they will order the water seal from Kawasaki, to get it fixed. And I said, "OK I'll wait for the part". So, here I am patiently waiting for the part to arrive.

Can you see the pattern here? Stealership is milking Kawasaki of warranty claims. That's another $100 of drinking money from my next service visit. Oh yeah, bloody crooks want your bike to break so they can get them *****'s. Bollock's, MF's that's 3 weeks of no riding for me! SOB!!!

·
Registered
656 Posts
@Reeza, unreal, the mechanic who changed your oil.

I got a funny story,

Currently, my bike is in repairs, can't ride it, waiting for a water seal. On the first visit to the stealership, I told them to fix it under warranty. I told them where the problem is (quite obvious) and even showed them pictures of the coolant leak. Upon inspection, they told me the leaking coolant is coming from the overflow tube, when clearly it is coming from the weep hole of the water pump. They denied it, cleaned the bike up and sent me the regular flat rate or 1 hour labor of $100.00, covered under warranty of course. At this point, I could not believe the incompetence. The next day, I called them saying the bike's not fixed (still leaking coolant), and that I would look elsewhere for service. They immediately told me that they will order the water seal from Kawasaki, to get it fixed. And I said, "OK I'll wait for the part". So, here I am patiently waiting for the part to arrive.

Can you see the pattern here? Stealership is milking Kawasaki of warranty claims. That's another $100 of drinking money from my next service visit. Oh yeah, bloody crooks want your bike to break so they can get them *****'s. Bollock's, MF's that's 3 weeks of no riding for me! SOB!!!
Id call the kawi hot line - not that your call will matter but if there are a number of calls on that dealer they will look into it... Id also tell the dealer I want the previous charges 100.00 reversed do to their own negligent's which only cost us the consumer more in the long run... Or i'd take it to another dealer. just cause I don't have to pay the 100.00 doesn't make it ok.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Id call the kawi hot line - not that your call will matter but if there are a number of calls on that dealer they will look into it... Id also tell the dealer I want the previous charges 100.00 reversed do to their own negligent's which only cost us the consumer more in the long run... Or i'd take it to another dealer. just cause I don't have to pay the 100.00 doesn't make it ok.
Absolutely, if i had to pay for that, I guarantee $hit will hit the fan.

I only go there cause well, they're real close from where I live. But, I will give them the benefit of the doubt, they were swamped with customers, especially now that it's riding season.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
..I got a funny story,

Ok, that seemed more messed up. So far I have no problems with my bike, thank God. But I'm not sure if I should do my other servicing like replacing spark plugs, air filter, coolant, etc, somewhere else instead of my dealer's workshop.

They told me there's 1 year warranty, but seeing they even got my EO capacity wrong, I can't really anyhow trust them anymore. :'(

·
Registered
744 Posts
Ok, that seemed more messed up. So far I have no problems with my bike, thank God. But I'm not sure if I should do my other servicing like replacing spark plugs, air filter, coolant, etc, somewhere else instead of my dealer's workshop.

They told me there's 1 year warranty, but seeing they even got my EO capacity wrong, I can't really anyhow trust them anymore. :'(
From my understanding, the shop must be an 'authorized' Kawasaki dealer for you to claim warranty. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah, if you're even remotely mechanically inclined, I would suggest you perform your own repairs/maintenance, outside of warranty of course.

·
Registered
656 Posts

Are you saying the place you bought your bike - is the same place that changed the oil putting three qrts in. take your receipt & manual and go talk to the manager of the store, that tech may be in training and screwing up everyones bike.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are you saying the place you bought your bike - is the same place that changed the oil putting three qrts in. take your receipt & manual and go talk to the manager of the store, that tech may be in training and screwing up everyones bike.
That does sound quite a good idea. Thought I'd just leave it and avoid it, but other riders might be affected.. probably gonna talk to the manager when on the 10000km service.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Follow up:

Decided to straight away changed to full-synth and changed oil filter too, by myself. Now I have a bottle of used EO that's just collecting dust on the shelf, hahaha.

I welcome alternative usage suggestions though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts