Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a bike off the auction thinking I could replace just the forks and get a bike up and running. However, I'm having difficulty removing the front tire and I was wondering if I'm doing something wrong or if there is any advice? The axle/bolt that holds the tire in place just won't budge or come out. I've tried tapping it with a sand hammer and it still won't come out. Any ideas why? I'll provide photos so hopefully that will help.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle White
Tire Wheel Crankset Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle frame
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle brake
Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Motorcycle
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
2021 Ninja 400, 1998 Honda VTR1000 SuperHawk
897 Posts
What kind of front wheel stand is that? Where does it attach to the bike to raise the front end up like that?
Label on it says Extreme Max. It's a PitBull knockoff that utilizes a pin to lift the front of the bike via the bottom of the triple tree bike frame.

Doesn't matter the brand as long as it works safely to hold the bike up as you're working on it. 👍

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So here's an update. I was able to remove the forks and thus get the tire out. The axle that was hold the tire in place was slightly bent inward. Thankfully when I ordered parts I got that just in case. However, I'm running into a new issue. When I install the new forks the triple tree head doesn't line properly. For example if I were to install the left fork then the right fork won't be able to go through the upper tree head. It can go through the lower but its not straight. I'll provide some picutres too. Any advice/recommendations/thoughts?

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle brake
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting Automotive exterior
Light Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive lighting
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motorcycle Motor vehicle Vehicle

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
You may have to replace the triple tree if it is bent. The kind of damage shown in the pictures will cause a misalignment of the triple tree collars.

Good luck. 🤞🙏👍

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was worried about that. Then I've got a few questions to follow up. Is there any troubleshooting I could do to determine if it is the upper or lower triple treehead? I've also got the lower triple tree head for the ninja(ex) variant, would that work with the z400?

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
I was worried about that. Then I've got a few questions to follow up. Is there any troubleshooting I could do to determine if it is the upper or lower triple treehead? I've also got the lower triple tree head for the ninja(ex) variant, would that work with the z400?
Yes it will work but the handle bars are different between the two.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes it will work but the handle bars are different between the two.
Yea I'm aware of that. Before I go ahead and buy the upper triple tree head how do I know which part is causing the misalignment? Is there anything I can do or is this a case where the entire system just needs to be replaced.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Yea I'm aware of that. Before I go ahead and buy the upper triple tree head how do I know which part is causing the misalignment? Is there anything I can do or is this a case where the entire system just needs to be replaced.
If I was there with you analyzing the fork we could probably figure it out and make an educated decision. 🤷

I'd have to see it to make any assessment.
So that being said I'd be checking eBay for the upper and lower triple tree and just replace it for the sake of knowing it'll be right.

Maybe someone else here can help and good luck. 🤞

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If I was there with you analyzing the fork we could probably figure it out and make an educated decision. 🤷

I'd have to see it to make any assessment.
So that being said I'd be checking eBay for the upper and lower triple tree and just replace it for the sake of knowing it'll be right.

Maybe someone else here can help and good luck. 🤞
yea thats unfortunate. I'm looking for the upper part but not finding any used parts. I will have to fully remove and disconnect the wiring too which sounds like a pain. I appreciate your help!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts