Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a bit of tech advice. :rolleyes: I want to remove the cover from the sprocket on transmission. I cleaned the chain and there is a lot of residual liquid gunk. It looks like three bolts hold it on with the lower one a bit hard to get to. Do I need to remove the shifting linkage? I just want to clean it up under that cover.
Thanks in advance for the help.
RK

·
Registered
737 Posts
Or you could get a differential attachment to your socket and wrench set. I have a Husky attachment set which includes the differential. Works great for hard to reach fasteners.

Reactions: Roadking100

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
You wanta remove the 10mm bolt on the shift shaft, 'n slide it off, then remove the bolts for the cover. Ya might wanta mark it 1st, so when you put it back on, you get the splines lined up correctly.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I’ve removed and replaced the countershaft sprocket cover a couple of times. It will slip past the linkage without disconnecting anything if you move the shift lever. If I remember correctly I shifted it up and held it there while I moved the cover past it. If you position the cover right it will slip into place, you won’t have to force anything.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’ve removed and replaced the countershaft sprocket cover a couple of times. It will slip past the linkage without disconnecting anything if you move the shift lever. If I remember correctly I shifted it up and held it there while I moved the cover past it. If you position the cover right it will slip into place, you won’t have to force anything.
Thanks for the response. So DO I need to disconnect the shift linkage or just hold the shifter up? I am mot quite sure what you mean.

·
Registered
121 Posts
So DO I need to disconnect the shift linkage or just hold the shifter up?
I did not have to disconnect the linkage to remove or replace the cover. I just shifted it (up if memory serves) and held it there while I took the cover off.

Give it a try. If it doesn’t work because of the shifter adjustment, it’s easy enough to disconnect it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts