Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

· Registered
119 Posts
Yeah I'm thinking the same Steve. I'm going to need some new rubber in the spring (your fall) and I keep coming back to the old adage 'if it aint broke then dont try and change it'. I've had no issues with the GPR's other than wearing maybe a little quicker than expected and the rear not liking my track antics Lol.

Ha ha, yeah I was being this guy: :devil:
Ya the more I think about it the stock tires are good and the extra money could be used for fuel or a couple road side meals:wink:

· Registered
146 Posts
I watched this video a little while ago. They provide a pretty good review of several tires for small sport bikes with track or aggressive riding in mind, but specifically Not a mileage review.

I just mounted a set of Michelin Street Radial in stock sizes. As stated in the above review, they are NOT track oriented, as the name specifies. They are good for commuting and some spirited riding. I have been running them for about 1K miles and do not see any wear on them as of yet. They feel good and stable when commuting, but are not as grippy when pushing on the mountain roads. They are grippy enough for me to both commute and have fun on the weekends.

As a comparison, I got 9k out of the stock rear tire before the center was worn out from commuting. I got 18k out of the stock front when the the center tread cuts were almost completely worn out.

I'll update when I have more miles on the new Michelins.

· Registered
6,292 Posts
I watched this video a little while ago. They provide a pretty good review of several tires for small sport bikes with track or aggressive riding in mind, but specifically Not a mileage review.

I just mounted a set of Michelin Street Radial in stock sizes. As stated in the above review, they are NOT track oriented, as the name specifies. They are good for commuting and some spirited riding. I have been running them for about 1K miles and do not see any wear on them as of yet. They feel good and stable when commuting, but are not as grippy when pushing on the mountain roads. They are grippy enough for me to both commute and have fun on the weekends.

As a comparison, I got 9k out of the stock rear tire before the center was worn out from commuting. I got 18k out of the stock front when the the center tread cuts were almost completely worn out.

That video is four years old now so tyre models have changed for some of the manufacturers represented.

Regarding the Michelin Pilot Street radials: I had these on my CBR and found them to be an economical tyre that wore very well (better than expected) and I was surprised at the level of grip they provided. I did two track days on them with no dramas.

· Registered
141 Posts
I dont think they have the angel gt 2 in n400 tire sizes yet? Might just replace with stock rubber but i really like the idea of the center of the tire being a different compound. I live in florida and most of my riding is upright. The stock rubber is cupping on my rear tire at 3500mi.

· Registered
403 Posts
I dont think they have the angel gt 2 in n400 tire sizes yet? Might just replace with stock rubber but i really like the idea of the center of the tire being a different compound. I live in florida and most of my riding is upright. The stock rubber is cupping on my rear tire at 3500mi.
for that matter i did not see the Angel GT in the same specs as well. not many reviews on the gt2 as yet but it seems to be `1 up on the GT and a much better one at that.
anybody who s tried the 160/60 (rear) and can comment on the handling (straight line, braking, flickability in corners etc)?

· Registered
265 Posts
for that matter i did not see the Angel GT in the same specs as well. not many reviews on the gt2 as yet but it seems to be `1 up on the GT and a much better one at that.
anybody who s tried the 160/60 (rear) and can comment on the handling (straight line, braking, flickability in corners etc)?
I've run seven sets of Angel GT's on my Ninja 1000 and have been considering running the Angel's on my N 400. While researching the new tires I kept coming across comments that the new GT 2's are being manufactured in China, and found this:

https://www.motorauthority.com/news...wned-chemchina-pininfarina-may-go-to-mahindra

I'm switching to Dunlop...

· Registered
141 Posts
I've run seven sets of Angel GT's on my Ninja 1000 and have been considering running the Angel's on my N 400. While researching the new tires I kept coming across comments that the new GT 2's are being manufactured in China, and found this:

https://www.motorauthority.com/news...wned-chemchina-pininfarina-may-go-to-mahindra

Well the question is, are they still good? This did not happen yesterday. That article is from... 2015? 2016? Regardless, that does worry me. China, disney, google, and amazon own way too much in this world >.<

· Registered
265 Posts
Well the question is, are they still good? This did not happen yesterday. That article is from... 2015? 2016? Regardless, that does worry me. China, disney, google, and amazon own way too much in this world >.<

Yes, they are still good and my last sets have been made in Germany.

I spend over $600 a year on bike tires. That is way more than I want to send the Chinese government for my hobby.

· Registered
710 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHnmukUJ7aQ

9 and 18k, kilometeres or miles?

· Registered
403 Posts

for a min i was almost convinced on the Angel GT as the next tire until i read that link.
Michelin Pilot Road 5 then maybe. :surprise:

· Registered
141 Posts

for a min i was almost convinced on the Angel GT as the next tire until i read that link.
Michelin Pilot Road 5 then maybe.
I just want something compareable to the angel gt, i like the idea of 2 compounds and the middle being a harder compound cause i do alot of upright riding, any other tire outside of the angel gt do that?

· Registered
74 Posts
dual compound tires are pretty common in the larger sizes...but much harder to find (impossible?) in our stock sizes. I ride a Ninja 300 with 110 and 140 tires. My OEM tires were total crap (IRC Roadwinners) and I replaced them with the Dunlops that come on the 400. Huge improvement over my factory tires. Ride, handling, grip..all improved.

· Registered
2,018 Posts
I am going to get metzler sportec m7 rrs because I have them on my other bike and they offer good feedback and even wear. The stock tires are absolutely fine and I ride them very hard, I would not be averse to getting the same tires that came on the bike (GPR300) if I was trying to save a little money
I have ran these on my SV and even did some track time on a set.
I always liked them and were my go to tires.

I probably will run a set of these on the 400.
The stock Dunlops, not sure if its the tires themselves and there potential prior life/treatment to my ownership but hard or quick dives into a corner while rolling onto it seems like I am feeling a little greasyness/slippage out back.

Sucks about Pirelli, wonder what will become of the Supercorsa's?

Cheaply made Chinese trash with little to no quality control?....this is the biggest thing that is killing Chinese made stuff. Compared to US, Germany, Italy made products they have no regulations or negative recourse so materials used and quality control is whatever they feel like.

· Registered
403 Posts
Cheaply made Chinese trash with little to no quality control?....
not for everything though right. goes both ways with china made stuff.
i have a Fuji Tahoe (frame made in china) and it is top notch. as is the high end Li Ning racquet that i bought.

dont know about how the GT series will be now though.

· Registered
777 Posts
im running a bridgestone think its the s22 forgot since bike is now sold and it was a 160 and i loved it, no problems in corners ect

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Man was I wrong about needing new tires lol. 3 months later my tires are still good at 9k miles. I actually decided to order the stock tires again and I have them already ready when I need them on.

How many miles did you guys have your stock tires last?

· Registered
6,292 Posts
Man was I wrong about needing new tires lol. 3 months later my tires are still good at 9k miles. I actually decided to order the stock tires again and I have them already ready when I need them on.

How many miles did you guys have your stock tires last?
I'm sitting on 5,200miles and it looks like the rear will be good for 6K miles only. Front still good, wont change it yet.
You have done well to get 9K miles out of yours. Riding styles and type of riding makes a huge difference so theres no real easy answer when people ask 'How long should I expect from the stock tyres'.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts