Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, it’s time for me to pull the trigger on a new set of tires just so I have them ready before I start to see wire. I’m at 7k miles and honestly they might have a thousand miles left for all I know, but rather be safe than sorry and order them in.

I don’t do track days so I need to just get a good street tire. Should
I just order the stock tires again, or do you have have another recommendation? Thanks for any help!

Reactions: TaiMc

· Registered
1,181 Posts
Wow you got 7/k from the original Dunlop’s that came with the bike? That’s outstanding. I have heard that the Dunlop 300gpr is a fairly decent tire for street riding. I went with a set of Michelin RS for track riding. For just street riding the Michelin Pilot Power 2ct is a very good tire. Awesome in the cold and wet and in the twisties. They may cost more than the Dunlop 300gpr but more on the performance side.

· Registered
710 Posts
Wow you got 7/k from the original Dunlop’s that came with the bike? That’s outstanding. I have heard that the Dunlop 300gpr is a fairly decent tire for street riding. I went with a set of Michelin RS for track riding. For just street riding the Michelin Pilot Power 2ct is a very good tire. Awesome in the cold and wet and in the twisties. They may cost more than the Dunlop 300gpr but more on the performance side.

I am standing at 6650 km's with the bike and the rubber is starting to get dry, that is actually my main problem with tires in general.

Some days when the bike is standing at the garage i forget to cover the tires, so the sun is stocking them all day.

If I hate something about motorcycle is dealing with tires, espically where I live when where its hot and sunny almost all year around, pain in the arse...

· Registered
926 Posts
I'll trade you hot and sunny for cold and miserable! :grin:

Sunlight, UV is the bane of rubber, kevlar, anodizing on aluminum, paint etc. If I lived in your climate, I would get a motorcycle cover. One that is breathable and UV protected.

· Registered
710 Posts
I'll trade you hot and sunny for cold and miserable! :grin:

Sunlight, UV is the bane of rubber, kevlar, anodizing on aluminum, paint etc. If I lived in your climate, I would get a motorcycle cover. One that is breathable and UV protected.

I do have a cover, It's a CoverMax one and I bought it like 2 years ago for my first bike which was a 125. It covers the 400 pretty good as they are kinda the same size, but it doesn't cover the tires very much, gets about to the swingarm and I tie it there. Usually while it's in my house, my open garage, I stick a piece of carton on both wheels and let the cats sit on it. :wink:

· Registered
926 Posts
Who trusts these stock tyres to knee drag with?

· Registered
403 Posts
Pirelli Angel GT or Michelin Pilot Road 4.
both are wonderful tires from what i have been hearing. grippy and stable at high speed.

I'm at 12.5k on the original supplied tyres and there's still plenty of tread on them
you ve been riding on air cushions or how?

Who trusts these stock tyres to knee drag with?
not sure but i lean to a decent degree and feel confident with them. dont seem to slip out from under me but then i am not very well versed with super grippy tires and the difference they make.
Still, i find the stock ones to be decent wrt grip.

· Registered
462 Posts

· Registered
265 Posts
+1 on the GT tires.

I run them on my 1000cc and they do great. Hard center softer sides.
I've run seven sets of Angle GT's on my Ninja 1000, I've tried others, but keep coming back.

They offer 150/70 ZR17 or 160/60 ZR17 for the rear instead of the OEM 150/60 ZR17.
They have 120/60 ZR17 or 120/70 ZR17 for the front instead of the OEM 110/70 ZR17.

Not perfect matches, but close. What combo would you guys choose?

· Registered
6,292 Posts
I've run seven sets of Angle GT's on my Ninja 1000, I've tried others, but keep coming back.

They offer 150/70 ZR17 or 160/60 ZR17 for the rear instead of the OEM 150/60 ZR17.
They have 120/60 ZR17 or 120/70 ZR17 for the front instead of the OEM 110/70 ZR17.

Not perfect matches, but close. What combo would you guys choose?
120/60 and 160/60. Both are one oversize but keeps profiles the same.
Changing profiles can create various issues. I once went to a 70 because I got a really good deal on it. But... there wasn't enough clearance on the front fender so I ended up slotting out the mount holes in the fender with a hand file so I could raise it up enough to fit the wheel in. Far from ideal.
At the rear if you go to a 70 you change your gearing ratio. It makes the gearing 'taller'.

· Registered
403 Posts
120/60 and 160/60. Both are one oversize but keeps profiles the same.
Changing profiles can create various issues. I once went to a 70 because I got a really good deal on it. But... there wasn't enough clearance on the front fender so I ended up slotting out the mount holes in the fender with a hand file so I could raise it up enough to fit the wheel in. Far from ideal.
At the rear if you go to a 70 you change your gearing ratio. It makes the gearing 'taller'.
front is 110/70 OEM. wont 120/60 have a different aspect ratio?
or did you mean the sidewall height being almost the same (OEM - 110*0.7 as against the 120*0.6.. 77 vs 72)?

also, isnt goign with wider tire not recommended.. more contact patch but changes the handling characteristics (this is theoretical of course. been there done that would be much more accurate though).

· Registered
6,292 Posts
front is 110/70 OEM. wont 120/60 have a different aspect ratio?
or did you mean the sidewall height being almost the same (OEM - 110*0.7 as against the 120*0.6.. 77 vs 72)?

also, isnt goign with wider tire not recommended.. more contact patch but changes the handling characteristics (this is theoretical of course. been there done that would be much more accurate though).
Your right, my bad (2nd this week!) OEM front is 110/70.
Yeah in theory wider tyres slow down the handling. Ease of tip in etc. I know some of the racers like SDM have found going down to a 140 width sharpens up the track handling.
But in a road riding situation where a 150 isn't available I wouldn't have too many qualms about trying out a 160.
Plus fatter looks cooler right? Ha ha.

· Registered
119 Posts
Hey guys, it’s time for me to pull the trigger on a new set of tires just so I have them ready before I start to see wire. I’m at 7k miles and honestly they might have a thousand miles left for all I know, but rather be safe than sorry and order them in.

I don’t do track days so I need to just get a good street tire. Should
I just order the stock tires again, or do you have have another recommendation? Thanks for any help!
I am going to get metzler sportec m7 rrs because I have them on my other bike and they offer good feedback and even wear. The stock tires are absolutely fine and I ride them very hard, I would not be averse to getting the same tires that came on the bike (GPR300) if I was trying to save a little money

· Registered
403 Posts
Your right, my bad (2nd this week!) OEM front is 110/70.
Yeah in theory wider tyres slow down the handling. Ease of tip in etc. I know some of the racers like SDM have found going down to a 140 width sharpens up the track handling.
But in a road riding situation where a 150 isn't available I wouldn't have too many qualms about trying out a 160.
Plus fatter looks cooler right? Ha ha.
so 120/70 in the Anget GT would be the choice if at all.
lol, the whole "fatter looks cooler" is on the same lines as the "get the ZX 6R and not the 400" thing. :grin:

· Registered
6,292 Posts
I am going to get metzler sportec m7 rrs because I have them on my other bike and they offer good feedback and even wear. The stock tires are absolutely fine and I ride them very hard, I would not be averse to getting the same tires that came on the bike (GPR300) if I was trying to save a little money
Yeah I'm thinking the same Steve. I'm going to need some new rubber in the spring (your fall) and I keep coming back to the old adage 'if it aint broke then dont try and change it'. I've had no issues with the GPR's other than wearing maybe a little quicker than expected and the rear not liking my track antics Lol.

so 120/70 in the Anget GT would be the choice if at all.
lol, the whole "fatter looks cooler" is on the same lines as the "get the ZX 6R and not the 400" thing. :grin:
Ha ha, yeah I was being this guy: :devil:

1 - 20 of 62 Posts