Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't yet have the bike, but will be buying one for use on track exclusively. My coach suggested Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa, but I'd like a stickier tyre. If the sizes were 110/140, I know what tyres I should get. But the rear tyre of Ninja 400 is larger, and my favourite tyre isn't available in this larger size. I'm not looking for stickiest tyres, but rather slicks that is stickier than the Diablo Supercorsa yet wear reasonable well on track.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Local tyres dealer recommends irc iz003 110/70-17, 140/70-17. He says that the rear wheel rim width is 4.0", and 140/70 is a better choice. My CBR 3000R is shod with these tyres, and I'm very OK with them. Dear Kiwi Rider, what is your take?

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
Local tyres dealer recommends irc iz003 110/70-17, 140/70-17. He says that the rear wheel rim width is 4.0", and 140/70 is a better choice. My CBR 3000R is shod with these tyres, and I'm very OK with them. Dear Kiwi Rider, what is your take?

Sorry, this is a tyre I'm not familiar with, I dont think it is for sale outside of S.E. Asia.
Regarding widths: Yes I think the 140 section rear would provide quicker fall in than the 150 and would suit the 4" inch rear rim well.
Kawasaki have probably only gone to a 150 for styling purposes. For racing purposes a 140 would be fine if not a better option.

·
Registered
38 Posts
For my other bigger racing bikes I've always used Pirelli SC SP V2 (with heaters, never in wet) and lately the Metzeler M7 RR - in my mind the best two tires out there, just utterly magnificent.

For my 400 I've ordered the Bridgestone Battlax RS10 front (110/70/17 H) and rear (150/60/17 H). Same tires Ari used on his RC 390, comes in the right sizes and are made for smaller capacity bikes (H). I have yet to try them on the track, will report in my thread!

·
Registered
458 Posts
I don't yet have the bike, but will be buying one for use on track exclusively. My coach suggested Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa, but I'd like a stickier tyre. If the sizes were 110/140, I know what tyres I should get. But the rear tyre of Ninja 400 is larger, and my favourite tyre isn't available in this larger size. I'm not looking for stickiest tyres, but rather slicks that is stickier than the Diablo Supercorsa yet wear reasonable well on track.
As for race tires I only have tried Diablo S/C's as they are whats mainly available here without ordering in tires <-- EXPENSIVE! I dont have any issues with grip at all. I did quite a few boot edge scraping on the ground turns the tires never let loose. I had 26 PSI with warmers on.

Currently I am using my old tires off my N300 110/140, but before the next race ill get a new set of 110/150's. My suggestion if you like the tire you get in the 140 size why not use it?

·
Registered
20 Posts
For the street and track days the new Dunlop q3+ is an impressive tire. I ran a set at jennings on a cbr500 and had I not known what the tire was I would've thought it was a race compound. I think pressure wise I ran around 29 front and 28 rear hot as a ballpark. I'd have to check my notes. My buddy later raced that same bike at daytona and was quite impressed as well. During the 25minute race he said towards the end they started to get a littleeee greasy but was still quite predictable.

For racing - Pirelli Supercorsa sc1 front and sc1/sc2 rear (depending track conditions) is top of the line
I personally have always ran the 110 front 150 rear setup on my ninja 300, never id like the 140 however everyones preference is different. I know a very fast guy who likes a 120 front and 140 rear. He swaps back and forth to his zx6r and zx10r and says it helps make the bikes feel more similar. I think the majority of people like the 110/140 setup though

Pressure on the SC1 front I typically ran 31 front and 24-26 rear hot

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As for race tires I only have tried Diablo S/C's as they are whats mainly available here without ordering in tires <-- EXPENSIVE! I dont have any issues with grip at all. I did quite a few boot edge scraping on the ground turns the tires never let loose. I had 26 PSI with warmers on.

Currently I am using my old tires off my N300 110/140, but before the next race ill get a new set of 110/150's. My suggestion if you like the tire you get in the 140 size why not use it?
I did get the Diablo Supercorsa SC, and has no regret. They grip better than the IRC Z003 that I have on my CBR 300R.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I put the 150 size tire on the 400 and can't stand the feel of it. All the other racers are using the 140. I'll be going back to the 140 size tire today. I'll keep the 150 for track days and use the 140 for racing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I put the 150 size tire on the 400 and can't stand the feel of it. All the other racers are using the 140. I'll be going back to the 140 size tire today. I'll keep the 150 for track days and use the 140 for racing.
Interesting, could you please elaborate? :nerd: What is it that you can't stand, how's the feel, what feel are you looking for? Also, what's the difference between track days and racing, just timing and places or?

I usually go up a notch on the back tire (if possible), obviously rider preference. For the N400 I'll be running a 150 in the back. I have yet to try them since I've only picked up the bike and the first track day is 27/5.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Interesting, could you please elaborate? :nerd: What is it that you can't stand, how's the feel, what feel are you looking for? Also, what's the difference between track days and racing, just timing and places or?

I usually go up a notch on the back tire (if possible), obviously rider preference. For the N400 I'll be running a 150 in the back. I have yet to try them since I've only picked up the bike and the first track day is 27/5.
I couldn't stand the feel of the bike going into turns, there are only a few turns that you have to brake really hard for the rest are let off the throttle for a second and drop in the turn. When I would drop in the bike felt like it didn't want to do what I was telling it to do.

Maybe it's because I'm new to the race scene I really don't know. I do know that the bike felt so much better on the 140 tire.

On my track days I don't push as hard as I do on my race day. We get 30 minutes sessions I stay out enough to do 8 or 9 laps. The race is only 7 laps, so I make sure my stamina is enough to do the 7 plus a few more. Plus it saves my tires I can't afford new tires every race.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I couldn't stand the feel of the bike going into turns, there are only a few turns that you have to brake really hard for the rest are let off the throttle for a second and drop in the turn. When I would drop in the bike felt like it didn't want to do what I was telling it to do.

Maybe it's because I'm new to the race scene I really don't know. I do know that the bike felt so much better on the 140 tire.

On my track days I don't push as hard as I do on my race day. We get 30 minutes sessions I stay out enough to do 8 or 9 laps. The race is only 7 laps, so I make sure my stamina is enough to do the 7 plus a few more. Plus it saves my tires I can't afford new tires every race.
Thank you for taking the time to reply!

I can't wait to try my RS10's (110+150), which will be a first time for me with Bridgestones and their compound. Also, after reading your other thread on tires, I immediately ordered a 140/70 for the back to try that one as well.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Thank you for taking the time to reply!
Your more than welcome

I can't wait to try my RS10's (110+150), which will be a first time for me with Bridgestones and their compound. Also, after reading your other thread on tires, I immediately ordered a 140/70 for the back to try that one as well.
Your lucky you get to try a different brand of tires. I am racing in the Pirelli Jr rookie cup this came straight out of the rule book

"- Of course, since this is a PIRELLI event all participants are REQUIRED to use Pirelli tires only.

- For Junior Rookie Cup, here are the models allowed in the series: Diablo Supercorsa SC1 front & SC2 rear, Diablo Rosso II/III
- All these are available in our shop & in our booth at the track on race day. Tires during the race should be purchased from us. Racers who did not purchase their tires from us will be automatically disqualified".

When I bought my tires they took the serial numbers from the tires.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I bought a pair of Dunlop slicks last weekend, 120 front, 165 rear, only got a couple laps on them (clutch issues), but so far I like, very stable on edge. Will be interesting to see how well they wear vs. SC1's and 2's, which only lasted a weekend and a track day. . .

·
Registered
264 Posts
Your more than welcome

Your lucky you get to try a different brand of tires. I am racing in the Pirelli Jr rookie cup this came straight out of the rule book

"- Of course, since this is a PIRELLI event all participants are REQUIRED to use Pirelli tires only.

• For Junior Rookie Cup, here are the models allowed in the series: Diablo Supercorsa SC1 front & SC2 rear, Diablo Rosso II/III
  • All these are available in our shop & in our booth at the track on race day. Tires during the race should be purchased from us. Racers who did not purchase their tires from us will be automatically disqualified".
When I bought my tires they took the serial numbers from the tires.
I know this is an old post but man, sounds harsh. Guess you better bring big money to race there. I suppose they don't want disputes on who, what and why that rider won or lost.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I know this is an old post but man, sounds harsh. Guess you better bring big money to race there. I suppose they don't want disputes on who, what and why that rider won or lost.
That's standard procedure in every pro race series that has a 1-tire manufacturer rule. It's the same here in MotoAmerica with Dunlop. They all get the tires at the track from the one and only supplier. They record serial numbers and how many everyone uses. Prices are not bad though...I think they might be a bit cheaper than if you were to get them from some other dealer/shop that stocks them. Although with some pro series they provide special tires that are not off-the-shelf and can't get them anywhere else, after which they take those tires back.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts