Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

Rearsets

51K views 92 replies 32 participants last post by  yunsteve2 
#1 ·
Thought I'd start a thread for this aftermarket product now after seeing these ones on the Ninja 400 club Thailand facebook page.
I'm guessing they are locally made and not available outside of Thailand but thought they looked quite good.
I'm expecting I will add some to my bike when they become available from aftermarket parts manufacturers in time.

Auto part Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Auto part Vehicle Car Motorcycle accessories Automotive exterior

See less See more
#2 ·
Thought I'd start a thread for this aftermarket product now after seeing these ones on the Ninja 400 club Thailand facebook page.
I'm guessing they are locally made and not available outside of Thailand but thought they looked quite good.
I'm expecting I will add some to my bike when they become available from aftermarket parts manufacturers in time.

View attachment 195

View attachment 197
They look nice, I have a few friend that live in Thailand let me see what kind of price they are asking. Most anything is available for export from Thailand, you just have to watch where you buy it from. Give me a few days ill see what I can find out.

#9 · (Edited)
There seems to be very little info about rearsets on the forum, so I though I'd at least update this thread with a couple of comparison pictures and my impression after riding the Woodcraft rearsets and adjusting them. You can see how far back the adjustment goes, WC rearset on the left is adjusted as far back and as low as adjustment allows. In the second picture you can see even at it's lowest, the WC set is quite a bit higher with the WC shift lever being about level to the stock peg.

I love them! For being painfully average, I feel like I have small feet at a 9.5U US in Vans. That means the distance between the peg and foot controls were a bit too wide to be comfortable. I was having to shift my feet quite a bit from the balls of my feet to almost my heel to shift.

I'll grant that the position of the stock rearsets is just fine, but the WC set have changed my foot position just enough to allow me to grip the bike more confidently with my legs.

I'm really happy with the hardware included with the set as well, considering I've had to take them on and off quite a bit trying to find the right fit; and I guess that's my only gripe. I had to redo my adjustments over and over again because where that's concerned, I have no idea what I'm doing.

Also for those interested in these you CANNOT use the OEM brake switch, you'll have to get a pressure switch to bolt into the top of your master cylinder so add $20 to the price of the set.

Lastly, the rear brakes use DOT4 only, while the front accepts DOT3 & DOT 4 brake fluid, so add another $10 to the set for brake fluid as you'll need to bleed the brakes once you're done. I'm all about saving money, so I purchased these rearsets from another forum member for a considerable discount on retail price.

Maybe we should add a section to the forum where members can post parts they are selling? I went the PayPal friends and family route, but generally it is good practice to pay the fees and get the buyer protection. That being said, thank you @scobility for being a stand up guy, I'm loving the parts.

Attachments

#10 ·
I know this will make some members wince but typically in the past I have bought Chinese made rear sets off eBay for around the $100USD mark.
I choose ones that look good and I'm yet to have an issue with them. Most of my riding friends do the same, so we have bought a few sets now between us.
Just sayin and definitely not saying that the likes of Wood Craft etc aren't worth the money. It's just another (cheaper) option.
I haven't seen any cheapies available yet for the N400 though.

#11 · (Edited)
typically in the past I have bought Chinese made rear sets off eBay for around the $100USD mark.
Normally I tend towards the cheaper option when I see the value in it; the reason I was so intent on Woodcraft rearsets is the reliefs in the pegs, and the ability to order specific parts in case anything is damaged in a crash. What draws me to their parts is just that, when something goes wrong, usually you can replace a couple of parts instead of the whole thing.

Speaking of Chinese made and eBay, I might need to get me some bar end mirrors. As glad as I am to have N300 mirrors instead of the stock ones, they are still a bit much for my liking.

#12 ·
Chinese rearset

Hi guys,

Long time no post, because I haven't yet received my bike from the dealer...
Anyway, I've just received a rearset from AliExpress.
I payed barely 100 dollars with free shipping. I Chose them in black, take a look at the pictures.

I was wondering if I have to create a new thread for when I will mount them or just post in this one?
See you soon

Attachments

#13 ·
Hi guys,

Long time no post, because I haven't yet received my bike from the dealer...
Anyway, I've just received a rearset from AliExpress.
I payed barely 100 dollars with free shipping. I Chose them in black, take a look at the pictures.

I was wondering if I have to create a new thread for when I will mount them or just post in this one?
See you soon
Thanks for that, these are the first Chinese rear sets I've seen so far. Will be interesting to see if you have any fitting issues, how they look on the bike and how the position feels.

You can post your info here in this thread, cheers.

#20 ·
Relocation plates, easy mode?

Soooo... I really want to backward my pegs, I see this item on AliExpress, it's cheap, light (CNC aluminium), and comes in 4 different colours.

It seems to fit well on the right side (rear brake).
But I don't get well the comment of a buyer for the left side (clutch side)?

Is anybody recognize himself in this comment? Because there's no way to contact him through the app...

See you

Attachments

#21 ·
Rear Sets?

Hi All, just checking to see if anybody is running any more economical Rear Sets then the usual Vortex, Woodcraft etc...

Any Chinese options any good?

Is it just me or do the Hot Bodies rear sets look like ARASHI? at almost 3x the $$

Thx in advance...Paul

#22 ·
Hi All, just checking to see if anybody is running any more economical Rear Sets then the usual Vortex, Woodcraft etc...

Any Chinese options any good?

Is it just me or do the Hot Bodies rear sets look like ARASHI? at almost 3x the $$

Thx in advance...Paul
The Arashi ones are the pick of the Chinese ones IMO. If I end up getting a set it will be those. Have had Chinese rear sets before with no dramas other than the odd small fitting issue. Once on they worked fine and didnt break. The price of the high end rear sets is ridiculous.

#27 ·
I was skeptical at first too but between myself and my riding buddies we must have had about half a dozen sets of Chinese rears sets between us now. The odd small fitting issue where they had sent the wrong linkage part for the gear shift or rear brake etc but always sorted out (good customer service) but most importantly the quality has been good with no breakages and generally they look good. Have had lots of favorable comments on Chinese rearsets from people who didnt know any different
You do have to wait for them though as they use cheap (read slow) postal services.

So the Chinese stuff has it's place in market. Give it a try, you may be pleasantly surprised.

#38 ·
Arashi rearsets first impressions.

H3LL Yeah! Very nice!

I’ll install them tomorrow. But so far I think they are well worth the $107 I spent on them...

View attachment 9197

View attachment 9199
Yep, the quality, level of finish and looks of a lot of the Chinese rear sets is actually pretty decent. You've just got to sift out the junk ones.
Im sure the quality of the likes of ligh tech is great too but is it 4 or 5 times better like the price?

#41 ·
Ok, I’ve put a few hundred miles on the bike since installing the Arashi rearsets. I really have nothing bad to say about them. It takes a little bit to get used to the altered riding position and the different foot pegs which are a bit smaller than stock. Another issue is if you are running the stock exhaust like I am then you will need to remove the exhaust shield or your foot will interfere with it. The shift feel is much improved and it’s a nice firm click into each gear...

If you’re on the fence about the quality of the the Arashi rearsets, don’t be. They are worth every penny!

#42 ·
Rear sets

Put Woodcraft Rearsets on it on Sunday.

Don't like the slop in the brake pedal, but you can't feel it when using your foot. I ordered some stainless precision shims to potentially lessen the left to right slop on the pin.

Also had to replace the left footpeg mount plate, as previous owner laid it down in grass and the plate bent as well as the shift lever.

Its set up as GP shift right now. Seems to shift ok at this point. Will dial in the lever position later.

Attachments

Reactions: Kiwi Rider
#43 ·
Anodizing Rear sets

I went with the Anodizing rear sets for 60 bucks(EBay). My expectations were low and after 6 track days on them, I am happy to report they fit awesome and have held up fine. My friend brought the exact same set from Amazon and he is happy with them as well. The instructions were horrible, I found a Utube video of a guy putting on the same set on his 400. The brake side was a pain, I had to get a different spring from Lowe’s. The one that came with the set is too thick. My friend had a shop put his on and they didn’t use the supplied spring either. I set mines up with GP SHIFT and zero issues. My friends is standard. Awesome bang for the buck!

I wanted the Arashi ones, they look awesome with the touch of red. But when I emailed the seller if they could be set up for GP SHIFT he wasn’t sure. Looking at Boats I am sure they could be, oh well.

Attachments

#44 ·
I went with the Anodizing rear sets for 60 bucks(EBay). My expectations were low and after 6 track days on them, I am happy to report they fit awesome and have held up fine. My friend brought the exact same set from Amazon and he is happy with them as well. The instructions were horrible, I found a Utube video of a guy putting on the same set on his 400. The brake side was a pain, I had to get a different spring from Lowe’s. The one that came with the set is too thick. My friend had a shop put his on and they didn’t use the supplied spring either. I set mines up with GP SHIFT and zero issues. My friends is standard. Awesome bang for the buck!

I wanted the Arashi ones, they look awesome with the touch of red. But when I emailed the seller if they could be set up for GP SHIFT he wasn’t sure. Looking at Boats I am sure they could be, oh well.
Yes, I can confirm the Arashi rearsets can be set up for GP shift. I tried it during install...

#45 ·
So this (rearsets) is a mod I am thinking about doing but I'd like to see what some of you think before I do. I currently only use my Ninja 400 on the street, but I feel like when I scoot my butt back and try to get a decent tuck going on there's some back strain with the stock footpeg mount. Also, I have pretty small feet (size 8), with the stock config, I have to have my heel on the pegs to shift properly.

So for the people who have done these installs on their street bike. How is the comfort and do you think it's worth it to do this mod to a primarily street bike?

#48 ·
What's great about rearsets is their adjustability and their tight machining tolerance (no slop or play) on their hinges. The good ones will have bearings for smoothness. Remember rearsets are designed primarily for track/race use so you don't be scraping toes and feet when on full lean. Pay attention to their specs: how much higher and further back can the pegs be set. Some rearsets have further offsets than others. Since it is a street bike, make sure it has a brake light compatible mechanical switch (spring actuated) just like stock. I would avoid the ones that forego the mechanical brake switch that rely on a banjo pressure switch. I've read that a banjo pressure switch is not as reliable and can fail in a short time. Hence, you'll be replacing those pressure switches often.

In addition, you'll want to match rearsets with clip-ons to get that total sporty feel and position. I too felt very unnatural with the stock configuration when wanting to tuck or lean aggressively (5'7"). With clip-ons and rearsets, tucking has a more natural engaging sensation. So if it's bugging you that much, I say go for it! You can always go back to stock form.

#52 · (Edited)
I didn't need to extend the brake line - I was able to pull it further back to fit. I also rerouted the brake light cable away from the last cable holder and pulled an inch or two through the second one further up. It reaches the mounting location fine.

I ran into two issues that I'm going to have to figure out:

1) The brake light won't activate as there doesn't appear to be enough movement at the right angle between the brake lever and the actuator. I tried sizing the included spring in different lengths and bends and I just can't get it to work consistently. In the few times that I got it to work, it ended up getting stuck on the ON position - not good. Anyone else run into that issue?

2) I had to adjust the brake cable tensioner all the way to the lowest setting and it appears that it is still pushing the brake line in such that there's a bit of brake pressure at rest position. Again, anyone else run into this?

One issue that I as well as other aftermarket rearset users have encountered is the shift-side heel guard interferes with the shift rod in some of the user-selectable peg positions. The fix is to mount it on the inside towards the bike instead. See my picture in the post below.

Reactions: Grantman
#56 ·
That's good news re the brake line for ABS models. I think I might just be able to cancel my order for the brake line extension (hopefully!).

Aside from the issues, how do you rate the new peg position? Any idea on how the position differs from stock (50mm further back, 50mm up etc)?

#53 ·
OK, I adjusted the brake some more (I had more room on the adjustment nut that I didn't realize) and I discovered that the bracket for the brake light actuator can be adjusted as well to cant in a different angle. It is more directly inline with the spring bracket so it pulls straight down now. I ended up breaking the spring that came with the rearset since it was kinda flimsy but was able to bend the OEM one to fit my needs and everything appears to be in order now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.