Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Rear Sets?

Hi All, just checking to see if anybody is running any more economical Rear Sets then the usual Vortex, Woodcraft etc...

Any Chinese options any good?

Is it just me or do the Hot Bodies rear sets look like ARASHI? at almost 3x the $$

Thx in advance...Paul

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hi All, just checking to see if anybody is running any more economical Rear Sets then the usual Vortex, Woodcraft etc...

Any Chinese options any good?

Is it just me or do the Hot Bodies rear sets look like ARASHI? at almost 3x the $$

Thx in advance...Paul
The Arashi ones are the pick of the Chinese ones IMO. If I end up getting a set it will be those. Have had Chinese rear sets before with no dramas other than the odd small fitting issue. Once on they worked fine and didnt break. The price of the high end rear sets is ridiculous.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Personally I will avoid buying anything Chinese.
I was skeptical at first too but between myself and my riding buddies we must have had about half a dozen sets of Chinese rears sets between us now. The odd small fitting issue where they had sent the wrong linkage part for the gear shift or rear brake etc but always sorted out (good customer service) but most importantly the quality has been good with no breakages and generally they look good. Have had lots of favorable comments on Chinese rearsets from people who didnt know any different
You do have to wait for them though as they use cheap (read slow) postal services.

So the Chinese stuff has it's place in market. Give it a try, you may be pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was skeptical at first too but between myself and my riding buddies we must have had about half a dozen sets of Chinese rears sets between us now. The odd small fitting issue where they had sent the wrong linkage part for the gear shift or rear brake etc but always sorted out (good customer service) but most importantly the quality has been good with no breakages and generally they look good. Have had lots of favorable comments on Chinese rearsets from people who didnt know any different
You do have to wait for them though as they use cheap (read slow) postal services.

So the Chinese stuff has it's place in market. Give it a try, you may be pleasantly surprised.

My choice is a political and economic choice. China is an enemy of the US.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
My choice is a political and economic choice. China is an enemy of the US.
Fair enough.
Other side of the coin: I went there on holiday once to actually see what it was like for myself as prior to that my views had been formed by the media, the internet and the general opinion of people around me.
I was there 7 weeks and had a good look around and really enjoyed myself. The scenery blew me away at times and I found the people to be friendly and fun loving and most importantly, I felt safe and didn't have to worry about my luggage etc. Unlike my travels in South America.

You've probably worked out by now that if I offer an observation on something whether it's a motorcycle part or what ever it's usually based on first hand experience. There is so much BS out there in the world, mostly fueled by the the media and the internet. However, I respect your political beliefs.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Fair enough.
Other side of the coin: I went there on holiday once to actually see what it was like for myself as prior to that my views had been formed by the media, the internet and the general opinion of people around me.
I was there 7 weeks and had a good look around and really enjoyed myself. The scenery blew me away at times and I found the people to be friendly and fun loving and most importantly, I felt safe and didn't have to worry about my luggage etc. Unlike my travels in South America.

You've probably worked out by now that if I offer an observation on something whether it's a motorcycle part or what ever it's usually based on first hand experience. There is so much BS out there in the world, mostly fueled by the the media and the internet. However, I respect your political beliefs.

My views come from the US military, who I still work for and did for 35 years. We know stuff.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I emailed Arashi, trying live chatting with them no dice. Might just splurge on the woodcraft or vortex set. thinking about turning this into a track bike anyways.

wow those bonamici's look nice. Probably expensive replacement parts though, no?

·
Registered
85 Posts
The Arashi ones are the pick of the Chinese ones IMO. If I end up getting a set it will be those. Have had Chinese rear sets before with no dramas other than the odd small fitting issue. Once on they worked fine and didnt break. The price of the high end rear sets is ridiculous.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32957301825.html
Looks like they have finally made them for the 400

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32957301825.html
Looks like they have finally made them for the 400
Yeah I think the titanium/grey ones look best, not sure if they'd suit a black bike or not though.
I'm not going to spend any more money on the bike until the end of year when next years models are revealed.

·
Registered
178 Posts
if a peg does break off...I'm sure i can fit a less expensive set on...but what isn't expensive in our sport ! !!!

wow those bonamici's look nice. Probably expensive replacement parts though, no?[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
422 Posts
Well I went ahead and ordered a set of the Arashi rearsets to try out.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/264249813922

I will evaluate the quality and do a review of them on here when I get them. I’ve read mostly positive reviews online so far. They arrived at the local post office today so I should get them today or tomorrow. I used to be leery of Chinese aftermarket parts, and still am somewhat. But I must admit that their manufacturing techniques and quality control has greatly improved over the last several years...

I’m not in the US Army, but I did work quality control at an auto manufacturing plant (NUMMI), so I know a thing or two about inspecting parts and material defects. If I think they are junk I will not use them.

A5926E7F-6B27-4832-9BC9-D66984BD1565.jpeg

05891409-0C9F-4C31-AD07-D3D772B52DBF.jpeg

40AB3DC3-0485-4893-B6BB-092DB7D5EFF9.jpeg

F44F961F-0AC6-413C-A0AA-F63ECDF6F4E3.jpeg

·
Registered
422 Posts
Arashi rearsets first impressions.

H3LL Yeah! Very nice!

I’ll install them tomorrow. But so far I think they are well worth the $107 I spent on them...

0B210A5E-945E-4D90-AC5A-CAB23D048910.jpg

1D2E24DE-E9A0-428C-B7A4-92F98CCEE593.jpg

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #38

H3LL Yeah! Very nice!

I’ll install them tomorrow. But so far I think they are well worth the $107 I spent on them...

View attachment 9197

View attachment 9199
Yep, the quality, level of finish and looks of a lot of the Chinese rear sets is actually pretty decent. You've just got to sift out the junk ones.
Im sure the quality of the likes of ligh tech is great too but is it 4 or 5 times better like the price?

·
Registered
521 Posts

H3LL Yeah! Very nice!

View attachment 9197

View attachment 9199

How's the fitment? Does it retain the brake light function without modifications?

There's a version 2.0 on this with a beefier heel plate, ball bearing shift linkage.

·
Registered
422 Posts
How's the fitment? Does it retain the brake light function without modifications?

There's a version 2.0 on this with a beefier heel plate, ball bearing shift linkage.
Finally got around to installing the Arashi rearsets. I haven’t test ridden yet though...

Fitment is good. Stock brake light works with these and they provide a spring that you cut to length. Took me a bit to get it just right...

I had a few small issues when installing. The shift rod they provide is too long. I had to cut about 1/2” of thread off of each end in order to get the shifter low enough. Also, the heel guard was ever so slightly in the way of the shift rod end so I mounted it on the back side of the bracket and it gave me plenty of clearance...

I mounted them the furthest forward and lowest position and they are still about 2” further back and 1” higher than stock. It’s a pretty big difference...

My initial impressions from just sitting on the bike are positive...

I’ll take it for a spin tomorrow and update...

0D4347C8-B604-45A9-B354-4FFFDAA9209C.jpg

AD71765A-F0E2-416C-8866-9A0F0A6E5C60.jpg

21 - 40 of 68 Posts