Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Aha so yeah it's definitely at least largely my body position, as I knew. I've kinda prioritised everything else over BP.

This is probably the best example from track photographer. Feel like it was earlier in day when I was even less focused on BP, but I wouldn't be surprised if I'm always this upright.

Img_2021_05_09_20_43_56.jpeg

I had a look at rear shock today (figure I might as well fiddle there as well). Can you lengthen the shock while it's on the bike? If not I probably need some peg stands based on YouTube. At the moment all I have are spool rear stands and stem lift front (+some other misc similar stands).

Looks like at minimum I'd need to undo the bottom part of shock and extend there.

·
Director of Moderation
2,283 Posts
Aha so yeah it's definitely at least largely my body position, as I knew. I've kinda prioritised everything else over BP.

This is probably the best example from track photographer. Feel like it was earlier in day when I was even less focused on BP, but I wouldn't be surprised if I'm always this upright.

View attachment 18328

I had a look at rear shock today (figure I might as well fiddle there as well). Can you lengthen the shock while it's on the bike? If not I probably need some peg stands based on YouTube. At the moment all I have are spool rear stands and stem lift front (+some other misc similar stands).

Looks like at minimum I'd need to undo the bottom part of shock and extend there.
Yep that explains it right there. You're leaning the **** out of the bike, but not much yourself. Try hanging off the bike more.

·
Registered
2017 Suzuki GSXR1000 2010 Suzuki GSXR600 x2 2018/19 N400
560 Posts
another thing to remember about the bike.....it was never designed to be a race bike ! so it has to be ridden in a different manner one would ride a SS or SB.....the more seat time and coaching you get,the better you be at not scraping scrapping parts 😝

·
Registered
2017 Suzuki GSXR1000 2010 Suzuki GSXR600 x2 2018/19 N400
560 Posts
so here's some good measurements from stock RS on a totally stock bike to woodcraft on the same stock bike to a "race" set up ! knowing and being able to properly lean over the bike is crucial

RS4D.jpg rs10.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thanks guys. Yeah I knew my BP was ****, but I didn't think I was hitting angles high enough to justify scrapes (54 max based on my sensor thing), so I was wondering if I had some other config to play with to increase that. Assumed 60ish would be kinda "normal", but may I've just watched too much MotoGP.

I'll work on BP next track day (Saturday). I know the theory, I just need to apply it. Have my first super entry level race Sunday, so maybe if I get my BP going well on Saturday I'll look like less of a mong doing my baby race Sunday ;)

·
Director of Moderation
2,283 Posts
Thanks guys. Yeah I knew my BP was ****, but I didn't think I was hitting angles high enough to justify scrapes (54 max based on my sensor thing), so I was wondering if I had some other config to play with to increase that. Assumed 60ish would be kinda "normal", but may I've just watched too much MotoGP.

I'll work on BP next track day (Saturday). I know the theory, I just need to apply it. Have my first super entry level race Sunday, so maybe if I get my BP going well on Saturday I'll look like less of a mong doing my baby race Sunday ;)
Lol...60 degrees is definitely not normal. That's MotoGP and WSBK levels. Ninja 400s aren't meant to lean that much due to geometry and tires. You'd crash before you get to that. Not sure what your "sensor thing" is but it's hard for any inclinometer sensor to accurately give you lean angle because it can only do so relative to a preset "zero", but most turns on race tracks are a bit cambered. So if it told you 54 degrees, depending on the turn, it could've been around 50 relative to the asphalt. I remember looking at my data logger from a race at NJMP last year and there was one turn where it read something like 56-57 degrees lean, but all the rest were below 52, so I'm pretty sure that 56-57 wasn't actually realistic due to camber in the turn.

Nevertheless, for a ninja 400, if your max angle starts with a 5 that's already good.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Haha, yeah ok, my mistake. My "sensor thingy" is just some bluetooth GPS device paired to a phone that I use in lieu of a proper track timer, because I'm cheap. You're right, it probably does not factor camber in at all, so even the 54's are probably lies.

At least I've got an obvious thing to work on Saturday. Might try to sort out a camera for my tail to see how off the bike I'm getting vs. feeling.
There's a track somewhat local that does coaching fairly cheap, will try to get up there sometime soon. I've done training in the past but it's all been fairly entry level, i.e. vision/throttle control/blah. BP I figured I'd leave until last, but seems like it's getting to the point where it's dangerous to avoid.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Mid 50 degree angles are very common on track on the 400. My Dainese d-air suit and and Aim Solo2 both have telemetry that is usually within 1 degree of each other. Both of these use basically the same technology that’s used in Motogp. Lean angle does not come from some sort of inclinometer based on the horizon. With these devices it’s calculated based on GPS speed, lateral G forces, and usually 3 gyros in the device. The D-air suit, even though I may be leaning 30 degrees relative to the bike still gives the same lean angles as the Solo2 mounted to the bike.

Now, that being said both will sometimes give a reading that is for some reason way off. Like in the 60’s. Of course it’s a bogus number. I’m pretty sure the Motogp guys spend way more money on their systems to get better accuracy. :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
First race weekend, went pretty well, 3rd overall somehow after messing up the first race.
Improved my body position a little, and way less scraping while improving my lap times (1:07.6 from 1:08.3). So I'll call that a win. Still have a long way to go but I'm actually moving a little bit which is a decent step.

So I have on-going work to improve BP, but it has definitely helped already with my minor adjustments.
"Learn how to launch 400" is also on my todo list now. On the plus? side I learnt how to wheelie, not ever really a goal of mine but .. here we are.

Thanks a bunch for the help guys, looks like BP was the key.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts