Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Suzuki GSXR1000 2010 Suzuki GSXR600 x2 2018/19 N400
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so being a dealer of so many brands I've been able to use 3 types of rear sets Bonamici,Woodcraft and Vortex and what I have found is the Woodcraft gives the best ground clearance. not sure why the don't include a right side heal guard,but those so far the ones I will start to recommend for the faster types of riders that are requiring more lean angles. there's about a good solid inch of difference in peg location

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've only ran Vortex but probably wouldn't again. I've heard from others even at full height they are still too low (hasn't been a problem for me). I've had the bearing in the shifter fail on 3 out of 4 arms, one of them had failed from brand new, it still works when it does, but is very notchy and harder to shift. Also Vortex flips your shift pattern from stock unlike Woodcraft, so if you run regular shift you need to buy a GP shift quick shifter or vice versa. It doesn't matter for dual direction shifters, but for single direction shifters it makes it confusing.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i will post some photos of each here to come...

·
Registered
398 Posts
One of my main gripes with most rear sets is the way they hide bolts such that you have to remove everything to make common adjustments. Very irritating to say the least.

We started with Vortex but quickly found out they are too low for track use. That and the shift rod length is so short it’s hard to fit a quick shifter.

Yea, I’ve wondered what the deal is with Woodcraft and the heal guard.

·
Registered
662 Posts
You can use the stock heel guard on the Woodcraft, but I bought a CF heel guard that looks much better and probably saves .00001 oz or so lol.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@Delurker i mean if you're paying upwards of 450,don't you think that nice new heal guards should be included !! regardless if you can use the OEM silver ones 💩

@jd41 those are actually higher and nicer than woodcraft !!💪💪💪

·
Registered
398 Posts
Sato Race Concept rearsets also have high clearance.

This is what I’m using now. Wonderful stuff.

And one more thing I’ve learned about available rear sets..... look closely at the rear brake lever. Some like the Vortex change the length of the lever behind the pivot enough to essentially kill the rear brake. I’ve just recently started learning to use the rear brake and the Vortex made that almost impossible. The Sato give a more normal leverage and response similar to stock.

·
Registered
662 Posts
@Delurker i mean if you're paying upwards of 450,don't you think that nice new heal guards should be included !! regardless if you can use the OEM silver ones 💩
Of course I do; the problem is that if they were to include them, they’d probably charge (even) more! I guess I’m kind of over it now though.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
You can use the stock heel guard on the Woodcraft, but I bought a CF heel guard that looks much better and probably saves .00001 oz or so lol.
I also make and will sell a set, OEM fit, of carbon fiber, polymer blended heel guards....and yes they do save a few oz; .10 actually :);)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Also with Woodcraft you have to remove a washer from behind your stock brake pedal to reuse on their rearsets, which makes reselling your stock rearsets more difficult unless you want to buy a replacement washer from them from Kawasaki. There is nothing I can see special about this washer, I don't know why Woodcraft doesn't just buy 100 of them from Home Depot and include it for their customers.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@b0Xcrash have you ever raced or did a track day and that nice point on that weapon of a heal guard catch the inside of your boot and hang it up so you couldn't reposition your foot !!😡🤬😡🤬😡🤬😡🤬

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
@b0Xcrash have you ever raced or did a track day and that nice point on that weapon of a heal guard catch the inside of your boot and hang it up so you couldn't reposition your foot !!😡🤬😡🤬😡🤬😡🤬
Nope, has not happened to me on the track(even with elbows tucked and all tight in the straights), or the street, and I mostly wear the same boots in both places, the SIDI Vortice, which has plenty of places to hang up or get caught.(occasionally I will wear my old Vertigo Corsa's on the street)
I know alot of people who race/raced and got rid of them cause they were either burning them(Ducati's) or catching them on stuff

Would not be hard for me to change that side of the heel guard anyway........now that you mention it, I just might.......thanks for pointing out or seeing something that I never considered.....considering it was never an issue for me.....

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@b0Xcrash feel free to send me a sample !! yes most boots that have any kinda straps like my A* SMX + they hang up on the rear and sides....i had to go with Sidi mag 1 to keep that from happening....no problem with street riding but at the track YIKES !!! multiple times...everyone has a different riding style so who knows what they do to accommodate ! also you may want to think about make a wider heal gaurd to protect swingarm/exhaust hanger etc....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts