Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Full exhaust = Wanted to fine tune the look, sound, and performance. Mission accomplished.
Power Commander V = You must have missed where I said I plan on getting my motorcycle dyno tuned. Also, I wanted the ability to adjust parameters you normally cannot. With the Akrapovic map, the Ninja 400 runs better and faster than a stock and "zero" map (which, as you know, is basically like no PCV installed). The first question dyno tuners here in Illinois have asked me is, "Do I have a Power Commander installed?"

I have also fine tuned the exhaust so it pops less (by modifying the lower RPM range). So far it has been an originally "iffy" upgrade that has helped my motorcycle run better than just the Delkevic and stock ECU. It will pay off further when at the end of this month I get it dyno tuned.

I have a 2021 Ninja 400 ABS, so ECU tuning is so far limited. I would like to eventually do both. Also, considering the bike in stock form runs lean from the factory in the mid RPM range and rich in the high RPM range, now it runs better and less lean or rich in the respective place. The full exhaust definitely made the bike run leaner than the factory exhaust, due to increased air and the headers breathing much better.

AIS block off kit: Removing this has stopped a lot of the popping (due to introducing more air in the system, which the full exhaust system already does) and will be better when I get it dyno tuned (it throws off the Air fuel ratio and makes it read inaccurate)

Risk versus reward, either install a radiator guard, or happily drain your coolant line and replace a not so cheap aluminum radiator when, eventually, you run over rocks or sticks and they plunge into your radiator and it leaks or looks like crap.

No need to pay a ton for one, but silly not to have one in my opinion. It weighs nothing, cheap, and the provisions are there.
Figured I'd clarify cause I installed one Friday night after reading this post. I'm a noob. Def worth $40 to save the radiator, I've replaced them in cars and they are a pain in the ass so easy choice. Just making sure I wasn't missing something based on the comment. It wasn't clear based on the comment if I was missing some reason why I shouldn't have done that

·
Registered
2017 Suzuki GSXR1000 2010 Suzuki GSXR600 x2 2018/19 N400
496 Posts
@mbikeboy some of us have actually trained knowledge and then there's " millennial" knowledge if your picking up what I'm putting down mate ! 😎

·
Premium Member
2021 Ninja 400 ABS
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The beauty of forums is they are a collective place to share information and experience. Some people will have limited experience, others have a wealth of knowledge...let's just all get along and stick to the very purpose of this thread in a constructive and positive way yeah? ;)
Agreed , that is exactly what this post is all about. Only 2 mods have I really "regretted getting", and 1 has a very limited use but was cheap (o2 sensor delete).

The Two Brothers Hurricane slip on was the most expensive mod I should have not bought, but I can sell it and make some of that money back. I frankly was not able to get what I originally wanted, the Akrapovic, at the time. It is not, by any means, a bad exhaust, just not the right one for myself.

The tank grips, people swear by them, but I never liked the look of them on the gas tank. They cover some of the design of my Ninja 400 on the tank, and removing them was a surprising amount of work and effort.

Let's keep this a nice thread, I do not mind the questioning, he asked valid questions. There is a method to my madness, I swear it! :p ;)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Brand: GB Racing
Model: Engine Case Cover Set
What it is: Protects alternator and clutch covers, and water pump
Cost: $300AUD
Rating: 10 out of 10
Value: 10 out of 10
Ease of Install: 8 out of 10
Requires: Removal of left and right side fairings

In terms of engine case protection, these are possibly the very best that you can get. They are extremely well manufactured, with a precision fit and no stuffing around with misalignment, and all fitting hardware is the highest quality. Impact points are reinforced with extra thickness, and you can tell to the touch that these are going to do exactly what they're supposed to. Included instructions are in colour, clear and easy to read, and correct.

Fitment of these requires removal of both side fairings which obviously slows things down (hence the 8/10 rating but was a necessary step), but the actual fitting of these covers was simple and straightforward. The oil window is also unimpeded which was a nice touch, as is the pre-drilled hole to use tie-wire for an oil filler cap if required. Aesthetically these are pleasing, without being blingy and blend into the style of the bike seamlessly.

Value for money...well $300AUD can get some nice upgrade parts for the bike, but spending that on some crash protection for the engine instead was a smart decision, and feel that especially for the quality and proven nature of these products, it is excellent value. If you're planning on doing track days or racing in particular, they'll easily pay for themselves the first time they're called into use!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Brand: GB Racing
Model: Lower Chain Guard & Bobbin Assembly
What it is: Swingarm spools & chain guard
Cost: $95
Value: 8 out of 10
Ease of Install: 10 out of 10
Requires: Inserting 2 bolts

It's GB Racing, so the quality of the product is of the highest standard. The design is integrated so that there is no drilling required into the swingarm, and that simplifies installation to no end. These simply bolt onto the factory spool locations and have a precision fit, with a slight cut-out to for the fin to fit neatly under the swingarm. The included instructions (not necessary but included nevertheless), are in colour, clear and easy to read, and correct.

They are nice and chunky which is to provide a contact point for protection in a slide, but also makes locating a rear bike stand nice and easy. The fin and spools are solid, and have no doubt whatsoever they'll do the job required when/if needed.

$95AUD is maybe a little bit on the pricier side (possibly thanks to the "tyranny of distance tax here in Australia"), but all things considered it still represents excellent value when considering what you are actually getting. I would definitely recommend these, especially if doing track days or racing.

·
Premium Member
2021 Ninja 400 ABS
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
@mbikeboy some of us have actually trained knowledge and then there's " millennial" knowledge if your picking up what I'm putting down mate ! 😎
Well, I have not had "training", my father is a killer mechanic but, unfortunately, not a great teacher. This is a hobby, not a job for me, but that has perks as well. Modding the bike is actually fun for me, making it my own is what it is all about. I have made my Ninja 400 better protected, look better, perform better, and have features it does not come with. The end result is cohesive and has resulted in owner satisfaction. It could always be better, and I am not by any means done, but the weather here has been wishy-washy. Even when it is hot out, it is very windy.

Did I encounter roadblocks? Of course. I have only owned the bike for less than 2 months now.

I do not know if I have "Millennial knowledge", and I sure do not know it all, but I would say I know enough to get by and can certainly help other people. No training is required for that and I am not just doing this stuff on a whim. Everything I did here, I did myself without any other person helping me. I trained myself, studying those who do know more than I do.
No better way to get trained than to get your hands dirty.

·
Premium Member
2021 Ninja 400 ABS
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Great write up Mbikeboy!

I have been too busy wrenching or riding my N400, but I want to take some more pics of my mods and add them to my posts so people can see what they look like installed, plus better show what they do.

I have considered the engine case covers as well, because while not cheap, it is much more expensive to NOT have those installed in case of a drop or crash! I do have the spool arm sliders, thanks to the complete Shogun kit, but those are nicer and the chain guard is nice as well.

Appreciate your effort, thank you!

Reactions: mbikeboy

·
Registered
78 Posts
Brand: Mustard Bikes
Model: Rear Fender Eliminator
What it is: Removes the big ugly plastic rear fender
Cost: $130 AUD
Ease of Install: 10 out of 10
Requires: Removal of OEM rear fender

There's a few different companies doing rear fender eliminator kits, and I spent quite a bit of time doing some research before committing. In the end, I went with Australian company Mustard Bikes, and have been thoroughly impressed.

The finish of the bracket is of superb quality with CNC cutting and is powder-coated black. All of the included fitting hardware is top-notch quality. There was a choice of bracket sizes at the time of purchase to accommodate a few different numberplates (some states here have larger or smaller ones), which shows careful consideration to the end-user.

Installation was really straightforward, with a step-by-step video available on YouTube via a QR code provided in the package. All wiring is ready to plug directly in, so no fussing around with splicing wires or crimping terminals on. It is literally plug-and-play, and the bracket mounted cleanly and perfectly for a seamless look. The central LED light is nice and bright, and the factory indicators fitted perfectly and use of OEM retainer clips. All up the installation took approx 20mins, and it has remained rock solid.

Value for money this is a clear standout, and was at least $20 cheaper than the likes of R&G. I would have no hesitation recommending this fender eliminator to anyone!

·
Registered
2017 Suzuki GSXR1000 2010 Suzuki GSXR600 x2 2018/19 N400
496 Posts
your not helping people if you're not giving accurate information ! as a shop owner,the information I give is through years or trial and error and hands on and of course what I've picked up along the way working for top builders,my only reason for writing initially is to help guild YOU with the plethora of information that's on these forms already of parts tested and passed many of us experienced riders/racers.🏁

·
Registered
78 Posts
Brand: Oxford
Model: HotGrips - Sport Premium
What it is: Heated handgrips
Cost: $110 AUD
Ease of Install: 7 out of 10
Requires: Removal of seat, left fairing, removal of OEM grips, installation of controller, tucking away wiring loom.

These have always been an automatic purchase for any bike I've bought over the years, as I ride all year round. My hands get cold easily, plus I have long fingers, so the little bit of extra circumference makes it more comfortable to hold the grips...the OEM ones were too skinny for my tastes.

I always dread fitting these, because you never really know what kind of a sh*tfight you're going to have until you've committed to cutting off the OEM grips. My last BMW was a nightmare, however, I was pleasantly surprised at how straightforward it was with the Ninja 400. The fit is super-snug, but I didn't have to wrestle these grips on with too much difficulty for a change!

Finding a suitable cable route and making things neat is probably the hardest issue, but by spending some time to think things through logically and trying some different options it became very clear the best way to do it. Instructions provided are very clear (although I no longer need to bother with them as have used these products on the past 5 bikes I've owned). The quality of the grips is excellent, as is the controller, and they are weatherproof and never had any issue of water ingress. Heat settings are variable from low to scalding hot, and the controller has a voltage sensor that will automatically switch off the unit if the voltage drops below a certain point. This was an update they made many years ago to stop the dreaded flat-battery if you forgot to turn the system off...that caught me out a few times, so it's become second nature to me to turn off just as approaching my destination anyways haha!

The only issue which I encountered was mounting the controller to the Ninja 400, as the clutch perch pinch bolts are on top, rather than facing the rider which is the norm, so the supplied bracket needed to be bent slightly to have a neat finish. That's easy enough though!

Value for money wise, these are fantastic, and something which I highly recommend should you be after such a product. I know these aren't suited to everyone, so consider your own needs obviously.

·
Premium Member
2021 Ninja 400 ABS
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
your not helping people if you're not giving accurate information ! as a shop owner,the information I give is through years or trial and error and hands on and of course what I've picked up along the way working for top builders,my only reason for writing initially is to help guild YOU with the plethora of information that's on these forms already of parts tested and passed many of us experienced riders/racers.🏁
Well, fortunate for me, all my information is accurate. You have, frankly, not helped me at all (or anyone else) and there is no need for arrogance! When you have to remind people what an expert you are, you are not such an expert. In fact, you actually agreed with me about the radiator guard.

Instead of telling people how great you are, why have you not done something like this then? With your vast knowledge, the time you are spending trying to critique me could be better spent teaching "noobs", as you like to label people. This is not a video game forum, this is about motorcycles. You really are not impressing me, I find you childish and you like to label people with derogatory names.

I do not care if you know more than me, you asked me why I did things and had no counter because it SHOULD be logic. There are guys like you on every forum, I really do not bother with those like you. I have been polite, I have answered your (what SHOULD be obvious for an expert) questions. You have yet to point out where I am wrong, and considering a post like this bothers you, that is a great show of who I am dealing with.

I am not here to meet your approval, you are not a moderator, and I do not care what you think/feel of me or what I post. There are things/posts I do not like in any forum, I move on to things that interest me. You are an expert, yet coming in here and trying to belittle me, label me? That is what "experts" do? Glad I am not an expert then, that is a bad way to be IMO. Lucky for you, I am no moderator here because I would suspend people for childish name calling. I will show you "Millenial Knowledge", I was born before 1981-1996, so a Millennial I am not. You act like a Millenial more than I do, so you must be well versed in that.

This is not my first rodeo, you think by taking little stabs at me, you will make me disrespect you, get suspended/banned and this post removed because it lacks your approval. I would say that is slick, but again, there are guys like you on literally every forum that exists.

I politely asked to stay on topic and this is not a debate post! I love the way you come in, build yourself up, criticize everything for no reason (other than arrogance), agree with one of my answers (actually funny in context), attack my credibility, hand out insults to other members, then insult me when that misses the mark. Do you go by a flow chart or just make this up as you go? The claim is the incorrect information I am giving...where? Point it out and then we can talk. If not, there are better ways to go about this or spend your time. What you are doing is clearly not working!

Next, enough said.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Chill-out guys, please!

Just my personal take on things, but imparting knowledge to new riders is incredibly important. I started riding when I was 19, and the amount of knowledge and experience that I've accumulated in 20yrs has been immense. Back in those days, the internet was rubbish, forums only existed in BBS and were nothing like what we have now, so the only way to learn was by talking to the older/faster guys who honestly didn't give you much help...you mostly figured it out for yourself one way or another. For this very reason, "paying it forward" is something that I'm always mindful of these days.

Modifying bikes is always something that is going to interest people, but that lazy $1000 you just dropped on a single part as an older guy is quite likely out of reach to someone young and has gone full-stretch to their budget just to afford the bike and riding gear. Be honest with yourself, we've all been there at some point! We're all different people, with different budgets, different levels of experience, etc, so going hard at someone because they're new or are on a limited budget is a bit unfair tbh and not cool tbh.

I'm at a stage of my life (turning 40 in a few days time), where I could just go and buy a new bike without a second thought, have some of the best riding gear, and start throwing some coin at the bike without stressing financially. Not everyone is in that position, and it must be remembered that these bikes are mostly purchased by new or reasonably new riders who aren't in that position. There are some of us (myself included) who have deliberately chosen to have the smaller, lighter, more nimble bike for what they can do in capable hands against the bigger bikes, and the thrill they provide.

I'm also an ex car technician and worked in the motorcycle industry for years, and have learned never to dismiss a person's opinion or experiences. Keeping an open mind does wonders, and some of the things I've learned over the years just by doing this has been amazing. It's also built fantastic personal and professional relationships over the years by doing so, as someone who's willing to listen and be trusted.

Let's keep any aggro or disagreements away from this thread, and instead just focus on the modifications. I'm super-interested to read all about them, regardless for example whether a (and I legit hate this term btw) "noob" or a shop owner tell me about it. Product awareness and personal experience is the primary goal of this thread, then I can do my own independent research on that basis.

Let's play nicely and I look forward to seeing more mod reviews! :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
Brand: MonkeyBones
Model: External Lever Guards
What it is: Lever guards for clutch and front brake
Cost: $60 AUD
Rating: 8 out of 10
Ease of Install: 10out of 10
Requires: Removal of OEM bar-ends, figuring out correct included hardware for fitment

As someone who filters through tight traffic, and will be doing track days, lever guards were on an immediate list of priorities. Plus they look cool, hehe! I'd looked around at different types, and most were just for the brake side, which left me wondering what to do with the left bar-end to make feel even. I eventually found a product from Australia called MonkeyBones, which made an amazing quality product made from billet, that had both lever guards as a kit.

Information was a bit confusing whether they would fit based on the limited information from the seller's website...I suspect that MonkeyBones is now recently defunct, as their website doesn't work atm. The price of $60AUD seemed like a clearance price and was too good not to try, and looking at the other parts they made, they were obviously aiming at the high-end of the market for racers and track day enthusiasts.

Packaging was superb, no instructions provided but figured out a way to fit them almost straight away. They are sublime quality, with looks, fit and finish above and beyond. There was one "little" issue, however...I rode less than 100m and heard a "clink" behind me, and I'd just lost my clutch lever guard, and watched a car drive straight over the bloody thing in my mirrors! Turns out the grub-screws aren't tightened enough out of the box, and that was purely my fault for not double-checking! I've since got some replacement grub screws coming, and with some Loctite, the issue is sorted for good. Just would have been nice to know about that first. With some of the finish now being slightly dinged-up, a Sharpie pen easily fixed it and is invisible thankfully.

The looks blend in like OEM, and give the bike a very subtle purposeful look, and would be something to use for track days or racing...just got to check those grub screws and secure them!!! Would I buy these again, absolutely. Would I double-check the grub-screws next time, absolutely. These are super-solid kit, and it was user-error for not noticing (they fit perfectly first go, felt solid, and didn't think to check which was my bad).

Value for money, 10/10. Ease of install, 10/10. Rating would be higher if for the lack of warning/stupidity on my part. Would HIGHLY recommend these!

·
Premium Member
2021 Ninja 400 ABS
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I mean, come on, they even have monkeys on them, what is not to like? :LOL:

Good stuff and I like those, I may be looking into those as well.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Already had chat with a mate of mine from the USA, and if the company is defunct, we're keen to resurrect it...such is the quality of that kit. It's THAT good.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Brand: MonkeyBones
Model: External Lever Guards
What it is: Lever guards for clutch and front brake
Cost: $60 AUD
Rating: 8 out of 10
Ease of Install: 10out of 10
Requires: Removal of OEM bar-ends, figuring out correct included hardware for fitment

Value for money, 10/10. Ease of install, 10/10. Rating would be higher if for the lack of warning/stupidity on my part. Would HIGHLY recommend these!
Yeah those are pretty nice, and I should have gone with that style I have seen others using.

I actually back in 2019 bought some of the ones just like Spears is selling, but I got them direct from China for $25.(they run about $23 now)
I have no issues with Spears and of course I had to wait about a month vs through Spears within a week.

I still have them and use them, I have no issues with them, except how they anodize them (quality, dye, thickness, etc.) in the sunlight they will start to fade over time, mine have, but its not uncommon with all Chinese stuff unfortunately.

Many years ago I use to do do anodizing and had a consistent decent little setup for stuff this size and a little larger, and if you have a good setup, good power supply that does not change or cycle and stays consistent, good dyes and good cathodes with a good solution it can hold up to UV rays well for many years.

More than likely the manufactures in China have cheap dye's, poor prepping of metal, probably pretty diluted solution of battery acid(better to use lab grade sulfuric) using any old water source, along the lines of computer PSU's that fluctuate too much, and they more than likely leave them in there for too little time.

·
Premium Member
2021 Ninja 400 ABS
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Yeah those are pretty nice, and I should have gone with that style I have seen others using.

I actually back in 2019 bought some of the ones just like Spears is selling, but I got them direct from China for $25.(they run about $23 now)
I have no issues with Spears and of course I had to wait about a month vs through Spears within a week.

I still have them and use them, I have no issues with them, except how they anodize them (quality, dye, thickness, etc.) in the sunlight they will start to fade over time, mine have, but its not uncommon with all Chinese stuff unfortunately.

Many years ago I use to do do anodizing and had a consistent decent little setup for stuff this size and a little larger, and if you have a good setup, good power supply that does not change or cycle and stays consistent, good dyes and good cathodes with a good solution it can hold up to UV rays well for many years.

More than likely the manufactures in China have cheap dye's, poor prepping of metal, probably pretty diluted solution of battery acid(better to use lab grade sulfuric) using any old water source, along the lines of computer PSU's that fluctuate too much, and they more than likely leave them in there for too little time.

View attachment 18169
I like those too, I wonder if doing a clear coat on the Chinese stuff would make it hold up to UV better? Not just a cheap clear coat, like an automotive clear coat with a spray gun.

Reactions: b0Xcrash

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I like those too, I wonder if doing a clear coat on the Chinese stuff would make it hold up to UV better? Not just a cheap clear coat, like an automotive clear coat with a spray gun.
Yeah I have never tried it, possibly. I do have a couple cans of 2K which is really good stuff.......super glossy though......

21 - 39 of 39 Posts