Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I installed a usb socked that has a voltmeter in it.
I know the ideal normal voltage a car should be running at is like 13.9v-14.4v, does that apply do motorcycles as well?
Also last night in my way home I was watching that voltmeter and cruising around 60-65mph I noticed the voltage fluctuating drastically, it on second it’d be around 14v and then it’d drop to like 8.4v for a second then pop back up to around 14v it was doing this the whole way home but at an idle would stick around 14.
Is this normal?

·
Registered
242 Posts
I assure you the battery itself is not dropping to 8.4v momentarily. Sounds like usb socket connection or lousy volt meter function. A lead acid battery is a lead acid battery regardless of size, so should be same charging voltage as a car battery, yes somewhere around 13.8-14.4 volts.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Alright I installed a usb socked that has a voltmeter in it.
I know the ideal normal voltage a car should be running at is like 13.9v-14.4v, does that apply do motorcycles as well?
Also last night in my way home I was watching that voltmeter and cruising around 60-65mph I noticed the voltage fluctuating drastically, it on second it’d be around 14v and then it’d drop to like 8.4v for a second then pop back up to around 14v it was doing this the whole way home but at an idle would stick around 14.
Is this normal?
I wouldn't say its the bike, I would lean towards the new USB socket having loose wiring - Bad socket or defective device, you have a battery that should read with a meter 12,8 Volts fully charged + the bike when running will charge and read 13.8+... Your bike should never drop to 8.4 volts even with the biggest load ( starter motor ) running.

If its not a defective device, wiring or socket then you have a short in your wiring of the bike that makes contact when being jostled around from riding the bike. Also check that your battery connection is clean and tight, a loose connection can imitate a short.

Pretty much your battery would have to malfunction and your charging system fail at the same time for your voltage to drop to 8.4v, but then you would feel the loss of engine power too if the voltage dropped that far.

So I would start checking for loose connections first... Doubt its the bike.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah the bike wasn’t running any different and none of the lights would dim at all whenever itd start to fluctuate. Its supposed to rain this week so I’ll start going through and track down that loose connection. Thanks again guys!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts