Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

721 - 740 of 766 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
"brake pad" fell off?!!! front or back?

or wait, this is on your bicycle, right? still that sucks...
Bicycle--rear pad fittings appear to have loosened up on one side, still had the front brakes but I was conscious of the need to apply them gently so I didn't go flying.

Reactions: b0Xcrash

·
Registered
660 Posts
stick your foot on the front tire, behind the forks.. that will stop you real quick!!! i had that brilliant idea when i was about 8 years old. over the bars in an instant..
Ouch!

You made me think of when my Mom said that she grabbed too much front brake on her bicycle as a kid and went flying. I think a lot of my being cautious comes from her having been an adventurous tomboy. She knew what I was about to get up to before I could finish the thought. :) Its almost been a quarter century since my parents passed. Seems to have become time for a beer. 🍺

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
stick your foot on the front tire, behind the forks.. that will stop you real quick!!! i had that brilliant idea when i was about 8 years old. over the bars in an instant..
Lol, funny you say that. I was born and raised first 10 years of my life during the 70's - 80's in what use to be a bigger inner city, Cleveland, OH and when I was younger and could not afford a nice bike that had good front brakes I would do this, to do endo's and freestyle.......

·
Registered
660 Posts
Since I didn't feel all that energetic upon awakening, I skipped the normal hour with the Pedal Ninja and had another garage day.

My garage's former owner had a single bicycle rack on the wall. Its housed my wife's bike while mine has been on its kickstand. I bought two wall racks--the former owner had stripped the mounting screws, and the racks were cheap enough that a matched set appealed to my OCD instead of just using two new screws. I don't think the former owner ever met a screw that he wouldn't strip. Vise-Grip plyers have been my go-to tool. The old wall rack is now in our donation pile.

Then I mounted a mini-bin rack for all the misc. bits & bobs that are needed in the garage rather than at my basement workbench. It neatens up the shelves where this stuff had just been sitting and taking up space in a very inefficient manner. And I rearranged some of the stuff on my wall racks and pegboard.

And thus I arrived at beer-thirty. I opened the auxiliary beer fridge to see what was available. But butterfingers let a loose bottle break on the floor. Apparently I have an alcohol abuse issue. So, it was instead time to clean up the glass, move everything on the floor out, and hose out the garage.

Now it's beer-thirty.

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
I did a job on my SV today that I've never done to a bike before: Full ABS removal. I'm not going to do a full 'how to' as this is not the correct forum lol, but I think it would be fair to say that it's probably easier to do on the SV than the Ninja as the main ABS unit is in a very accessible location underneath the battery box.
I remember plugging the ports for the front lines on my Ninja last year when I fitted the direct (braided) line to the caliper and the ABS unit was in a tight $hit of a spot tucked behind the steering head.

The whole job took about 3-4 hrs. There are steel lines running from the front of the bike to the ABS unit at the rear and the 10mm running nuts on the ends of those were right mongrels to get undone. You need the proper flare wrench spanner or you risk rounding off the hex points and then your stuffed.
Once the connections were released the lines themselves were proving to be a mare to thread out from the frame so I just chopped them in the end - who me rough?!

The whole shooting match including the slotted rings on the wheels and the sensors came in at just under 2kg (4.4lb) on the kitchen scales, so less junk in the trunk for good lap times.

The most nervous bit was at the end of the job after I had disconnected the main electrical plug off the ABS unit and saw how many wires were going into it. Was thinking there may be some re-wiring required before the bike would go... but no, it started up as per normal. Sure the ABS light is glowing on the dash but that's to be expected and wont hinder me.

Interesting job.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I didn't think that the world needed more troubles. But here comes a new one to watch out for: Fond du Lac man charged with hate crime; accused of intentionally killing motorcyclist

A guy in a pickup rammed and killed a Harley rider. It's being charged as a hate crime. The investigating officer heard the defendant say it was intentional. Asked why, the defendant said that he assumed the Harley rider was White. The defendant is a Hispanic and he apparently believed that Whites were poisoning him.

IMHO, this is a case of an untreated mental illness more than a hate crime. I've seen it several times in my career, but never quite so violently. I don't want to create a political argument, but more resources spent up front to identify and treat mental illnesses may result in less crime and may reduce overall costs by our having less prisoners. And people shouldn't be discouraged from getting the help they need by being ostracized or passed over for jobs if it becomes known.

Reactions: airhead83

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Sure the ABS light is glowing on the dash but that's to be expected and wont hinder me.

Interesting job.
Nicely done.

You know this reminds me of when I was a teen in the late 80's early 90's and just starting to learn about working on cars, the right way(was already working on dirtbikes, motorcycles and anything with 2 wheels) if somebody had a light on in the dash, SRS, ABS, check engine, etc. and the car was still running good enough to get from A to B they would take a small drill bit and drill straight into the cluster until they hit the bulb and put the light out......lol

The ones who had not drilled the hole yet, and did not want to fix the problem I would pull the clusters and remove the bulb for them instead(since most were two screws and maybe two more to get the steering column covers loose to get the cluster out)

This also lead me to installing alot of stereo systems and speakers in cars the right way, with amps and crossovers, etc.

Of course when I had my own car I tried everything to fix the issue, unless it was a non-essential item or a mod that caused a light to come on in the dash, then I would just pull the bulb...lol

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
Nicely done.

You know this reminds me of when I was a teen in the late 80's early 90's and just starting to learn about working on cars, the right way(was already working on dirtbikes, motorcycles and anything with 2 wheels) if somebody had a light on in the dash, SRS, ABS, check engine, etc. and the car was still running good enough to get from A to B they would take a small drill bit and drill straight into the cluster until they hit the bulb and put the light out......lol

The ones who had not drilled the hole yet, and did not want to fix the problem I would pull the clusters and remove the bulb for them instead(since most were two screws and maybe two more to get the steering column covers loose to get the cluster out)

This also lead me to installing alot of stereo systems and speakers in cars the right way, with amps and crossovers, etc.

Of course when I had my own car I tried everything to fix the issue, unless it was a non-essential item or a mod that caused a light to come on in the dash, then I would just pull the bulb...lol
Yeah I'm seeing this more and more at my work now with our fleet. Just this week I've had three 'light on' issues to sort. Of the three only one of them was actually an issue. (faulty ABS sensor at the wheel) the other two were cleared by key cycling. I had the CEL glowing on a Mercedes tipper truck and the agent said "just cycle the key three times". It worked. The other one cleared it'self overnight - Sometimes you get lucky! :giggle:
When the guys call up on the RT I just ask them if all the vital signs are good (coolant temp, oil pressure etc) and if they are I just tell em to keep on truckin cos 9 times outta 10 there's not an actual issue.
It's a complicated world these days.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I didn't think that the world needed more troubles. But here comes a new one to watch out for: Fond du Lac man charged with hate crime; accused of intentionally killing motorcyclist

A guy in a pickup rammed and killed a Harley rider. It's being charged as a hate crime. The investigating officer heard the defendant say it was intentional. Asked why, the defendant said that he assumed the Harley rider was White. The defendant is a Hispanic and he apparently believed that Whites were poisoning him.

IMHO, this is a case of an untreated mental illness more than a hate crime. I've seen it several times in my career, but never quite so violently. I don't want to create a political argument, but more resources spent up front to identify and treat mental illnesses may result in less crime and may reduce overall costs by our having less prisoners. And people shouldn't be discouraged from getting the help they need by being ostracized or passed over for jobs if it becomes known.
Navarro’s parents said their son had been isolating himself and spent most of his time watching the news.
there you go, spending his time alone watching the news. thats whats wrong with him. news will make you crazy. or in his case, loco.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Good News! My Pedal Ninja work is paying off. My blood pressure is down enough that they're experimenting by reducing my meds. If this keeps up, maybe elimination can be possible.

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
Good News! My Pedal Ninja work is paying off. My blood pressure is down enough that they're experimenting by reducing my meds. If this keeps up, maybe elimination can be possible.
Keep pedaling, you wont know yourself shortly at this rate 😄

·
Registered
660 Posts
Keep pedaling, you wont know yourself shortly at this rate 😄
Weight/BMI, resting heart rate, blood oxygen all went slightly in the right direction as well. Now I just have to keep it up.

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
It’s something else everyone around me locally thinks bikes are a death trap, but here we all have the same interest that brought us here and we must be the non believers.

Or maybe we are in denial or maybe I’m just dumb lol.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
It’s something else everyone around me locally thinks bikes are a death trap, but here we all have the same interest that brought us here and we must be the non believers.

Or maybe we are in denial or maybe I’m just dumb lol.

C92D120A-5C73-4244-9BBC-91391B3FB58D.jpeg

“*THEN“...that typo bugs me...LOL

·
Premium Member
755 Posts

Reactions: SUGOMI

·
Registered
667 Posts
I just took it for everyday speech. There's a difference in playing with words... like BanjoBoy often uses... and not knowing it.. which he obviously does... even if he hasn't quiet figured out those opposable thumbs yet.;)
My adult daughter doesn't know the difference in the use of: there, their, or they're... so she just randomly plugs one in when she needs it. Since she hasn't heard a word I've said since she was 5 years old, I blame her lack of proper English on her Mom. :whistle:

721 - 740 of 766 Posts