Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

381 - 400 of 447 Posts

·
Super Moderator
666 Posts
An oncoming pickup truck decided it would let loose a twin sized mattress
When I get on my bike, one of my first thoughts is how am I going to avoid the pickup with a mattress flying off..:grin: or the tire bouncing over the median onto the car in front of you or the car doing a 5 lane change at 85mph...

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Some years ago, I was riding on a 2 lane rural road, very little traffic, and a comfortable 50MPH speed limit. An oncoming pickup truck decided it would let loose a twin sized mattress, that was "too heavy to move around" since the loader/driver was only going a few miles down the road. As it set sail about 15 feet in the air, I tried to speed up and duck under it. I kept the bike upright but the mattress caught the top of the windshield/fairing doing damage to them and various other panels that had been forced in all sorts of directions. I was unhurt and limped my Beemer home on one of it's two cylinders. . a side panel broke off one spark plug. Try finding body panels for a 26 year old bike that wasn't too popular when new. You truly can't fix stupid and careless. :plain:
There's some douche bags out there alright. Did you actually keep the bike upright?

I've got a few friends who track ride only and wont ride on the road. I would never go that far myself but I do get it.

I did 330 miles yesterday without even a small incident which is unusual sadly. I did have to contend with some of the strongest winds I've ridden in on the Ninja though. Down to 45 MPH at one stage just trying to hold my line and weathering the big gusts.
I worked out that gripping the tank with your knees more and keeping the arms loose (like racing) helps lessen the effect of the gusts.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #383
There's some douche bags out there alright. Did you actually keep the bike upright?

I've got a few friends who track ride only and wont ride on the road. I would never go that far myself but I do get it.

I bet you might if you lived where I live, or in a few other cities I've been to lol If I lived in NZ, I would probably start riding on the street again :) According to google, the population of the south island is just over 1 million. That's about 60-65% of the population of the metro area I live in, which if it was a circle, it would be roughly a 25-30 mile diameter circle.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
I bet you might if you lived where I live, or in a few other cities I've been to lol If I lived in NZ, I would probably start riding on the street again :) According to google, the population of the south island is just over 1 million. That's about 60-65% of the population of the metro area I live in, which if it was a circle, it would be roughly a 25-30 mile diameter circle.
We've got the odd area that sucks here too like the whole city of Auckland where 35% of the countries population lives.

You'll love the South Island when you get out here. I've heard people refer to it as one big motorcycle race track. :D
The quality of the road surface is slipping though, may not be up to US standards, not sure.

·
Super Moderator
666 Posts
may not be up to US standards, not sure.
We have no standard, or, our standard is that we have no standard. Just driving in Victoria, BC , much better than California roads. Problem there is that they stay cold and wet. In fact Highway 1D in Baja Mexico is so much better than California roads. I'm starting to wonder where all of our road tax money is going:crying:

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #386
We've got the odd area that sucks here too like the whole city of Auckland where 35% of the countries population lives.

You'll love the South Island when you get out here. I've heard people refer to it as one big motorcycle race track. :D
The quality of the road surface is slipping though, may not be up to US standards, not sure.

We don't really have a standard lol Quality of roads varies greatly in the US depending on where you are. For example in Texas and most of the middle of the country they suck, in California they suck for the most part too, but here on the east coast, around they're better.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Finished painting the chassis this morning. Waiting on paint to finish the rear wheels. Going to install front wheels tomorrow and start the wiring. Won’t be able to finish the wiring since I have not bought the 12v conversion parts yet. Drained the trans/hydraulic system oil and filled with diesel fuel. Have a 1/4 air line shoved down there bubbling air from a compressor. Really helps clean the funk out of the cases. I’ll drain that and fill with the standard 80w90 gear oil tomorrow.

Need to prep and paint the hood/grill assembly, saving that for last.

Attachments

·
Registered
571 Posts

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Finished painting the chassis this morning. Waiting on paint to finish the rear wheels. Going to install front wheels tomorrow and start the wiring. Won’t be able to finish the wiring since I have not bought the 12v conversion parts yet. Drained the trans/hydraulic system oil and filled with diesel fuel. Have a 1/4 air line shoved down there bubbling air from a compressor. Really helps clean the funk out of the cases. I’ll drain that and fill with the standard 80w90 gear oil tomorrow.

Need to prep and paint the hood/grill assembly, saving that for last.
Might as well add the velocity stacks while you've got her stripped down eh.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Lol they do sell a velocity stack. Some people compete in tractor pulls and do a little tweaking to up the factory horsepower of 23 crank hp. It’s an old flathead. Basically half of an old flathead v8. Shares many of the same internal parts.

I the Chevrolet v6 4.3 gas motor is a popular swap.

I prefer her in her 74 year old glory.

·
Registered
913 Posts

I did 330 miles yesterday without even a small incident which is unusual sadly. I did have to contend with some of the strongest winds I've ridden in on the Ninja though. Down to 45 MPH at one stage just trying to hold my line and weathering the big gusts.
I worked out that gripping the tank with your knees more and keeping the arms loose (like racing) helps lessen the effect of the gusts.

Yeah after my bad accident in 2007, they told my wife I may not live through the helicopter ride, then the surgery, that had me laid up for months I was going to only track. But it was so difficult to ride only at the track, work a full time job, have a family, etc. I was riding maybe once a month or two, plus it can be costly to do all that traveling, that after some long prayer and seeking I decided I would control myself and have boundaries by riding smaller bikes on the street. No liter bikes or 150hp + at the rear wheel cause it is so easy to hit 120+ without even thinking and rolling through corners and etc. running triple digits

I mean if you are really in the zone your not looking at the speed anyway.......

Yeah pickups can be the worst........half of the time somebody is hauling something in the bed and its not even strapped down and they still wanna run 20-30mph over the speed limit
Also I try to avoid the interstate, and if I have to, any pickups or etc. I always make a point to get around them and out front. Too many trash bags, mattress's, plywood, 2x4's, tarps, brush, etc. flying off those things or falling off trailers and dancing all over the place.

Planks or pieces of wood can be some of the worst when they fall off cause they do not always go the same direction....they tend to slide and dance back and forth making it hard to predict your course of avoidance.

On another note...how about this new forum/look? This is going to take some time to get use to..............

Also woke up to this, this morning...was 70 something the other day.....typical weather in TN...........

·
Registered
279 Posts
For Big Bang Theory fans:

Newton's Fourth Law of Motion:
An object dropped from a workbench is attracted to the nearest inaccessible location.

Baxter's Corollary to Newton's Fourth Law of Motion:
The force attracting an object dropped from a workbench to the nearest inaccessible location increases exponentially with the difficulty of replacing the object.

Lets just say there's a reason that window screen mesh is duct taped over the floor drain near my basement workbench.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #394
So this forum changed formats too...I guess I should've known it was coming since the ZX6R forum changed a couple days ago. @Kiwi Rider, it shows you being a Moderator now. Are you back from "retirement" to mod duties on here? :)

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #395
Stuck in Detroit airport for a few hours on my way home from the Northwest. In part because of a plane maintenance issue, and another 3.5 hours because I volunteered to give up my seat to someone else. Delta gave me an $800 voucher to take a later flight (only 3.5 hours later). I'd say it was well worth it :D Food and drinks are free in the Delta lounge anyway so waiting here is not so bad :)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Stuck in Detroit airport for a few hours on my way home from the Northwest. In part because of a plane maintenance issue, and another 3.5 hours because I volunteered to give up my seat to someone else. Delta gave me an $800 voucher to take a later flight (only 3.5 hours later). I'd say it was well worth it :D Food and drinks are free in the Delta lounge anyway so waiting here is not so bad :)
In 3 1/2 hours, I could consume another $200-$300 freebies in the lounge. As long as somebody was pre-assigned to get me to the plane and in my seat on time.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #397
In 3 1/2 hours, I could consume another $200-$300 freebies in the lounge. As long as somebody was pre-assigned to get me to the plane and in my seat on time.:rolleyes:
Well with my luck of course things didn't turn out as easy as they should've been. That 3.5 hours turned into 14 hours in the end. A couple of delays and then at 10 pm they told us the plane wasn't coming anymore due to some mechanical issues that they can't fix quick, so the flight got moved to this morning when they had another plane available. So Delta put up everyone in a hotel for the night, and then et another early morning of waking up at 4:30 to go to the airport. Finally made it home around 9:00 am today. Had I known this was going to happen I probably wouldn't have volunteered.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Ouch. Years ago, I was eating lunch at a restaurant in midst of "Cajun Country" in south Louisiana, when it came up one of the worst hail storms I'd ever seen. Next thing I knew the cook and two servers were headed outside with buckets to gather their "free ice" for the bar. True Story!! Sometimes, it's just how you look at things. (y)

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
So this forum changed formats too...I guess I should've known it was coming since the ZX6R forum changed a couple days ago. @Kiwi Rider, it shows you being a Moderator now. Are you back from "retirement" to mod duties on here? :)
First time on, like others have said, gonna take some getting used to... Will remain positive at this stage.
I think my title must have got accidentally reinstated during the switch. Atomic is still the man and I'm the just the guy who was. I went to send @Administrator a PM (sorry I mean start a conversation Lol) but I couldn't work out if I was actually sending a PM or announcing to all and sundry?? This was a testing moment for my positive outlook policy. 😄

·
Registered
571 Posts
Ouch. Years ago, I was eating lunch at a restaurant in midst of "Cajun Country" in south Louisiana, when it came up one of the worst hail storms I'd ever seen. Next thing I knew the cook and two servers were headed outside with buckets to gather their "free ice" for the bar. True Story!! Sometimes, it's just how you look at things. (y)
Reminds me of the movie The Waterboy where the guy said life is what you make it. And it sounds like he was saying he liked to see home boys naked.

381 - 400 of 447 Posts