Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 766 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting off a thread for pretty much any discussion/comments. No set topic here. Post whatever you want (within the forum rules of course).

I'll start off with my trailer upgrades project I've been working on recently which I'm pretty much done with. Got new tires and a new jack. Got some LED exterior lights on and fixed the canopy (sort of...enough to make it work but it's not great). Then I got a marine battery and DC to AC inverter and set it all up so I can run everything in the trailer besides the AC on the battery for a short time. This will come in handy whenever I go somewhere and I don't have access to power right away and so I don't have to run my generator just to power up some lights or fan or the mini fridge. Plus it'll be nice to have the beer cold as soon as I get to the track, rather than have to wait for the fridge to get cold :)

Winter sucks, but it's nice to have more free time on weekends and cooler weather to work on these types of projects!

·
Registered
724 Posts
The only thing I enjoy about winter is being able to look up at the stars at night. The air is always clear compared to our southern summers with the high humidity.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I spent the day drinking bourbon and hanging around the house. Changed the oil on the wife’s car.
Wasted an hour or two on the PS4 and watched a couple of the Child’s Play movies.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only thing I enjoy about winter is being able to look up at the stars at night. The air is always clear compared to our southern summers with the high humidity.

At least you live farther south so I'm guessing your winters are pretty mild. Can't complain though how it is here either. Almost my whole life I've lived in areas where it snows during winter and it's common for temperatures to get in the single digits or even below zero (Fahrenheit!). Since I moved to VA, I haven't seen snow here and I haven't seen a day below 20 degrees. It just rains a lot here which kinda sucks :/

·
Registered
660 Posts
Northern winters can be fun for people who have some sort of outdoor activity they like to do, such as skiing, snowmobiling, etc. I don't. So bah, humbug! The new fallen snow can be pretty. And there is something to be said for winter nesting. Fires in the fireplace, hot cider (with a shot of rum), the holidays. But come January, it's been enough already.

With winter approaching, today I spread bug killer & rodent repellant around the foundation because the recent colder temps will be encouraging the critters to find someplace warm and cozy. And the hoses needed to be disconnected. I like the double protection that the builder or the initial homeowners put in to the outdoor faucets--they're freeze-proof designs and they have cutoffs accessible in the basement that make them even more resistant to damage from the cold. Yea forethought and good planning!

Yarddog, you appear to have the plan for dealing with winter.

Reactions: sbk1198

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Starting off a thread for pretty much any discussion/comments. No set topic here. Post whatever you want (within the forum rules of course).

I'll start off with my trailer upgrades project I've been working on recently which I'm pretty much done with. Got new tires and a new jack. Got some LED exterior lights on and fixed the canopy (sort of...enough to make it work but it's not great). Then I got a marine battery and DC to AC inverter and set it all up so I can run everything in the trailer besides the AC on the battery for a short time. This will come in handy whenever I go somewhere and I don't have access to power right away and so I don't have to run my generator just to power up some lights or fan or the mini fridge. Plus it'll be nice to have the beer cold as soon as I get to the track, rather than have to wait for the fridge to get cold :)

Winter sucks, but it's nice to have more free time on weekends and cooler weather to work on these types of projects!
Heck yeah, I hear ya brotha.

You have an enclosed trailer? nice! I have one of the 3 bike hauler external ones, but its my first trailer so I am kind of excited I can start going to the track and not have to bum rides.
I need to do a couple things to it, all the lights work but I bought the LED upgrades. Also going to weld on a few trays for some ammo cans to put tie downs in one and tools in the other.
Also going to make another deep dish tray that I can put gas cans in. :grin:

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
At least you live farther south so I'm guessing your winters are pretty mild. Can't complain though how it is here either. Almost my whole life I've lived in areas where it snows during winter and it's common for temperatures to get in the single digits or even below zero (Fahrenheit!). Since I moved to VA, I haven't seen snow here and I haven't seen a day below 20 degrees. It just rains a lot here which kinda sucks :/
Yard dog is a little further south than me, but being from Cleveland, OH I do not miss that cold lake air and all that darn snow.......screw that mess, lol

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Northern winters can be fun for people who have some sort of outdoor activity they like to do, such as skiing, snowmobiling, etc. I don't. So bah, humbug! The new fallen snow can be pretty. And there is something to be said for winter nesting. Fires in the fireplace, hot cider (with a shot of rum), the holidays. But come January, it's been enough already.

My thoughts exactly! I actually quite like November and December. Gives me a chance to cool down and relax after racing season's over, and the holidays are there too, so it's all good times. But by the time January rolls around I'm ready for warmer weather again, so January and February for me are the worst lol

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Heck yeah, I hear ya brotha.

You have an enclosed trailer? nice! I have one of the 3 bike hauler external ones, but its my first trailer so I am kind of excited I can start going to the track and not have to bum rides.
I need to do a couple things to it, all the lights work but I bought the LED upgrades. Also going to weld on a few trays for some ammo cans to put tie downs in one and tools in the other.
Also going to make another deep dish tray that I can put gas cans in. :grin:

Yeah my progression went like this: tiny cheap open trailer, only good enough for one bike, but could be towed with anything. Then i went to a 6x12 low-profile enclosed trailer. Then last year I went to a 8.5x16 one, which has plenty of other amenities (electrical outlets, lights, AC/heater, mini fridge, queen size bed, awning). I typically take 2 bikes with me plus the scooter, so it's nice to have the extra room. It's a bitch to tow though. I would need a 3/4 ton truck, but that's too expensive. A 1/2 ton can do it, but it's not great.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
I hate daylight savings time...now it gets dark at 5pm...??

For those outside the US it’s when we change our clocks back one hour in the fall, the change them one hour forward in the spring. Not all time zones participate. We just had ours last night...

Reactions: Baxter

·
Registered
724 Posts
Yard dog is a little further south than me, but being from Cleveland, OH I do not miss that cold lake air and all that darn snow.......screw that mess, lol
My boss sent me to Cleveland last year, about March for a training class. When the plane was dropping down to land I was looking out the window wondering what all the white stuff was. It was COLD when I went to the shore of Lake Erie!! Much too cold for my southern blood.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
My boss sent me to Cleveland last year, about March for a training class. When the plane was dropping down to land I was looking out the window wondering what all the white stuff was. It was COLD when I went to the shore of Lake Erie!! Much too cold for my southern blood.
What’s up @yarddog ?

My dad lives in Soperton, Ga and I was born in Brunswick. I hope to get out there to visit him for the Holidays/New Year maybe...

·
Registered
724 Posts
Good ole South Georgia. I take many rides down that way. Not so much for great motorcycle roads, but there is something about the southern end of our state that I enjoy. So many small towns that time has forgotten, most saw their peak in the 20’s, and were but a shadow of their glory days by the 60’s.
And there is something about riding through fields of produce as far as you can see

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Right, I seem to make my way up there every 10-20 years for a couple days and when I do, it usually falls in the winter and the last time I did I finally understood the meaning of "It is so cold I can feel it in my bones" I really could feel the cold in my bones...or maybe it was that titanium plate in my arm, lol :grin:

·
Registered
724 Posts
Right, I seem to make my way up there every 10-20 years for a couple days and when I do, it usually falls in the winter and the last time I did I finally understood the meaning of "It is so cold I can feel it in my bones" I really could feel the cold in my bones...or maybe it was that titanium plate in my arm, lol :grin:
i had a rental car, and so when i had spare time i drove around seeing different things. knowing i likely would never be in the area again. the lake was still ringed with floating miniature icebergs, and a good 20 mph wind off the lake was much colder than i had felt before. i had a stocking cap on and a thick coat, but after about 45 minutes of walking around taking in the beauty, my ears was burning so bad i had to go back to the car.

it got up to 69 one day, and it was major news. a record breaker, people walking around in t shirts. and then the next day it was sleeting. i would never live up there. i can handle 100 degree summer with 90 humidity all day long. but let it drop below 40 and i am not a fan.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I think it's funny when people who have always lived in warm areas go to colder areas during the winter lol I work with a guy from Mexico and one from Spain and they always complain about cold once it drops in the 40s and show up with winter coats. Always cracks me up and I tell them they have no idea what real cold is lol Need to go to Wisconsin, Minnesota or North Dakota in January if you want to see what real cold is like. Granted I haven't quite experienced those extreme days either, but I've been around when it was -15 to -25 with the wind chill, and that's COLD!!

·
Registered
724 Posts
I think it's funny when people who have always lived in warm areas go to colder areas during the winter lol I work with a guy from Mexico and one from Spain and they always complain about cold once it drops in the 40s and show up with winter coats. Always cracks me up and I tell them they have no idea what real cold is lol Need to go to Wisconsin, Minnesota or North Dakota in January if you want to see what real cold is like. Granted I haven't quite experienced those extreme days either, but I've been around when it was -15 to -25 with the wind chill, and that's COLD!!
you keep your deep freezer, i'll keep my oven!!

·
Registered
667 Posts
you keep your deep freezer, i'll keep my oven!!
I went for a 130 mile ride yesterday morning in 38F here in NC. I saw one other brave soul on a sport bike when I normally see dozens. I guess it's what you make of it. Turn up those heated grips, another couple layers of clothing, and hope for the best. :wink:

·
Registered
724 Posts
I went for a 130 mile ride yesterday morning in 38F here in NC. I saw one other brave soul on a sport bike when I normally see dozens. I guess it's what you make of it. Turn up those heated grips, another couple layers of clothing, and hope for the best. :wink:
if i am going for a ride, upper 30's is really good riding weather. but i dont want to layer up like that just to ride to work or somewhere short. I wear Under Armour like under clothes under my leather and they make a really big difference in warmth

·
Registered
660 Posts
It's funny how our bodies adapt to the local weather. After living in Chicago for about 40 years, my parents moved to my Mom's hometown in North Carolina. At first, they didn't need more than light jackets in the winter months. But after a few years they were wearing their heavy winter coats when I, having lived in North Dakota for about five years at that time, would be able to get by with a light jacket or even just a sweater.

Conversely, I now think that 80f is hot.

1 - 20 of 766 Posts