Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I do not believe this topic is posted on any other threads but if it is, redirect me and this post can be deleted. :)

I never had a radiator guard for my first bike which was air cooled. I know the purpose of having a guard but is there a high likely hood of leaks, damage or other issues without one? I understand it just has to be one incident to cause issues so it's probably worth the investment and piece of mind. I do not plan to invest the time and parts to make one myself.

The ones I found online seem kind of pricey. Is anyone aware of other after market ones that are cheaper?

Kawasaki OEM $69.99 USD
https://www.kawasaki.com/accessories/item/2018-ninja-400-abs/radiator-trim/EX400GJF/999941048

R&G £49.99 GBP (~$67.59 USD)
https://www.rg-racing.com/browsetype/Radiator_Guards/Kawasaki/Ninja_400/

Radguard $119.99 USD
https://www.radguard.com.au/products/kawasaki-ninja-400-se-2018-radiator-guard.html

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'm looking forward to Kiwi Rider chiming in on this one since I'm pretty sure he'd remove his whole radiator for weight savings if he thought he could get away without it let alone adding a guard. :icon_scratch:

Personally, I've never bothered with one on any of my street bikes and have never had a problem. (looking presently for some wood to knock on).

·
Registered
145 Posts
Many many years of riding without a single problem in a radiator. However..., however..., I saw someone recommending a Chinese-eBay-$25 rad guard for the N300 some time ago and I got it. The fit wasn't perfect, but a little bit of pulling and pushing made it fit. This is what I got:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/322162909104?autorefresh=true

Price list is $29, but they got my $25 offer.

Maybe it fits on the N400 as well, or maybe they make it now for the N400 already. Ask them.

I don't think is worth paying much for a rad guard. A piece of metal mesh tied with wires would do it as well. Only to prevent the very bad luck of a little rock hitting the rad and making a hole.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes waiting for @Kiwi Rider to provide his 2 cents also :) Maybe experience on his other bikes.

I'm not cheap but I don't want waste money on parts that are not functionally needed. I rather put the extra money towards gear or other mods since I still want a taller windscreen, Akra slip on, and better seat.

If anyone has had radiator damage or issues by not installing a guard, please chime in.

·
Registered
145 Posts
It does happen, that's for sure. A rock hits the rad, it leaks, you see the temp light and call the towing.
What are the chances and is it worth? Those are the questions.

$100 on a rad guard? Big no no.
DIY with mesh? Maybe on a long a boring weekend.
$25 for a plug and play that only adds 2lbs of weight? Why not?

·
Registered
182 Posts
. . . $100 on a rad guard? Big no no.
DIY with mesh? Maybe on a long a boring weekend.
$25 for a plug and play that only adds 2lbs of weight? Why not?
I'm already getting dings on my radiator fins (from pebbles thrown up by the front wheel, I guess) so I would like to get one but not for $70 or more. $25 seems more reasonable but haven't found one yet. Zip tie a mesh screen on? -- If someone has done it, it would be nice to know how (what type of mesh screen would be best, etc.)

·
Registered
501 Posts
Hi, I am wondering if anyone from the US or parts of the world where you can get it for the price as is; willing to do me a favor.

I want to purchase the radiator guard.

All of the sites that sales OEM parts chrage ridiclous amount of shipping for it.

Ebay is my best option but it becomes about 110$ and that's before i'll have to pay taxes 48.1% :/

I am wondering if anyone is willing to send me the whole kit 99994-1048 of the radiator guard (I will pay for the shipping and a bit extra on the side) with a shipping that will include tracking through ebay.

The package itself must be marked as a gift and to be written value of less than 75$.

If anyone is willing to be help a follower Ninja 400'er in need... i will be very happy

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I'm already getting dings on my radiator fins (from pebbles thrown up by the front wheel, I guess) so I would like to get one but not for $70 or more. $25 seems more reasonable but haven't found one yet. Zip tie a mesh screen on? -- If someone has done it, it would be nice to know how (what type of mesh screen would be best, etc.)
For that just grab the 300 one and zip tie it on any old place. If zip tie, the holes don't have to match up.

But, anyone have a 300?
Measure the mounting tabs center of the hole to center of hole left to right. Then measure from one tab on the bottom to one tab on the top, center to center.

Post the measurements and we can measure the 400 and see how close or far off they are

I might be able to get someone on eBay to measure them for us, lol.

·
Registered
656 Posts
That guard is just eye candy.... Might be useful if it was mounted an inch or so off the radiator to stop brush, it cant guard against pebbles, Dont see the bike picking up anything but the smallest debris of the road with current tread the mounted tires have. Not to mention N400 already seems starved for air, no reason to make it worse.

Heres my N250 Radiator after 30,000 miles... Still looks pretty good.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'd like to add that any type of "guard" like the ones available can only lessen airflow over the radiator. Subaru guys have run them for years on intercoolers and while they may prevent the odd rock or two they aren't doing anything worth having it on.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Radiator guard

I don't know how many degrees hotter a guard will make the 400, but it can't be more than a few. Ebay sells the 300 model for $20 delivered. The cheapest for the 400, so far, is $48.44 delivered. The 2 models look a lot alike. A single rock could cost more than $20.

Attachments

·
Registered
656 Posts
I don't know how many degrees hotter a guard will make the 400, but it can't be more than a few. Ebay sells the 300 model for $20 delivered. The cheapest for the 400, so far, is $48.44 delivered. The 2 models look a lot alike. A single rock could cost more than $20.
The one with the Ninja logo is sweet looking wouldn't kill allot of air flow just create a hot spot behind the logo maybe.... However you would be surprised how much airflow that second guard would stop.

If you have been lurking theses forums I'm sure you've read the new N400 runs on the warm side, I can confirm this with photos of dried green flaks building up at the bottom of the hose from the pressure release cap on the expansion tank, I think it may have to due to the air deflector just behind the radiator fan causing a restriction to air flow, Just an opinion.

Hey I can see if your riding on dirt roads allot, it may be worth the investment. Your radiator is really only exposed to the debris that your tire picks up, Pretty much the front forks, tire and fender shield it from flying debris coming at you from traffic.

Never had a punctured radiator from road riding, Fingers crossed never will.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
... Your radiator is really only exposed to the debris that your tire picks up, Pretty much the front forks, tire and fender shield it from flying debris coming at you from traffic.

+1 Got my first water cooled road bike in 1988, still waiting for first radiator issue of any sort. Not saying it can't happen but it's rare.
I think a lot of people buy them for the bling factor which is fine, I get that.

·
Registered
656 Posts
+1 Got my first water cooled road bike in 1988, still waiting for first radiator issue of any sort. Not saying it can't happen but it's rare.
I think a lot of people buy them for the bling factor which is fine, I get that.
What's your opinion on any air flow restriction...? Have any comments, the first photo with the ninja logo shouldn't cause an issue, maybe some hotspots... but the one in the second photo at higher speeds looks like it would create positive air pressure in front of the radiator. Like electricity, fluids and gasses take a path of least resistance so that one kinda concerns me...

Whats your take on it..?

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
What's your opinion on any air flow restriction...? Have any comments, the first photo with the ninja logo shouldn't cause an issue, maybe some hotspots... but the one in the second photo at higher speeds looks like it would create positive air pressure in front of the radiator. Like electricity fluids and gasses take a path of least resistance so that one kinda concerns me...

Whats your take on it..?
I think it really depends on your climate. Here where I live it wouldn't be an issue and some of my buddies run rad guards.
If I was in a hot climate I would shy away from any sort of restriction and yes I believe these guards would minimise flow to some extent.
It's a no from me.

·
Registered
501 Posts
The one with the Ninja logo is sweet looking wouldn't kill allot of air flow just create a hot spot behind the logo maybe.... However you would be surprised how much airflow that second guard would stop.

If you have been lurking theses forums I'm sure you've read the new N400 runs on the warm side, I can confirm this with photos of dried green flaks building up at the bottom of the hose from the pressure release cap on the expansion tank, I think it may have to due to the air deflector just behind the radiator fan causing a restriction to air flow, Just an opinion.

Hey I can see if your riding on dirt roads allot, it may be worth the investment. Your radiator is really only exposed to the debris that your tire picks up, Pretty much the front forks, tire and fender shield it from flying debris coming at you from traffic.

I think it really depends on your climate. Here where I live it wouldn't be an issue and some of my buddies run rad guards.
If I was in a hot climate I would shy away from any sort of restriction and yes I believe these guards would minimise flow to some extent.
It's a no from me.

Here its 30-40 C all year around... My radiator already looks a little beat up and that's only from 3000km without any dirt / rain riding... So I am really between the fence on the radiator guard. Dont wan't to be in a situation where in 1 or 2 years from now I will be needing to replace / fix it or whatever...

Mike, can you post pictures of what you said with the green flaks? would want to see where is it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just picked up one of these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/for-KAWASAKI-Ninja-400-Motorcycle-Radiator-Grille-Guard-cover-Protection/323772874643

We will see how she fits/works. I am at 900 miles and already have some fins that are closed due to pebbles? Or other things. Here in Oregon you see a post on the group rides every weekend where someone had to flatbed their bike due to a radiator. The unlucky guy with the BMW 1000RR has been through three in the last year? He is usually the super fast leader though so maybe he is likely to see more of it. Lots of loose pea gravel on the sides of the twisties up through the Mt Hood Forrest and down 101 towards California. I am hoping that it does not restrict airflow too much but it's easy enough to remove at any time I figure and for the price I can't beat trying. I noticed full temp bars on the last 85 degree day that we had but the fan came on when it needed to and as soon as I moved the temp went right back down to half so I will have to see how this does this summer and report back to you.

Jesse

·
Registered
403 Posts
got this -- https://www.ebay.com/itm/264312842007

pretty much the same stuff that @holdmyheadwhileipuke has got.
should be here in 10 days. will install right away and indicate the temp differences (its getting hotter so a good test for the thing).

Just picked up one of these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/for-KAWASAKI-Ninja-400-Motorcycle-Radiator-Grille-Guard-cover-Protection/323772874643
I am hoping that it does not restrict airflow too much but it's easy enough to remove at any time I figure and for the price I can't beat trying
Jesse
exactly my logic behind buying one. cheap enough to not break the bank. zip tie it and would take seconds to take it off if required.

·
Registered
403 Posts
got this -- https://www.ebay.com/itm/264312842007

pretty much the same stuff that @holdmyheadwhileipuke has got.
should be here in 10 days. will install right away and indicate the temp differences (its getting hotter so a good test for the thing).
i got the radiator guard and installed it (need to upload pics).
the mesh (orange) is attached to the rectangular metal frame using rivets and is okayish sturdy (for 19 odd $ i dont thing will get better). nothing to be worried about here though. the rectangular metal frame is quite well made btw.
there is a very slight convex bulge in the middle since the mesh is riveted to the metal frame in a not so clean manner but then i am too nitpicky at times.

attached to the radiator using zip ties and it was a breeze.

no noticeable change in the engine temp (but then i have ridden in city traffic for a bit only and the temp was more along the lines of low 70's (22 deg C somewhere).

will update with a whole day long ride thats coming up this saturday.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts