Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I have been calling around to different dealerships about trailers. I work in Construction Management and all our of projects are getting hit hard with lead times on various materials. Steel and lumber have shot up in cost along with a lot of other various materials.... plumbing, electrical, etc. It seems manufacturing plants either are behind on production from being shut down during COVID and do not have their normal man power and/or manufacturers do not have the materials required for their production processes.

Apparently buying trailers right now is no different. I talked to one dealership today and they said a lot of the smaller dealerships are even going out of business.... there just are no trailers available from manufacturers for dealerships to sell.

All that said, I put an order in for a 7x14 tandem axle trailer. T-Rex is the brand. They have a "white out" package. It looks quite nice (probably will be tough to keep clean). Electric brakes on both axles, .03 exterior skin, ramp, 7' interior height, 2021 T-Rex Trailers | 7x14 | Enclosed | 2-3.5k Axles | White Out | Ramp Gate 0000067170 | Lone Star Trailers

It is a good looking trailer with some of the features I was looking for. However the price on this trailer has gone up about $1200 in the last month..... Yea, not thrilled about that.
I could find a different trailer for less, but if I am really going to be doing this I wanted to get a higher quality trailer. This has 16" OC framing, 1 piece roof, and many other features that the cheaper trailers do not have. Lead time for this trailer is about 4-5 weeks. So I am hoping to have it before my next track day and race.

I am planning to do the following for the trailer build
  • Flooring - Some kind of flooring... maybe epoxy? Maybe one of those rubber mat floors? Not sure... and welcome to suggestions
  • Shelving -Built in shelving/work space. This trailer has a V-shape front. I plan to build a work bench in the front and will also have some shelving units/cabinets along the side. Not sure yet exactly how I will lay things out but this is a general idea of what I will do.
  • TRS - I plan to get the pitbull TRS system. No more straps and no more taking the brake guard off!! Yay!
  • Bed - I want to figure out how to building/install some kind of fold down bed. I plan to camp out in the trailer over night depending on the track. Which brings me to the next item...
  • HVAC - I need to figure out a way to rig out a small HVAC unit. This trailer is small so it does not need a large window unit, but obviously something large enough. I have not looked into this much yet so I really have no idea on how this will be done. But I would run my honda generator to power the HVAC. Whether you are in a $80,000 toy hauler or a $7,000 DIY cargo trailer, if you are camping out at these tracks you will need to run a generator for your power. Some of them have 110 power available but it is not a guarantee and that would restrict where you could park/set up. So I will plan to power the AC overnight while camping with the generator. Luckily the Honda EU 2200 is pretty quiet.
  • Lighting - I will want to add some additional lighting inside the trailer. It looks like there is just one dome light. I want to light the interior up a lot.
  • Walls - I may paint the walls or put some kind of FRP on them... not sure yet.

Anyways, I will keep everyone posted. Also, post some pictures of your trailer builds if you have any. I would love to get some ideas from yall.

·
Registered
2017 Suzuki GSXR1000 2010 Suzuki GSXR600 x2 2018/19 N400
573 Posts
i had a custom trailer done and there are a few things that are a must BTW i spent 10k on mine all said and done :sick:

extended ceiling is a MUST !
torsion axles
60am service with 2 outlets inside and 2 GFIs out for tyre warmers and wired for AC (got that at camping world)
some things is cheaper if they did it (interior) you'll have to price it out parts/labor
I just did a real nice inflatable cot from amazon

it took over 6mths to get mine with some road bumps along the way,but end of the day,this company came through and it's probably one of the nicest trailers you;ll ever see in the paddock form a privateer !!

keep your eyes peeled on race forms you may see one already done up for a decent price !

20200821_150131.jpg 20200821_150228.jpg 20200821_150427.jpg 20200827_200631.jpg IMG_20200926_153830_657.jpg

·
Director of Moderation
2,311 Posts
Wow, those guys really went all out with the white paint! lol They even painted the latches and hinges white! lol Surprised the wheels aren't white!

·
Director of Moderation
2,311 Posts
i had a custom trailer done and there are a few things that are a must BTW i spent 10k on mine all said and done :sick:

extended ceiling is a MUST !
torsion axles
60am service with 2 outlets inside and 2 GFIs out for tyre warmers and wired for AC (got that at camping world)
some things is cheaper if they did it (interior) you'll have to price it out parts/labor
I just did a real nice inflatable cot from amazon

it took over 6mths to get mine with some road bumps along the way,but end of the day,this company came through and it's probably one of the nicest trailers you;ll ever see in the paddock form a privateer !!

keep your eyes peeled on race forms you may see one already done up for a decent price !

View attachment 18423 View attachment 18424 View attachment 18425 View attachment 18426 View attachment 18427
Is Street Customs the name of your business I take it?

I second the electric wiring, and also get at least 30 feet of cable (more is better) with every adapter you can think of 50 to 30, 30 to 50, 30 to 15, 50 to 15, etc. Personally I hate running a generator and only do it if I absolutely have to. I have a 3400W generator in my trailer at all times, but so far I've probably only used it about 3-4 times a year because I try to park where there's an electric post usually.

Also, the awning is nice to have (mine broke last year unfortunately and haven't fixed/replaced it), as well as the outdoor lights. That's a nice trailer! A bit small though ;)

·
Registered
573 Posts
there are few tracks in FL that you need a generator I've got 10k because of the AC unit and to be able to run 2 sets of warmers and anything else ! shore line is deff nice to have !! not sure how many bikes you will be hauling but floor space gets swallowed up pretty quick !!!

@sbk1198 yes sir !

·
Director of Moderation
2,311 Posts
there are few tracks in FL that you need a generator I've got 10k because of the AC unit and to be able to run 2 sets of warmers and anything else ! shore line is deff nice to have !! not sure how many bikes you will be hauling but floor space gets swallowed up pretty quick !!!

@sbk1198 yes sir !
Mine is setup with 3 Pitbull TRS for 2 bikes and my Zuma.

It's gonna come in handy now with my move to FL since I was able to fit my whole garage in it, and putting the bikes in the back of the truck. Got my motorcycle lift and my 8'x3'x3' workbench in there, along with a bunch of other stuff lol

·
Director of Moderation
2,311 Posts
when ya coming to Fl !! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Next Friday. Planning on making the first trip this weekend just with my truck and trailer and leave them there. However this whole situation with the lack of gas might ruin my plan. There's like no gas around here, and if it continues like this for the next few days I won't be able to go anywhere. I'll be stuck at home with no gas! Terrible timing for a gas shortage to happen when I have to drive 750 miles doing like 7 mpg! :mad:

·
Registered
573 Posts
ya,I heard that from my buddy that was in the panhandle,that's frkn crazy !! well hopefully it gets better for ya so your trip goes flawlessly !

·
Registered
37 Posts
I put in a similar order in Jan and am waiting for it to arrive shortly. THIS is how I plan to use a window AC unit. The floor units that require drilling exhaust holes are much more expensive and take up more room. I would rather spend the 30 seconds this window mount seems to take to install.

I bought THIS 7x17ft flooring and will cut it to cover. I was told you only need this company's double sided tape and no glue/epoxy is required.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I put in a similar order in Jan and am waiting for it to arrive shortly. THIS is how I plan to use a window AC unit. The floor units that require drilling exhaust holes are much more expensive and take up more room. I would rather spend the 30 seconds this window mount seems to take to install.

I bought THIS 7x17ft flooring and will cut it to cover. I was told you only need this company's double sided tape and no glue/epoxy is required.
Nice! thanks for the info. That flooring looks like a pretty good set up.

Have you seen any roof mounted HVAC units?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wonder if I could get by with a 6x12 cargo trailer instead of the 7x14.... I would probably at most have 2 full size bikes and a pit bike in here. Then the associated gear. Yea... a 6x12 may be a bit tight.

Just trying to reduce the size of the trailer since it will sit in my driveway. I mean, a 7x14 is probably around 17'-18' long total length with the tongue. It will fit in my driveway, but it will just be quite large. I think I could fit about 24' of trailer without blocking any part of the sidewalk. I definitely don't want to encroach on the sidewalk. So the 7x14 should be fine in terms of not blocking the sidewalk, but yea.... that is a pretty big trailer the neighbors will be looking at.

·
Registered
573 Posts
@VielenDank if you only had 2 bikes,a7x 12' would work but if you start adding lots of stuff like work bench and tool chest,your floor space starts to disappear !! so a 14 may be over kill ! best thing to do it make a drawing of the floor plan and see what works best !! i could of gotten the AC form them but there was an issue getting one so I told them to cut the hole and wire it,buddy of mine works at camping world and got me one at his cost and I installed it myself ! Here in FL you need AC or you just get drained siting in the blazing summer heat !

·
Registered
599 Posts
If you go smaller than 7x12 I can pretty much guarantee you’ll regret it. Even at that I find it small for two riders, two bikes, and the pit bike plus all the other stuff like fans, spare wheels, gas, generators, etc. We end of with the trailer and truck bed full.

Make sure the roof has supports for an AC unit.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I spoke to the trailer dealership and they can add a roof mounted AC unit for about $1300. I may do it. They sent me the specs on it

110 Volt
13,500 BTU
Uses about 13 amps - so my Honda EU 2200 could power this.

The AC is a big deal for sure. I can add a lot of the other little things myself, but the AC I would prefer them to do it. They could do a much better job on the install than I could.

·
Registered
599 Posts
JC and his dad run their AC with a single Honda generator just fine. But during they day they need a second one to run tire warmers. He rigged up some extra fuel tanks and runs lines to the generator so it’ll run all night without running out of fuel.

·
Registered
573 Posts
@VielenDank if you can pull off installing it yourself,you can buy one for a lot cheaper,if money is no object then have em do it, it's super nice to have ! as far as your rinky dink generator..um nooo my 5500 barely manages with light ons and anything plugged into outlets.remember you have starting power and running.so if you're gonna have your entire trailer wired like mine you want to run 2 generators to the trailer then have em wire it that way,or you're gonna need to step it up on your output power on the generator ! I have workhorse 7500 and then ,my 10k

1 - 20 of 40 Posts