Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently just purchased and installed flash tune bike side harness and quick shifter. When shifting at high RPM the clutch begins to slip. I was curious if replacing the clutch springs would help this and would like to hear if anyone else has encountered this problem.

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 400 ABS, Pearl Storm Gray
421 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you checked your clutch cable free play to be sure? 2-3mm? See:(1) Weird problems with high rpm | Ninja 400 Riders Forum

What year is your bike? Do you have the new pushrod and bearing that came in 2020? See: Kawasaki Ninja 400 / Z400 Clutch Slipping, Poor Shifting, False Neutrals, and Dropping Gears - Explained and Fixed! (norton-motorsports.com)

Once your plates fry, I believe you have to replace them -- even stronger springs may not be much help if they have been "glazed"...
I have a 2020 so it should have the updated shift rod. Took my bike into the shop to have a rear tire mounted and the guy adjusted my clutch cable and it hasn’t worked correctly since. Now I have been trying to adjust it back and the bike still slips. I have maybe put 30-40 miles on the bike since it was adjusted and I hope they didn’t glaze over that quickly

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you checked your clutch cable free play to be sure? 2-3mm? See:(1) Weird problems with high rpm | Ninja 400 Riders Forum

What year is your bike? Do you have the new pushrod and bearing that came in 2020? See: Kawasaki Ninja 400 / Z400 Clutch Slipping, Poor Shifting, False Neutrals, and Dropping Gears - Explained and Fixed! (norton-motorsports.com)

Once your plates fry, I believe you have to replace them -- even stronger springs may not be much help if they have been "glazed"...
I should also add the clutch slips a lot more when I’m using the quickshifter instead of clutch for shifting.

·
Director of Moderation
3,021 Posts
I recently just purchased and installed flash tune bike side harness and quick shifter. When shifting at high RPM the clutch begins to slip. I was curious if replacing the clutch springs would help this and would like to hear if anyone else has encountered this problem.
I have a 2020 so it should have the updated shift rod. Took my bike into the shop to have a rear tire mounted and the guy adjusted my clutch cable and it hasn’t worked correctly since. Now I have been trying to adjust it back and the bike still slips. I have maybe put 30-40 miles on the bike since it was adjusted and I hope they didn’t glaze over that quickly
30-40 miles with a slipping clutch is a lot. Need to take care of it right away when you notice it slips. Sounds like the mechanic who worked on your bike messed it up and didn't adjust it right if it started happening after that. But if you rode that much and had it slip a lot during those 30-40 miles, you might just need to get a new set of fiber plates.

Quickshifter doesn't affect that. Once you've shifted, then it's already in gear, the shifting mechanism isn't doing anything at that point anymore. The quickshifter only affects how the gears are changed (or not changed if it's not setup right), but the clutch remains engaged the whole time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
30-40 miles with a slipping clutch is a lot. Need to take care of it right away when you notice it slips. Sounds like the mechanic who worked on your bike messed it up and didn't adjust it right if it started happening after that. But if you rode that much and had it slip a lot during those 30-40 miles, you might just need to get a new set of fiber plates.

Quickshifter doesn't affect that. Once you've shifted, then it's already in gear, the shifting mechanism isn't doing anything at that point anymore. The quickshifter only affects how the gears are changed (or not changed if it's not setup right), but the clutch remains engaged the whole time.
I say 30-40 miles just because I had to drive the bike back from the shop to my house. I would’ve taken the time to adjust properly before leaving but unfortunately it was 20 degrees outside so I decided to just get home. The clutch would only slip when I pushed full throttle above 7k RPM. I was very slow coming home and didn’t push it so hopefully a proper adjustment can fix this problem.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Search the forum.
1. The manual shows how to adjust clutch slippage due to poorly adjusted shifter cable, I believe.
2. Shift rod doesn't matter here. What you want are stiffer clutch springs, and while you are in there you should put in the clutch plates. Spears or Barnett.
3. External helper clutch cable spring. Search for it.
4. auto shifter is going to make it more evident as it 'don't give a honey badger's a$$' about easing your clutch into the stock setup, which has weak springs, making it slip. The poor mans slipper clutch.

The problem is solely the stock clutch having weak springs. Inside and out.
Search for it. All the info you need with details, pictures, whatever, it's at your fingertips.
The clutch work is pretty easy, don't be intimidated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts